Meditations on the Tarot

jmd

I finally decided to write a review for this incredible book, which Solandia has posted in the review section (thank you :)).

If anyone who has this book wishes to discuss it, please let me know. I'll definitely be interested.

Kaz

this is the first thing of the wishlist i'll buy. thanks jmd, for adding this one.

kaz

catlin

Oh, jmd, what are you doing to me?! Another one on my wishlist! :rolleyes:

Kiama

Sounds like a really great book for a bit of light bedtime reading... ;) Seriously though, I think I will be asking for this one for my birthday, and reading it over my Sumemr holidays...

Thanks JMD, for making us aware of this book, and for writing an excellent review!

Kiama

starfish66

Thanks JMD!

Thank you for posting the link to the review. The book sounds very interesting and it's now on my wishlist!

(Thank you also for telling us about this book and for writing such a great review).

:TQS Starfish

Maan

Great review jmd you convinced me to buy it ;)
It seems that i will be working alot more this summer than expected ;)

aeonx

jmd: you've got skills! :* *another one on my book-wishlist* :D :p

~aeonx~

jmd

Thanks everyone. Your positive responses, as always, warms the heart :).

Jeannette

jmd:

I'm certainly open to a further discussion of this book. I've owned a copy of the "Meditations" book for some time, although I must confess to not yet having given it a thorough reading, due to lack of time (for some reason, as the number of children in this household went up, my personal reading time went down -- coincidence?)
;)

However, from what time I have been able to spend with this book, I must say I find myself in agreement with your review. It is a marvelous work, and perhaps doubly so because it ventures into territory which, while not completely absent from other works, is certainly not a well-explored theme: that is, the insight that Tarot can provide into Christian theology and mysticism, and vice-versa. While not a Christian myself, my personal theology is eclectic enough that I find it quite disturbing to see so little attention paid to what Tarot and Christianity have to offer each other.

Of course, I can't speak for other parts of the world, but the current "philosophical" climate in the U.S. at present is such that there are groups who literally view tarot as completely antithecal (sp?) to Christian precepts -- a concept that I personally see as being both inaccurate and counterproductive. But I do believe that a not-uncommon reaction to such sweeping generalizations is for students of tarot in the U.S. to reject Christianity in return. With Christians rejecting tarot, and tarotist rejecting Christianity, I suppose it should come as no surprise that there is so little literature available here that explores the harmonious ground between the two. This was my primary motivation for originally purchasing "Meditations on the Tarot," and my reason for keeping the book by my bedside, even though I've not nearly had the time I would like in order to study it...

...So, perhaps what I'm saying, in my usual long-winded fashion, is that a little nudge/encouragement from one who is well-versed in this fascinating tome, by way of discussion, would certainly not be unwelcome...
:D

-- Jeannette
http://www.tarotgarden.com