Has anyone read Jeffery Deaver's 'The Twelth Card'

mythos

I'm not much into novel reading these days, but I noticed that my bookclub has Jeffery Deaver's The Twelth Card, and the Hanged Man is pictured on the front. Nothing in the blurb indicates tarot, but????? So if anyone has read it, I'd love to hear what you think. Does tarot actually get a mention, and if so, is it positive, negative, clueless, fascinating etc etc.? And, does he write a ripping yarn with sentences that won't have me cringing at grammatical inaccuracies? Yep ... so I'm a nit-picker! But I do like sentences that actually make sense.

mythos :smoker:

tmgrl2

I've read everything he has written. My husband got the book on tape...before I got the hard copy from the library. I do hope to get it soon.

He is an excellent author (although some reviewers feel this is not up to his best work) and this book is one of the Lincoln Rhyme books...Lincoln is a quadriplegic ex-head of NYPD Detectives....who solves mysteries from his apartment working with people in the field....Really good stuff. You might enjoy backing up and reading the others as well. Twisty-turny plots.
I will read it since I have been following them from the start.

Will see about the Twelfth Card !!

terri

mythos

Thanks Terri,

Sounds like a good ripping yarn even if it doesn't do the Hanged Man thing. I guess I'll just have to read it and find out :laugh:

mythos;)

calligirl

Just my two cents...didn't know Deaver had another one out, must try to get that one ASAP as I love his books. However, a word to the wise...he can be pretty gross. His book 'The Bone Collector' was made into a movie with Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie in it. It was intense but the book was more so. I'm not knocking his writing, love it! but just didn't want anyone to be unpleasantly surprised.

mythos

Thanks Calligirl,

I went through a Stephen King phase a couple of decades ago, and his stuff got pretty ookie at times. Mostly I stopped reading novels when I had a way-too-close-encounter with Mr Death in 2000 ... made me realise that life is a limited thing ... so now I have a list of books that I just have to read before I shuck off the old body.

I bought the book anyway .... but I have a couple of others on the burner that I want to finish first.

mythos:)

tmgrl2

I'm about half-way through, mythos. I posted in the other thread on this book that I wrote Deaver an e-mail about his mishandling of an explanation of the Tarot.

Here's the link, in case anyone didn't catch that thread as well:

http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=43388

I know you were disappointed as well, mythos.

If I get a response from JD, will post it in this thread which combines both threads started.

terri

euripides

mythos said:
...when I had a way-too-close-encounter with Mr Death in 2000 ... made me realise that life is a limited thing ... so now I have a list of books that I just have to read before I shuck off the old body.

Mythos.. I know its a little off-topic, but I'd love to know what those books are. I'm guessing a fellow tarot enthusiast's list might interest me!

I'm trying to refocus my life, too.

thanks
Euri

catlin

I also love the Lincoln Rhyme books a lot but I think I will skip "The 12th card" as I HATE books with misinformation about Tarot.

mythos

euripides said:
Mythos.. I know its a little off-topic, but I'd love to know what those books are. I'm guessing a fellow tarot enthusiast's list might interest me!

I'm trying to refocus my life, too.

thanks
Euri

Gosh, where to start. I went back to my old philosphy texts from University and began working my way through various philosophers from past to present. I've read most of Jung, more Joseph Campbell. I was already interested in history, but have focussed more on European History in the centuries before and leading up to and including the Renaissance. I have a passion for the philosophy of science, so I've delved there. And of course, tarot classic texts.

I figure that to know who we are, we need to understand our past - how we got to the now. In a sense, I've narrowed myself down to the Western Mystery tradition (which is not exactly narow:!:) ... because although I didn't receive a Judeo-Christian-Islamic upbringing, tarot and art from the European-Middle Eastern are my primary interests.

My apologies for taking so long to answer - I haven't been on line much. My dog died, and I have been finishing writing a journal article.

catlin

Just bumping up this thread to let you know that "The thwelfth card" is now available in Germany (no, the book is still at the book seller and not in catlin's book case!!).

I browsed it at the book shop but could not make my mind up about it.