Poor Ouija Board

westsidegirlygirl

I have just aquired a "new" Ouija Board. It was ostracized and harassed and run over, but I have it now.

My neighbor knocked on my door yesterday and told me there was a Ouija Board in the backyard, and to come throw it away for her because she was afraid to touch it. I went to "throw it away" inside the house, but another neighbor saw it in my hands as I was opening my door, intercepted me, and offered to throw it away in the alley for me.

I let him, because it seemed very important to him that he see its way into the garbage can. As it turned out, the garbage truck never came and later on it had fallen over (with a bunch of other trash), had been run over by a bicycle tire, and was lying out in the open face up in the alley. I took it in, under cover of night!

It cleaned up just fine, like new.

This experience has sparked a lot of thought for me. There is so much fear around these boards. I was taught to fear them too (my mother is a reluctant medium in severe church inspired denial).

What do others think about Ouija boards? Why are they so powerful in people's minds that everyone on my block is terror stricken by the very presence of one?

stonepsycho

Hollywood i assume makes them out to be portals to devils and evil ¬_¬

Little Baron

It's an interesting question that I am affraid I do not know the answer to. For whatever reason, they send similar feelings through me and I do not know why.

Everyone has a story about a board - either their mother used one when she was young and was so terrified she would never touch one again; a friend made one and the glass through itself from the table and through the window. So-and-so used one and he has never been 'the same' since. And so on.

I saw some recently at a museum. They are quite beautiful in their own way but I am not sure whether I would want one in my home. I know that it would probably bring no harm but I think the old stories have certainly done their job on me and many others. I suppose it is almost the same as those that see the tarot as evil and not just a pack of card and ink.

As I said, I am ignorant about all of this but interested in others responses. Were you planning on using the board or would you just give it a home and use it decoratively?

LB

Chronata

ooh! Congratulations on recovering your board!

I think oijia boards are very very cool...
I use my vintage one as a tea tray!

I have had otherwise sane people shy away from them as well...refusing to touch it, with the fear that it will suck their soul or something.

Course...I have had similar reactions to my tarot cards!

I too think that there is just some bad PR about them in general...and yes, i've got those stories as well...when as a gullible child, and later as a teen, I played with them along with some overly high strung and troubled and dramatic friends.

Maybe we contacted dead people...maybe we let negative energies and spirits in our homes...maybe we witnessed possession, and ghostly images...

or maybe, looking back on it...we were just all very susceptable to our own fears and projections.

I find it likely, that we saw and felt exactly what we expected to...exactly what all the movies, and urban legends told us would happen.

It's really just a bit of wood (or cardboard)...which in itself isn't dangerous enough to give anything but a paper cut.

I love that there is a company out there that turned the whole oijia/talking board concept around, and made one in all white, pinks and purples that is supposed to connect you with angels and ascended masters.
Same concept...really. With all the same letters, numbers...etc.
Too funny! I bet no one is afraid to touch that one!

I say enjoy your treasure! And it is a treasure! One old board I have is worth about $100 on E-bay!

Little Baron

Chronata said:
I think oijia boards are very very cool...
I use my vintage one as a tea tray!

I like that Chronata! How could anyone be scared of a tea tray!

I think that a lot of it has to do with where they have come from and what happened to them before. If you inherrited a board that had been salvaged from a burned-down house where the entire family had been killed, you may be less likely to want to bring it into your house than a frilly pink one that once belonged to Dame Barbara Cartland (to my knowledge, she never used boards - just an example of the 'pink and fluffy').

I never actually knew what I manufactued board looked like until recently and was quite surprised by how unthreatening and mass-produced they look. Probably the same for someone who has never handled a deck of tarot cards. Many people have a lot of things in their houses which can create more harm if not handled properly, which in my mind, is the real problem. People display swords and guns that have probably killed before and could possibly do so again at the hand of someone not skilled or mature.

But a tea tray! :)

LB

Netzach

I think the most important thing when you are trying to "get in touch" with unseen entities - whether via a ouija board or in some other way - is to make sure that you have protected yourself. There ARE nasty energies out there and it makes sense to ensure that they can't get at you. Start your session by lighting candles, visualise yourself and anyone else present - and the board itself - cocooned in white light and dedicate the session to the highest good of all concerned. Then you are likely to get good advice and help from gentle energies, angels, guides or whatever you like to call them.

Flavio

Netzach said:
Then you are likely to get good advice and help from gentle energies, angels, guides or whatever you like to call them.
I had no idea such entities could be contacted through Ouija boards! my father had one (it never worked with him) and when he died I wanted to keep the board because it was made in the 60's was beautiful and had a very good quality, my mother refused to pass the board to me, because she never liked it so I had to teach her how to dispose of it "the safe way" well the Ouija board is gone :( I hope someone rescued it from the trash just like westsidegirlygirl did.

westsidegirlygirl

Actually, this is a glow in the dark board, sadly not vintage. The most logical explanation for it being there was that someone came in overnight and made themselves comfortable in the backyard - although the table it was on doesn't have any seating and is against a wall...

I thought of maybe using it, but mostly for now I am enjoying witnessing all of the emotions it is triggering in me - I didn't sleep well last night, for example. The whole business about opening a portal for nasty and dangerous spirits to enter your life is something I was taught as a child which still resonates. I've been thinking about all of the ways in which we are discouraged from directly accessing anything beyond this physical plane - looking at it as a mass brainwashing, and wondering how much I have been brainwashed. The nastiest of all nasty spirits, the Devil, was invented to make people feel terror with respect to their old religion (that's what I believe, anyway, no offense to others who don't see it this way). All of the fear and hysteria around Ouija boards is probably the power it holds. What is the Ouija board being used to make us feel terror with respect to now?

I just keep going back and looking at it, wondering these things.

westside

psychicbody

I say use it. There clearly was a lot of trouble invalved, for it to make it to you, so someone or something has an important message for you that needs to be heard. If you cant find a partner, another thing you can do is have a mini-seance: use your Tarot cards to ask your questions about it, while laying them across the board.
I am collegues with a few mediums, I could bother them to see if they would like to help you, although you might have to pay for their time.