"The Twelth Card"

Ankou

Just saw an add for a fiction novel called
"The Twelth Card" by Jeffery Deaver.

It has a picture of le Pendu on the cover. Since its fiction it might not have got alot of tarot "kids" pulled in, but I was wondering if anyones read it and how deaply it relates to it's tarot title?

Love and Light,

Ankou

Shade

Another mystery novel released the same day "Dance of Death" has the death card on the cover.

Ankou

hmmm...

The capitalists are after the tarot craze!!!!

Run Run, before they find you!!!! ahhhhhh...

Sorry, had to get that out...

Have you read them?

Love and Light,

Ankou

mythos

One very big [size=+2]GRRRRRRRRRRR![/size]

We have the 'illusionist' as the 'tarot expert' ... talks about tarot with distaste. We have the 'Egyptian History', and 52 rather than 56 for minor cards. Meaning for the card wasn't toooooo bad.

Wrote Mr Deaver a scathing letter ... none of my 'nice' Libra rising showing.

mythos is grumpy!

tmgrl2

mythos...I agree!! I took my anger a step further and composed an e-mail and sent it to Jeffery Deaver, through his website.

I am going to try to cut and paste the text of what I sent. Here it is below as I sent it:

Dear Mr. Deaver...

As an avid reader and fan of yours for many years, I have always relished the intricacy of your

stories and enjoyed the many characters you have created, especially those in the Lincoln Rhyme

series.

Of special interest to me are the extensive details you weave together to create a trail for

Lincoln and Amelia as they "walk the grid" toward a solution.

However....

In the Twelfth Card, (and I have only read up to the part where you have Kara, the "expert,"

explain the Tarot) the information...

rather...the

misinformation you have presented as an opening summary of what Tarot is, is blatantly in error.

To those who have a passion for the study of the history and iconology of Tarot, this

"introduction" to the Tarot rests on the multiple myths that have traveled through the ages and,

apparently, still survive, despite the large base of historical data now available.

The Tarot is an avocation of mine. I both read with the Tarot and study its orgins.

On page nineteen of The Twelfth Card, wherein Kara "explains" the Tarot, the overall tone used to

describe the Tarot, is not a complimentary one.

The Tarot did NOT originate in Egypt.

It was NOT a method of divining until the nineteenth century, although there are some early

references that suggest its use as a divinatory tool in the eighteenth century. Certainly the

use of the words "fortune telling" in connection with the Tarot, has fallen into disfavor,

especially among those who value the broader, richer tradition of this marvelous spiritual/art

form.

The Tarot cards were orginally used to play a game of "Trumps." It was simply a game of cards.

In a "standard" Tarot Deck, of which there are now thousands (cf. The Encyclopedia of Tarot

Volumes I, II, III and IV, by Stuart R. Kaplan, U.S. Games Systems, Inc) there are 56 minor

aracana, not 52. They do NOT correspond to the fifty-two-card playing deck. The "court" cards

have a history of their own in Tarot, with some similarities to the court cards in a deck of

cards today.

The major arcana, or atouts , or Trumps, do have 22 cards, but not necessarily ordered as 0

through 21. There is much in Tarot's history to support that the card with no number (the Fool,

0) may be the 22nd card, and not the beginning of a journey, as has evolved in more recent times

in part from the Golden Dawn movement.

This latter movement, based on a famous English occult society of the same name (late 1800's),

led to the development of one of the most popular decks, the Rider-Waite-Smith (RWS) and clones

of this deck, the Rider-Waite-Smith. (drawn by Pamela Colman Smith, with meanings attributed by

Edward Arthur Waite and publishing by Rider).

The meanings of the cards have evolved over the years from many traditions, hence the meanings

attributed to the four suits vary although there are some larger consistencies across traditions.

So....the Twelfth Card, which usually is the Hanged Man in most traditions,
has mutlple meanings. The one which you have quoted, while it has a kernel of what many may

consider to be a core meaning, seems to be a summary dragged from authors who rely on a body of

"keyword" meanings for the Tarot.

We do not speak of "destructive" cards in Tarot. There is no such thing. Even the Devil and the

card with no name (Death) are not "destructive" cards. Each card calls forth a challenge to the

person to face certain stages of a path in life, either on a shorter day-to-day journey (minor

arcana) or on a larger scale, perhaps similar to archetypes represented throughout the Tarot in

the richness of its inconology.

While my own library has grown to close to 60 volumes on the subject of The Tarot, I refer you to

four additional resources that I feel are the most current and most in-depth examinination of the

Tarot and its origins.

There are also wonderful discussions in each of these books of "myths" surrounding the Tarot,

some of which you, or your researchers seem to have latched onto for purposes of setting an

underpinning to the motives of the person who attempted to attack Geneva.

These books are:

A History of the Occult Tarot (1870-1970) Ronald Decker and Michael Dummett (2002)

A Wicked Pack of Cards: The Origins of the Occult Tarot (1996)

Tarot Symbolism, R.V. O'Neill (recently republished - 2004-through the Association for Tarot

Studies, Melbourne, Australia)

The Tarot: History, Symbolism and Divination, Robert M. Place (2005)

I thank you for taking the time to read this e-mail...and most of all, I look forward to more of

your works, since your works are on the short list of my all-time favorite works of fiction.