Incense

Kyrielle

Where does incense fit into your spirituality?

I recently moved into my own space, so I can have incense without having to worry about the reactions of others. I want to try adding incense to my spiritual practices - meditation, space clearing, ritual item clearing, rituals for sabbats, esbats, and general purposes, and just to make the air smell good.

I want to know if anyone has any thoughts on sticks vs. cones. I don't think I'm up to making my own - yet - or using the kind you burn on a charcoal block - I've heard some horror stories. What brand or scent do you prefer and why? Do you have a "signature scent" or do you use different scents according to purpose?

Any other advice?

Thanks --

Kyrielle

Sulis

I love incense. I burn it everyday just to make the house smell nice.

For magical work and meditation I tend to use the stuff you burn on Charcoal blocks, my favorite brand is mermade magical arts - http://mermadearts.com/ they do handmade blends and they are gorgeous.

For burning during the day I use Nag Champa incense sticks - they're gorgeous too but not so expensive as the hand blended stuff.

Another good place to get hand blended incense from is Starchild http://starchild-international.com/index.php

Love

Sulis xx

huredriel

Hi Kyrielle,

I too love the smell of incense, although I just use it because I like it :)

I've only used the sticks so far, as I'm not sure how you actually burn the other stuff :confused:, guess I should learn eh ;)

Sulis, thanks for the link, the Mermadearts site isn't running at the moment, but I've emailed asking to go on their mailing list.

As far as spirituality etc goes, the only one I've really looked into is frankincense, which I believe is good for helping to clear one's aura.

Blessings
x Huredriel

zorya

shoyeido is my favorite brand. most stick incense is made by a stick that is dipped into the incense. shoyeido is one of those not made that way. it is hard formed into its shape. not having a stick, in the center, allows it to burn clean.

the downside, is that it is costly, so if you ever see it on sale, get it!

my current favorite scent is 'gozan'. it contains sandalwood, patchoulli, clove and other spices.

i do love the smell of nag champa. it is a very familiar, comforting smell for me... but then i grew up in the 60's. :D

Sulis

huredriel said:
Sulis, thanks for the link, the Mermadearts site isn't running at the moment, but I've emailed asking to go on their mailing list.

Hi Huredriel,

I've just noticed that you're in the UK. YOu can get mermadearts incense from New Moon Occult Shop - here's a link to the page: http://www.newmoonoccultshop.com/ritual/powder.htm
My favorites are 7th Viel - a mixture of nag champa, sandalwood, jasmine and myrrh and Full Moon - a mixture of jasmine, orris, sandalwood, gardenia, myrrh, silver leaf and camphor.

The incense from Mermade arts comes in a glass vial, a little like a test-tube. A cork with a hand-made stamp on it seals every vial - it really is lovely and makes a great gift. My husband bought me some around 5 years ago and I'm only just ready for some more. I'd recommend it, it's the best incense I have.

Love
Sulis xx

huredriel

Thanks Sulis, the site looks great. Have added to my fav's, and hopefully order some soon :)

x Huredriel

jumptothemoonyea

I see incense as a drug. Consciousness altering influence. It is pleasant often, and like drums can invoke a trance like state, but how much in control we are? What's behind the euphoria?

huredriel

jumptothemoonyea said:
I see incense as a drug. Consciousness altering influence. It is pleasant often, and like drums can invoke a trance like state, but how much in control we are? What's behind the euphoria?
OK now you got me worried ....... esp since I'm very anti that subject

jumptothemoonyea

Hey huredriel, I did not mean to })

What I mean is not to use it on regular basis, only sparingly - clearing negative energies, occasionally let go of control, and just follow wherever it takes you. They are quite exotic, some of them, could take you far :p

I personally allergic to any strong smells - they are too domineering, suffocating. I have bags of incenses - can't make myself use them - get headache. :( :D

huredriel

Whew .... big sighs of relief over here :D