Looking for a book on the Visconti Sforza

jackdaw*

I've been looking for a book about the Visconti Tarot cards. There are three that I know of, one of which is readily available:

- the companion book by Giordano Berti that came in the Visconti Gold book and deck set. It's also available as a separate book from Llywellyn (as I bought the deck by itself, silly me)
- The Visconti Sforza Tarot Cards by Michael Dummett (oop)
- the Gertrude Moakley book, which of course is nearly impossible to find

Any ideas for other ones available? And any feedback from anyone who has read these?

QofP

jmd

Of the three, I personally think the Dummett book is the best - despite this being an early one of his, and written with aspects I consider are quite bias.

As these three are also the only three I have that have been published, I do not know what else to recommend. There is also a PhD thesis on the topic, and another one in progress... but neither has been published.

Fulgour

jmd said:
As these three are also the only three I have that have
been published, I do not know what else to recommend.
Be of good cheer, my friend ~ we've yet to hear
from the inestimable Cerulean ~ which I await...

Cerulean

Hello...long and opinionated view...

...my curiousity is what would you enjoy?

1. In English, the foreword of Michael Dummett's text for the Visconti Sforza is very very good, the card descriptions themselves a bit on the dry, quiet side. He is a conservative British scholar who enjoys playing cards for their design. No divination involved. Playing card scholars may be less poetic then those below.

2. In English, if you have Encyclopedia of the Tarot, Volume II, Stuart Kaplan's synopsis of the Visconti-Sforzas and the cards are a good start. You have a great summary of what was known up to the point of 1986-1994. There may be some nits and picks, but Kaplan had good translators and a way of summarizing and paraphrasing in an understandable way. He is a good publisher for the American audience of this period.

Since Kaplan assisted in the joint publication of the Cary-Yale and Visconti-Sforza decks with commentary in English, there are cross-references in various Italian and other histories that will cite Gertrude Moakley, Michael Dummett and also Kaplan's description of the cards in a 'divinatory' way.

3. Kaplan's little white book with the first editions of the Visconti-Sforza cards would give you the printing quality of the cards that are similar to the Dal Negro and Il Meneghello printings of the deck and a tasteful English summary that touches on history and 'standard' meanings. I mean standardized meanings that come with the Dal Negro edition of the deck, in Italian--there's even a cross-reference to Kaplan's meanings of the cards for divination. I found two editions of the out-of-print U.S. Games Visconti through abebooks.com lists at near half the price of the newer U.S. Games deck at a more expensive price.

4. I use Giordano Berti's translated and Italian texts whenever I can. He is usually paired with another author who gives playful or interesting minors descriptions or ways of readings. But the divinatory meanings of the majors and minors run from varied sources--you'll get the poetic charm, but will it make sense?

But he assumes you will also go to others for more in-depth and straight history. There's less than 8-10 pages in this book for the brief history. A synopsis, more likely.

Please note, the assumption for this book is that people want to read
not in a standard Rider-Waite-Smith way, nor in a Marseilles way. The meanings and the poetic descriptions resonate with me because...oh dear--I'm not being mean, but I seem to find Italian description resonates with someone who likes Dante, Petrach and Boccaccio rather than Chaucer, Shakespeare and Spenser...

Just my biases! Hope this wordy birdy helped a little...

Cerulean

Cerulean

P.S. No Gertrude Moakley note...

...at some point, I may buy this book. But I have at least three other books on the Viscontis and more on Italian court families and Renaissance art...so I'm less likely to get the older tarot summaries at the moment...

Regards,

Cerulean

jackdaw*

Thanks, everyone! I had been leaning toward the Dummett book but considering the Berti book primarily because it's readily available at Chapters.ca. So thank you for your feedback.

One of the eBay stores offers Dummett's book. So off I go on another eBay foray ... :)

QofP

jackdaw*

Well, I did it! My Dummett book on the Visconti-Sforza arrived today. I have only thumbed through it so far, but it looks really interesting and I love the photo reproductions! If this book goes well, I'll have to look into "A Wicked Pack of Cards".

QueenofPentacles