The Tarot Organizer

Umbrae

A Review

The Tarot Organizer software.

Let us first begin by examining the comments from page one of the instruction manual:
Tarot Garden said:
The Tarot Organizer was originally design for my own personal use, without intent to create a distributable program. But because of many requests to modify it and make it available in CD form, I have added several features, re-designed the interface, and otherwise tried to make the program as user-friendly as possible.

Therefore, I have now made this program available on a limited-distribution basis trough sales via the tarot Garden website (http://www.tarotgarden.com).

Along with basic information fields, there are sections to import pix, value tracking and trading, and what I consider huge bonuses – a “Readings Diary” and “Study log” sections.

On all screens there is a green ‘foliage’ left hand boarder. Fields are peach, field titles are rose – these are what could be referred to as ‘Tarot Garden Colours”, as they mimic the appearance of the website.

The green Ladybug on the top right of each screen provides a help overview of each screen, clicking again hides the help fields.

The program includes drop down menus of publishers and references.

The search functions are complete and comprehensive. Lets say you did a reading for Linda last year. You know you took notes, but don’t remember which deck you used. You could find it through the search feature.

As it says in the instruction booklet:
Tarot Garden said:
”A Database for People with Too Many Tarot Decks”

If you have too many – chances are you need this software.

And yeah – it’s pretty cute for a database – thank goddess…

FaireMaiden

Wow!!!

When I became a member of AT, in December 2006, I only had a few decks... 11, I believe... A few I bought myself, the others given to me... Alas, I only read with the 'Universal Waite', so, no problem...

But, since coming to AT, guess what?... I started collecting decks... big surprise, eh? *lol*... And so, one day, found myself pondering my wee collection and thought that I really did need to start some kind of system of written organization... But where to begin?... I had no idea, so just didn't do anything... (I had, however, enough presence of mind to keep all my receipts filed in my filing cabinet)...

Then, one day, just a couple of months ago, I'm over at 'Tarot Garden' browsing, och! *lol*, and went into the 'Bonus Points' section to see what Points I've accumulated... In that section there was a listing of some items for sale... One of those items was the 'Tarot Organizer'... I thought, 'hmmm, what's this?', clicked on it and, voila!, the answer to my tarot organizing dilemma magically appeared!

I cannot say enough good things about this program, *vvvbs*... Umbrae has explained the intricacies quite well, so I'll just add my 'oooh's and aaah's', *lol*

In short, it's a database that's all set-up for you... NO muss, NO fuss, *vbs*... And it's easy, easy, easy to use... I'm a bonehead when it comes to computers, so really appreciated the 'use-it-right-out-of-the-box' capability... And the fact that you can keep your actual 'readings' in the database, as well, is just icing on the cake!

I started listing my decks right away, (I have 65 now), and have about 1/2 of them done... I dropped Jeannette a line to tell her how the program was faring for me, (beautifully!), and to THANK HER! for developing such a wondrous tool, as well as my regret at not having found it a year sooner! *lol*

For anyone who is starting to collect, like me, the 'Tarot Organizer' is a god-send!... And the sooner you start organizing your collection, the better-off, and less stressed, you will be...

In my opinion, (and you'll just have to take this on faith), Jeannette's 'Tarot Organizer' ROCKS!!! *vvvbs*

Jeannette

FaireMaiden,

Thanks for your kind comments about the software (and to the earlier kind comments as well). I need to post a caveat, however. The program was developed in 2001, and hasn't been upgraded since. As time progresses, it becomes less and less likely that it will function with newer versions of the various computer operating systems. I already know that it can no longer be used on any Macintosh computer that has upgraded to OS 10.5. As pleased as I am that folks are acquiring the program and finding it useful, I do need to say that I can't promise that the program will function on any given computer configuration. Of course, when we've had reports that the software didn't work, we've refunded the customer's payment after doing our best to eliminate other possible causes of the problem (corrupt installation disk, for example).

At this point, the time and cost involved in upgrading the software to be more forwardly-compatible is more than the resources I have for the project at the moment. I have made some baby steps toward incorporating the general capabilities of the Tarot Organizer software into our online account system, but it's only a small beginning, and the online system admittedly does not offer anywhere near the features of the existing software. But it's a start.

Hugs to All,
-- Jeannette
The Tarot Garden

FaireMaiden

Hi, Jeannette, *vbs*

Yes... I should have added the specifics of the computer I have that your software seems to work just fine on...

It's a Hewlitt-Packard Pavilion AMD Athlon 64 x 2 Dual Core Processor with Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2...

I don't know if any of that helps...