Meditation Problems

Lady Tararith

I've been trying to meditate now for the past few months as I want to try and communicate with my spirit guide as I have been sensing him fairly often around me.

The problem is, I find it extremely hard to completely relax myself as I easily get aggitated and fidget. I have brought books on communicating with guides and angels and read numerous websites on meditation. Yet nothing seems to work.

Over the past months I have noticed that my psychic ability is building as I have thought of things before they have happened and I sense my guide 'Michael' (this is what I believe his name is, or what he likes to be known as) around me reguarly. Lately I have also found it so much easier to do a Tarot reading. I can sometimes see images when I close my eyes when I'm ready to go to sleep. But for me meditation is so hard.

Have any of you got any ideas on how to make it easier for myself or maybe try to communicate with my guide using an easier method?

Lady Tararith xxx

WhiteRaven

Have you tried drumming? Or even better, listening to a drumming CD while trying to meditate....One good one that comes to mind is called "Sacred Drumming" by Steve Ash. I put the headphones on and get lost in the drumming and it works great for journeying and trancework.

zorya

if you have trouble being still, tai chi might be for you. it is often called 'moving meditation'.

i used to have a heck of time meditating. i could not for the life of me figure out how to 'empty' my mind. trying the breathing techniques made me feel like i was either suffocating or hyperventilating.

then i went to india and stumbled into an ashram (the ramashram). they taught me to get into whatever position was comfortable for me, and imagine a small light in front of me. then i was to imagine it slowly getting larger and brighter until it was not only all around me but inside of me as well. i can't explain how it felt the first time i tried this, but it was amazing! this is how i have meditated since.

to specifically connect with my guide(s), i either rattle and dance, and/or ground and connect with the four directions, the sky and earth. i ask for their assistance and just open myself to any kind of messages.

BodhiSeed

Lady V,
There are many ways to meditate besides sitting still and focusing on the breath. Here are a few:

1. Listening (Sound) meditation - find a cd (as WhiteRaven suggested) that has drumming, chanting, singing bowls, or nature sounds (such as ocean waves). Your focus will be on the changing sounds.

2. Drawing meditation - this can be done inside or outside; find an object and focus on it as you draw it. You might just draw it's shape or use colored pencils to catch the shades of color. Don't worry about what it looks like; the importance here is just paying attention.

3. Walking meditation - play some very slow, relaxing music. Barefoot, begin to walk as slowly as you possibly can, paying complete attention to the feel of the floor, the muscles you are using, the balance you need, and the different parts of the foot you use to push off from the floor.

4. Gazing meditation - you can use a statue, a candle, or just about anything, but my favorite is a mandala (the internet should have plenty to choose from). Let your eyes focus softly on what you choose, just paying attention to shape, form, texture, color, etc.

5. Sacred passage meditation - choose a sacred passage or prayer from whatever faith or path you're comfortable with and memorize it. Closing your eyes, repeat it mentally very SLOWLY, almost as if you were dictating to a child. If you're mind wanders far away, just begin the passage over again.

6. Open heart meditation - Think of a memory that really touched your heart; it might be a mountain top view, the birth of a child or a walk on a beach. Close your eyes and remember every detail of this memory, using all your senses. As the memory creates a feeling of a full, open heart, drop the mental picture and focus on the feeling for as long as it lasts.

7. Yoga - the perfect meditation in motion! I prefer the Hatha yoga, as it is gentle. Just do the poses or movements you can do comfortably. As with the walking meditation, just focus on the feelings in your body, your breath and the amazing way your body works.

These are just a few different ways to meditate. It is so important to be gentle with yourself, almost as if you were training a puppy (as our minds tend to be as active as one!) For me, meditation is about training our minds to stay in the present moment, without attachment or judgement -- quite a task, but totally worth the effort!
Hope this helps some!

Many Blessings,
Bodhran

raeanne

Hi Lady Tararith,
You can go to www.brainsync.com and try out their 7 minute brain vacation. If you like this, they have several really good CDs. These CDs have been used in hospitals and there is a lot of research that backs up the success of them. I used to have a lot of trouble with meditation. I would itch and twitch and squirm all the time. The first time I used one of Kelly Howell’s CDs I felt like I was nailed to the floor (not in a bad way but in total relaxation)! You need to use headphones with these CDs in order for them to work. I like the fact that there is a free trial on their web site so you can see if this works for you before you buy anything. I have several of these CDs and really enjoy them. As a matter of fact, I had to have a root canal at the denitst today and I used the CD Total Relaxation during the procedure. It really helped!

shandar

Breathing

First, you have grown up in a very noisy culture! Don't be hard on yourself! Don't think about time, think about your breathing.

Sure you should be able to go to a quiet place for 15-45 minutes, but if you can't now, so be it.

Buddhists do this.

1. Sit in a comfortable place. This can be on pillows in your favourite chair, wherever, but never in bed. Bed is for sleeping. The most stable position is with legs crossed under you, but you can sit anyway you like and use an ottoman if you wish to put your feet up.

2. Close your eyes and begin to concentrate on your breathing. This is all you should do now. I think part of your problem is that you are thinking about your spirit guide and you aren't able to get to your meditative state. That is the state your guide will come to you.

Breathe in slowly, don't worry about the depth of your breaths, that will come as you gain experience. Breathe out slowly and repeat the process, just concentrating on your breath. Man, I'm getting relaxed just writing this.

3. If you aren't able to do this easily count your breaths. Count your breaths up to 10. Don't count any less than 5 or any more than 10 breaths. If you count more than 10 you just start to count and forget to meditate.

4. If you find that counting doesn't help you, then as you are breathing, with your eyes closed, think, "in" as you breathe in, and "out" as you breathe out.
This works for me.

Good luck.

Shandar

HOLMES

ah

here is a thread i started on channeling your spirit guide.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=39475&highlight=channelling

besides that, i feel that you are trying to hard, as one doesnt' have to move mountains to reach our angels, spirit guides and the source.
we just simply have to open our minds and let go of angry thoughts, judgement thoughts, and become one with our inner self who is full of loving thoughts and peaceful messages.

for spirit guides and angels are all one with us, there is no seperation..
the creator is within you, without you and in everything.
the creator is the spirit guide, it is the angel,, it is you,
be one with the light.
there is peace in the light,, so one must be at peace..
when the mind works to stop us we must retrain it
PEACE BE STILL
KNOW THAT I AM CREATOR
for you are.. we are all.

Sophie

I used to be useless at silent meditation ...

..Miss Fidget, that was me. I took to writing or walking meditation as a result.

But recently - about 2 months ago - a healer taught me the alpha-theta method. It allows me to go "under" in a couple of minutes, until it is my theta brain operating. It's quite remarkable, and allows me to do visualitions, meditations, etc. I am using it more and more - and practice makes perfect :). If you want an exact description I can give it to you.

Nina*

Dear Sophie

I would really love that description but would you mind PM it to me (probably won't be online for a few days now and then I might miss it)...

xxx
Nina

rcb30872

Helvetica said:
..Miss Fidget, that was me. I took to writing or walking meditation as a result.

But recently - about 2 months ago - a healer taught me the alpha-theta method. It allows me to go "under" in a couple of minutes, until it is my theta brain operating. It's quite remarkable, and allows me to do visualitions, meditations, etc. I am using it more and more - and practice makes perfect :). If you want an exact description I can give it to you.
Yes please.

Bec