Have you dreamed in the other gender?

Have you dreamed in the other gender?

• Yes. I am a woman and have dreamed from the point of view of a man.

Votes: 49 57.6%
  • Yes. I am a man and have dreamed from the point of view of a woman.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • No. I am a woman and do not remember dreaming this way.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • No. I am a man and do not remember dreaming this way.

Votes: 4 4.7%

• Total voters

Sophie-David

Ulfdis said:
An odd note is that in my more aggressive dreams (wrestling with a 7-foot tall blue fairy, cutting out someone's heart and tossing it in the kitchen sink, that sort of thing), I am myself (female). In dreams where I am a man, my actions are not as aggressive or violent.
LOL. I probably shouldn't admit this, Ulfdis, but somehow I found this very funny. Its all in the delivery. Ahem... :joke:

Its been great to have so many and such varied responses! Apart from the fact that 77% of female responders have dreamed in the other gender I'm not quite sure what to conclude, but its fascinating nonetheless. :)

Thank you for two male votes today! Yay Men! Yes, Rusty, I'm happy to say that I still dream about the other gender also. ;)

David

Ulfdis

Sophie-David said:
LOL. I probably shouldn't admit this, Ulfdis, but somehow I found this very funny. Its all in the delivery. Ahem... :joke:

LOL! Those are two of my most memorable dreams. I can't even talk about them without a giggle. Of course, in the dreams, it was all very straightforward. In the "blue fairy" dream, I walked into a beautiful sacred grove with a little waterfall. A little-bitty tinkerbellish fairy flew up to me, and POOF! Suddenly, Tinkerbell is seven feet tall, bright blue, completely bald, and naked but androgynous. And she/he starts wrestling with me.

The other dream was about a person I had met in real life who just didn't seem "right". So, in my dream, I was standing in an unfamiliar kitchen, and that person walked in. I picked up a steak knife, cut out their heart, and threw it in the sink. In my dream, my intuition must have been right, because the heart was small, black and icky-looking.

LOL even my subconscious has a warped sense of humor.

SphinYote

Yes. I am a woman and I have had dreams in which I am the opposite sex.

The first time, or rather times, it was in a series of dreams where I was two people at once, experiencing the dream from both perspectives at thesame time, although within the dreams neither one of my selves were really aware of the perspective of the other. This was when I was about fifteen in real life, and one of my dream selves was the same. The other was a Vietnamese boy who could be anywhere from six to twelve, and while the rest of the details are now blurry, there is the definite knowledge that came with the dream that he was from Saigon, rather than Ho Chi Mihn city. (I will add that at 14 and 15 I was very...poorly informed of politics and knew very little about the Vietnam war or the significance of Ho Chi Mihn city vs. Saigon).

The second time I remember was a few years ago. I actually don't recall if I really became the opposite sex or if people were just mistaking my identity. This may require just the briefest bit of political background--without getting bogged down in the details I am....not particularly fond of the current president. I would like to see him OUT of the presidency. Now on to the dream. I was on a train. People were mistaking me for him. So, in an attempt to undermine him I started saying various...politically incorect things. I figured if people thought I was him, I might as well make him look bad before I quietly left the premises. Well, there were media reporters there, they were tryiong to ask questions to guide me back into more politically correct realms. They clearly were going to ignore everything bad I was saying.

Went on to explore the train. The men and women were segregated. The top level of the train was devoted to the elderly. One poor old man was trying to navigate his way up a set of stairs to that level, and just couldn't make it. I remember thinking what a stupid plan that was to put the elderly at the top where they had to go up flights of steps.

Eventually people started screaming and the train derailed, I wandered off, was myself again (or maybe I always was and it was just the others mistaking me for someone else), and I wandered off before anyone could find me and get me in trouble.

Finally, just a few days ago, I dreamed I was Harry Potter. At the Dursleys, held captive in my room /Harry Potter's room (If you haven't read the books or seen the movies, you probably need to to understand the context...). I had my tongue pierced, which was attached to a chain coming from my mouth. At some point in the dream it got caught in someone's hair, blech, and it hurt, too.

There were a bunch of people from Hogwarts in my room. Vernon Dursley didn't like this, but making the best (in his mind) of what to him would be a bad situation, he started giving my (Harry Potter's) stuff away to the students that were present, who were very reluctant to take it. I remember he was trying to get one kid to take it (the kid was in at least one of the movies but I can't remember which one). I remember saying something along the lines of "Just take it, if you don't he'll just try to give it away to someone else later, at least I know you'll value and take care of it." Dream ended at some point after that.

Just thought I'd share....

Sophie-David

Thank you SphinYote, quite fascinating dreams!

Free Flight

Hi David

I posted here a while back that yes I had dreamed as man (i am woman) but thought I would provide more info as my dream intrigues me still

I am pretty convince that it was a past life dream rather than dreaming in the other gender in my currect life.

xx FF

In the dream I was wearing purple robes and travelling on horseback during a war like attack. It was medieval times although I dont remember any specific scenes which would confirm this statement.
I was an old man and there was a man with me who was younger (perhaps my son??) who put me behind a hillock and then left to fight the battle. As he left me I turned to him and said "extreme unction" and gave him a ring to kiss. He looked at me like I was scum and I think I got the impression there was a long history between us and that I was not a very nice person.....
Now I have never ever in my life heard the words extreme unction. I am not catholic nor have I ever been exposed to any catholic rites.
I looked this up on the internet the next day and extreme unction is a very old rite which is given to the dying, the sick or those about to ride into certain death.
I am blown away. It does stand to reason that I had heard this term recently on the tv or read it...but i have no conscious memory of this. In fact I scoured recent new stories to see if anything came up with this term..just in case...but there was nothing.
So I am came to the conclusion it must have been a past life dream...I have only ever had one other which I am not 100% convinced was a part life dream.
Either way this dream totally rocked my world, I can tell you

Sophie-David

Hi Free Flight

Wow, that is certainly a powerful and somewhat unnerving dream! I am certainly no judge of past life dreams, but there are several anomalies that make it seem more like a dream to me than a recollection. I have also heard dream words that I could have had no previous knowledge of and they have usually been very significant. But in my case I perceived them as coming from the collective unconscious or perhaps some other spiritual connection.

For example, the name of the internal psychic entity who maps to the archetype of the Magician, or my natal Mercury in Aquarius, is Inu - both this entity and his name came to me in dreams. I had already seen that Inu was East Indian before I actually heard his name. This is the very obscure Sanskrit name of one of the Gandharva, a race of celestial beings with both Mercurial and Magical qualities - you won't find this name by Googling, but it does exist in online Sanskrit dictionaries.

In any event, your dream gave you a glimpse into how the other side thinks - but thank god we're not all like your man in purple!

David

PS. But shortly after I posted this, your dream raised a very interesting idea for me. Since I do believe that the soul is eternal and has most likely lived in previous lives, it is conceivable to me that any particular part of my soul which currently functions as an internal entity was in a previous life the dominant aspect of my personality. For example, I could have been in a past life a Sophie, or an Inu. What was once the ego part of the self could re-emerge in a later life as an unconscious or semi-conscious component of the psyche. Very intriguing!

Xarokys

I am a woman and I can recall only one dream in which I was a man. It was several years ago and details are rather fuzzy, but I was a tall dark-haired man and I was searching for a woman in some sort of wooded area. Eventually I found her behind a bush. She had dark curly hair and I remember thinking about how much I loved her. We hugged each other and fell down to the ground and I'm not telling what happened next. })

Free Flight

Hi David,

It is all very intriguing!
I am an avid believer in the continuance of the soul and in reincarnation. However there is a reason why (although I dont know exactly why - just have my theories) we do not remember our past lives. Perhaps there was a little bit that leaked into my subconscious brain..Perhaps not. I just know I have never heard that statement.
Either way it was a strange dream and I thank-you for your eloquent reply

x FF

Shadesofire

I've had dreams where I'm a man with the male parts. They mostly started about five years ago? When I was in the middle of a spiritual awakening that lasted for a few months. More like a spiritual madness.

I've had all sorts of different ones from having an extra large/long clitoris to being a man with a penis and masturbating it ... omg can I say this here?????

My most favorite one I've ever had, I was dreaming I was David Duchovni, Mulder from X-Files and I was naked. I started running through these mall-like halls swinging free and really happy and shouting "Weeee!" hehehehehe

I'm female but comfortably androgynous. I feel at equalibrium with masculine/femunine. I can have bisexual fantasies and some women, especially a tomboy sort are very attractive but I have a preference for androgynous men like my hubby to whom I'm faithful. I have no desire to become a man but I have been curious as to what it's like for a man and I have long tried through my dreams to balance masculine and femunine sexuality and I suppose that's where the dreams mostly came from :p

I can dream I'm all sorts of the archtypes but I haven't yet been an actual animal, just feral. Gender really isn't much on my awareness in most dreams until I do something like notice I'm naked. The last dream I noticed I was bare chested had Lou from Young Riders series in it and she gave me a shirt.

The only past life I think is a memory of is I may have been a Mongol perhaps in Ghengis Khan's era along the ancient trade routes across the east from China all the way to Europe. I have an ancient, childhood like sense of alignment with that into the nomads. I remember when I was still in diapers I believed I had a destiney and I was born promising myself I wasn't going to forget something (past life) which I dunno if I have or not ... I could have been any gender but if it were so, I believe I had been a warrior with a rather custom sword and increadably arrogant or powerfully willed. I'm fairly sure a woman struggeling in a mans place as a soldier.

I've had some inexplainable dreams though, many times, of being an ancient dynasty Japanese soldier, a warlord of my enemies, sometimes he's an emperor, has taken pity on me from the battle field while I'm trying to hide because I'm wounded - and I come into serving his court. I am a prisoner of war but I am greatful to be serving an honorable master who treats me as a very special advisor, like a friend. In these dreams I am a Japanese or Chinese man around my 20's into my late 50's as I serve my master the rest of my life since the battle field we shared.

Sophie-David

Hi Shadesofire

Welcome to the forums! I see you are fan of Farscape - I've watched it a few times but didn't really get into it. Do you also watch Andromeda? Its actually the only TV I watch - I like its strong archetypal content - but the last episode ran just yesterday. :(

We seem to have a lot in common in our dream lives, especially in the contact with multiple archetypes. My dreams however are rarely explicity sexual when in the feminine mode - although I dream while having a woman's body, it is more perceived as a shift into female consciousness. Does your consciousness also seem to shift, do you seem to be thinking like a man when having dreams in the other gender?

I also see that we both have an interest in a Tarot of the Hindu divinities. I had a meditation in which one of my internal entities or guides, an East Indian woman living in London, had a beautiful Tarot deck with the deities on the Majors and scenes of Indian life on the Minors. I have yet to find this deck in this reality, but I posted a thread on my search here. There is also a general thread on Tarot in India.

You may wish to drop by at my website - there is a little link to it in the bottom frame of this message - for a further details of my experience with the internal feminine.

Cheers
David