Tarot legends and Myths (A Rant)

Umbrae

:smoker: I’ve been thinking a bit about Tarot Myths lately. Tarot Legends & Myths were explored in a portion of a presentation in Melbourne, and I’ve just continued thinking about it since I got home.

Then somebody asked about used decks, and if others could influence your deck. There were responses that used the terms: myths, legends, belief…tossed about were implications about what you choose to believe.

Somebody said something about not just energy being left on cards (and I suppose the term energy may have caused some concern for a few) but mentioned Fingerprints…DNA.

And I pulled up short.

What are fingerprints? A unique pattern of ridges and valleys on our fingers – a unique chaotic image made up of oils and secretions. These oils and secretions and dead tissue flakes, are left behind on everything we touch or brush up against. It is cellular material that carries a distinct deoxyribonucleic acid marker from the originator. A specific construction of a double helix joined by hydrogen bonds between purine and pyrimidine bases which project inward from two chains containing alternate links of deoxyribose and phosphate…each with a specific marker. DNA…the DNA molecule and double helix approximates Phi (1.6180). It measures 34 angstroms long by 21 angstroms wide for each full cycle of its double helix spiral, and their ratio is, 1.619. A cross-section view from looking down at the top of the DNA double helix, describes a decagon (see the back of a Voyager Deck), so that each spiral of the double helix will trace out the shape of a pentagon (think on that one for a bit).

The universe, from the logarithmic spiral of a galaxy’s arm – to the smallest element, including DNA, is constructed using phi. It’s the stuff of life itself).

But I’m rambling.

Fingerprints are said to be unique to each of us, as is our DNA. And we leave a bit of ourselves on whatever we come in contact with. The lead pipe, the candlestick, the rope, the Tarot deck…we touch it…and leave something unique behind.

A fingerprint within a fingerprint.

So let’s take a deck. A virgin deck, never shuffled, never handled. We shuffle with it, we meditate on the cards, examine the art. We impart a piece of ourselves, a bit of biomaterial, on each card.

So do our bodies contain micro-electricity; small charges of electrical current? Could it be different for each of us? Is it in our DNA or cellular material?

I think so, yes...

But if we leave a physical, cellular piece of ourselves behind – logic tells me that a micro-electrical charge may be imparted also.

Each sitter touches our virgin deck. Some shuffle, some only cut. Some only rest their hands on it while pondering their question by candlelight.

Overtime, the deck will indeed contain a little of each reading, a little of each sitter, a little of ourselves. A little good left behind by some, evil left behind by others…. A bit here and there…

Overtime…the deck may very well contain more than the sum of the imagery.

Quantum physics tells us the universe, as we know it does not exist. But we make it so. An electron here exchanges with an electron there. A few neutrinos shoot through (Swiiiiiiiiiiiiiing)…

I’m rambling again.

So there it is – genetic material on our deck, left by every sitter…why does a well-loved deck have a special feel to it, is there a feel that goes beyond the paper or ink?

...Atomic material within the deck, left by behind by every sitter… why does a well-loved deck have a special feel to it, is there a feel that goes beyond the paper or ink?

Some of us describe relationships we have with our decks, and are reminded that we are anthropomorphizing our decks.

Hmmm…are we?

Myths, legends... Each myth, each legend had a basis for beginning. To simply say, “Ah it’s a legend, don’t believe it” is a knee-jerk reaction.

It’s a mythtake in my opinion. A blind knee-jerk in the name of rationale.

Stating something is not true because it’s a legend, or a myth, is as heinous as blindly accepting a myth or legend as fact.

In fact it may be worse.

Debunking myths blindly (“Hey I bought my first deck and it didn’t affect me!”) does few any favors; students find no wisdom in such lessons. You may very well obstruct growth by imposing your worldview upon them as opposed to allowing students to find their own view.

For instance, why SHOULD someone be given his or her first deck? Does it make a difference? Will they be a better reader? Will the deck work better?

Without exploring the root of the myth – your syllogism is fallacious. Or as we said as a kid, “Are-Oh-En-Gee – WRONG.”

I really want to see folks stop simply stating, “It’s a myth! Don’t believe it!”

I used to be one of those folks. And I now know that my prior stance was wrong. I no longer hold those beliefs.

Myths have a root.

Fables and myths are what we use to describe what we don’t comprehend. They are our attempts to make the impossible possible.

Wisdom often lies in the undertones. That’s where we find truth.

Satori

Well, I wish I had some Joseph Campbellian words of wisdom to impart.
Sadly, all I can say is that I believe that myths have a kernel of wisdom, and maybe more in them.

One thing Campbell said was to "Follow your bliss."
And he said that whatever is going on around you to participate in it, fully.

Not sure if I'm really adding anything here, but saw this and I wanted to ask if this means you now believe cards are more than paper?

Are you saying, they are energetically charged with every sitter's flakies!!!???!!!

Well, I believe so.

Umbrae, are you gonna start sleeping with your decks too?
That will really charge them up, eh? })

firemaiden

Well, Umbrae, until you explained the DNA in finger-prints thing to me, I definitely thought the whole "my deck is contaminated" thingy was silly, bogus, nutso, magickal, irrational, dumb, and childish nonsense...

But if a part of the person can contain the whole (my fingerprint contains my energy?) then it opens a hairline crack in my thinking.

I love having my mind blown.

Umbrae

I always have slept with my decks, I always believed that cards were more than paper and ink - I was however quick to tell folks that their first deck did not have to be a gift (I still believe that). However I now see that there is a multi-layered wisdom behind having your first deck an unbidden gift, and will never tell someone, "It's a myth, a legend..."

Sophie

Sure myths have a root - but that does not mean the roots are sound, or even if they are - worth exploring. I don't believe in blind debunking either, but when a beginner worriedly asks - my grandma gave me her old deck and now I hear it's wrong to own used decks...(or variants) - what do we answer?

I would rather say- it's ok, love - you can use your deck, it's perfectly fine - and have her explore tarot, rather than spend time worrying about the energies her dead gran might have left on the cards. We all leave something of ourselves behind - it's good to be reminded of that. Even a new deck is handled by human beings, after all. But let's not get waylayed by that kind of thing. Starting tarot is a journey that has no need for the semantics of its own mythology. If someone wants to find out about the origin of a tarot legend, they'll go and look for it. I am sure tarot myths can be a study in their own right! (one might even imagine a "tarot myths by country"!).

It's different when someone says a deck doesn't feel right to them, something's wrong. If a person has definite intuitive feeling about something I would encourage her to follow it.

Ilithiya

Umbrae said:
Somebody said something about not just energy being left on cards (and I suppose the term energy may have caused some concern for a few) but mentioned Fingerprints…DNA.

And I pulled up short.

I'm glad to know someone was reading my usually pointless and delusional posts. :)

That's the thing with me - I can't *not* believe a lot of things. There's always a rational enough explanation for just about everything.

And as for the micro-electrical charge? It's proven that the messages from the brain to the muscles, or from the nerves to the brain, is an electrical impulse. You can make a paralyzed limb jump by applying a minute electrical charge.

Electricity is energy.

It's also been proven that there are two types of energy - static and kinetic. Energy doesn't dissipate - it can be stored: batteries, solar panels... burning paper creates heat, which is kinetic energy.

There is no such thing as a truthless myth; and in this case, while people may relegate bioelectrical residue (aka the ubiquitous energy) to the room labeled "myth" doesn't mean it's not true. :)

Thank you, Umbrae, for your insights. :) Am I allowed to take some small amount of credit for provoking you? *laughs*

Illy

Cerulean

Hmmm...the myth of why ask why...

...if a questioner is asking for relational reassurance or feedback of a 'tarot-related myth' on a tarot board, my internal mythmaker believes there is a worrisome feeling behind it.

By the way, I'm coming from a different slant, having just returned from a reassuring chat with family on tarot related myths.

In my case, the worrisome feeling from a questioner is similar to those who 'venture' from an 'established' norm. Those who are trying something different might want to buy or use a deck creatively--but there's no one around them that does this openly. So the individual will check online and ask hopefully on a tarot board about: "Do I have to be given a deck? Are the images sacred? To whom are they sacred? Are they graven images and tools of idolotry? Are all decks magical? Are tarot decks tools of spirits who will try to possess me? Will bad things happen because the cards are tools of the possessed?"

For instance, a very nice family member asks me periodically and slightly worriedly about card decks...similar to questions from the above. Whether "they are all just mean tools of those who cast curses and try to cheat others." The kind concern is from an elder I honor and will of course answer--not one of the family members who likes artsy things, but a more practical sort within my close family circle. He sees media portrayals of tarot lumped with paranormal and not-nice things that go bump-in-the-night.

Given my art and history and other interests related to tarot--and the fact that he's known me all my life--I realize that he's puzzled at this 'anomoly'--an interest he cannot understand. He also knows I don't voluntarily have any association with mean people, so he's afraid for me. He knows my practical attitude and quiet life is far from those questions above...

And so my attitude of reassurance speaks from interaction with someone who
wants to understand from a practical viewpoint what I use tarot art for, my interaction and my beliefs around the use of such decks.

Also, given that I like used decks, used books, am a bargain hunter and have not been adversely affected by used decks, I tend to answer from a more practical view...because I've been more adversely affected by trying to clean smoky decks, straighten bent cards and the practicalities of keeping the paper and ink products in good condition...

Cerulean

Alissa

Yea... but....

The problem is some of the "myths" about Tarot are downright misinformative, and can act as a hinderance or deterent to would-be Tarot users.

If I wait for my first deck to be given to me, how long did I waste not reading cards b/c a superstition says I shouldn't go buy my own deck? And what did I accomplish, but jumping through a hoop that *I* didn't set up for myself by obeying some mystical "myth," one that was told to me as Correct and So Mote It Be... that's really better than a deck I went and bought myself and started using right away? WHY???

I say you're confusing myth-making and magick, Father of Omens. One is manufactured. The other simply is. Manufacturing stories is something I'm rather fond of, as a profession... but that doesn't excuse misinformative myths from becoming a hinderance to the Tarot-underinformed.

Say It Loud, Say it Proud. Keep the Magick. Toss out the supersition. :p Or make your own myths, and throw out the rest of the world's garbage. Make your own magick, and let Emily Post deal with the etiquette of who gives what to whom, and why.

tmgrl2

Warning! Rambling post ahead….

Beam me up Scotty!!

Comin’ through the wormhole!!

Funny, isn’t it, how children spend so much of their little lives being told…

“Don’t worry, sweetie, it was only a dream. It’s not real.”

(Yeah…right! You dream it then)

Or…”No, dear, there are no monsters…that’s only make believe.”

Then they grow up and meet real life monsters disguised as adults walking the earth, living next door, neighbors, people at work.

The kid who says “My teacher is a monster!” Sometimes they read it right from the start.

As children we are taught to “forget” what isn’t “real,” what is “fantasy.” How sad. Then we spend much of our adult life, trying to recapture and remember who we are.

The earth is flat.

Prometheus gave us fire.

The turtle is faster than the hare.

If we talk to muddy water, it’ll form pretty crystals.

Better yet, if we pray over something or someone….they/it will heal…perhaps I shouldn’t even use the pronoun “it.” If water is alive enough to change its structure in response to words and prayer, maybe water is a “them.”

Perspective. Size. Motion. Time. Space.

Jeesh…the things in my house aren’t really “solid” objects…they are just energies in motion with lots of spaces in between….so..

One day, I’m going to

Teleport.

Walk through a wall.

I believe that will happen.

Does that make me a whacko??

If people hadn’t believed in the unbelievable of their times, we wouldn’t have electricity, trips to space, flights in aircrafts, sounds from a radio, pictures on televisions and phones, machines that scan our bodies producing pictures of ….everything…what we are thinking, where we are thinking it, what’s broken, what’s healthy.

Pretty soon, nanites will be entered into our bodies, take a trip and bring back the goods.
Some of them will take up residence and perform functions for us….heal, mend, connect.

Plug it in, turn it on and the energy flows.

That big blue marble we call Earth…is just a dot among many in the galaxy,

Depends upon who’s looking.

Who is the Observer.

So….myths, legends….I’m with Umbrae on this one.

Finding truths is a challenge.

Are the energies I’m feeling from another person, something I should listen to, or are those movements, words, expressions, actions…triggering some of those old chemical peptides that have wiggled their ways into my cellular memories.

That’s the stuff I can’t sort out….but I do know that I have more power than I ever realized to create my mood, to shape my environment and alter what happens to me on a daily basis.

Ka-ching! Goes the slot machine…..Can’t say I never won anything anymore.

Something has shifted in my life in recent years.

It can be a bit scary, when the boundaries break down…when we begin to look between the leaves and the branches and see what else is there besides a tree.

Somewhere back in the 60’s when I still had hair down to my waist, wore tie-died sweatshirts and skirts, left the shoes home and participated in all kinds of free…..

Stuff…

I got hooked on The Teachings of Don Juan…Carlos Castenedas.

At the time….I thought….”This guy’s been smokin’ too much peyote…”

Don’t look for beginnings, for endings, Navigate through reality with no pretense of knowledge
( I love this last sentence)

I order books on Tarot…some new some used. …One day a used book on Tarot arrived and a few Tarot cards, trumps, fell out when I opened it….I flipped through the book while I was still standing at the post office.
Then, without any reason I can tell you, without any thought about why…

I threw it in the garbage.

Even things in my house………..furniture, pictures, objets d’art, stuffed toys, books,
things I once deemed important to have….it’s as if one day, I no longer need them.

They don’t belong in my house. I give them away if they are in good shape …

Or I toss them.

The world is a smaller place now. We have discovered Feng Shui.

Quantum physics and spirituality are meeting and shaking hands.

A thing can be in two places at one time. And what is time anyhow. If we can remember the past, why can’t we remember the future??

We can find some harmony in any discord, opportunity in the midst of difficulties.

Legends, and, more often myths, have always been used to explain that which could not yet be understood.

Myths were a way of keeping people safe…from the great possibilities of the unknown.

Of keeping children safe….”Don’t go near that lake, the monsters of the water will drag you in and keep you.”

Your first deck must be gifted. Don’t let your sitter touch your cards. Your querent must shuffle and must cut. Used decks may have negative energies.

Hey!

Hold on to your myths and beliefs and dream your possibilities. Just don’t tread on mine.

Guess I’ll have to reanimate or reincarnate, ‘cuz I want to be around to

Teleport.

Jump through the wormhole to another reality, to another dimension, to another planet.

Apollonia

Umbrae, you make me think! Ow.

So perhaps the idea of receiving your first deck as a present made sense in some past time when it would have been important to have a friend/mentor who approved of Tarot, instead of going out seeking what possibly could get you pointed out as someone who needed to be exorcised of demons?