Fante di Spade Rx (Encyclopedia of Tarot IV)

firemaiden

Okay, that's pretty exciting. I admit I've never laid eyes on the first three volumes, but I gather they're way important. Will the historical articles in the new volume reflect all the research that is new since the earlier volumes?

What's with the title "Fante di Spade Rx" ... sounds kind of ... droopy, LOL.

Jeannette

There's not much in the way of history in vol. IV -- it's mostly documenting decks from the last 15 years (and a few older ones that were missed, for whatever reason, in previous volumes). The historical stuff is pretty much covered in vols. I and II, with a very nice biography of Pamela Smith in vol. III.

The major sections of vol. IV include "Unpublished Decks," "Published Decks" (with special sections for direct RWS variants and Japanese decks), "Antiques and Ancients" (reproductions of historical decks, with a special section on Marseilles decks and Egyptian-themed decks), and "Tarocks." There's also an annotated bibliography with over 1,500 books and articles cited.

And you'll have to ask Umbrae where the "Fante di Spade" comes from. I know it's his handle when he writes the preview column for the Tarot for Life newsletter.

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

rota

Jeannette said:
...you'll have to ask Umbrae where the "Fante di Spade" comes from.

+++++

Isn't it from the Sola Busca: 'Knave of Swords'? :)

Umbrae

So let me get this straight.

I can buy a hot off the press autographed copy of Encyclopedia of Tarot IV for less than retail. (less than retail would mean, cheaper than Amazon dot bomb, or Bum’s and Horribles.

And I get that legendary service that Tarot Garden is known for?

AND if I go the the website of The Tarot Garden I can get a sneak peak?

Jeannette – does it get any better?

I guess if you add in that everytime you purchase from Tarot Garden, and identify yourself as a member of Aeclectic Tarot – a portion of your purchase goes to support this site. You can support the site, get an autographed copy of a great book for less than retail...

Sheeesh!

Oh yeah. Fante di Spade is the Italian name for the Valet of Spades. Rx is Tarot notation for reversed. So Fante di Spade Rx means Valet of Spades reversed – which in traditional book meanings indicates rumors.

So, Fante di Spade Rx is a card of rumors, thus the title of this thread. When I posted it…it was perhaps a rumor...I know there's that guy who does a rumor column for Tarot for Life, "Seeker's Journey"...he calls his column Fante di Spade Rx so I figured - hey - why not.

:smoker:

Jeannette

Umbrae said:
Jeannette – does it get any better?
LOL! Well, I don't know if the news gets any better... but I'm pretty sure that the ringers don't come any better, Umbrae, my luv. :laugh:

-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

gregory

HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM this is all getting a bit like insider trading innit ? LOL :*

Not that I care - Tarotgarden are the BIZ !

jmd

It is indeed great news to soon being able to acquire this fourth volume...

...and thankyou both Jeannette and Umbrae with this further example of keeping Tarot Garden as not only a great place to obtain decks, but be kept informed of developments in the Tarot world.

gregory

Indeed it is - and at a great price - AND to the benefit of the forum if we use the right links to preorder. Like I say - they are the BIZ ! (looks sadly at credit cards bills for last quarter...) (decides she doesn't CARE !) (asks for credit limit raise ? NO NO NO NO....)

Kiama

*Rubs hands together excitedly* And it's being released just in time for my 21st birthday... :D Should have time order it from Tarotgarden and get it shipped over here before the big day.

(My birthday list is getting longer each day... Well, it is my 21st!)

Blessings,

Kiama

PS - Have the other three vols, and loved them all. They come in handy when I want to perv over all the pretty decks! })