Best time to Meditate

gareth.

Of course..

Before I read the rest of your message I realised you had identified your Island of Tranquility.All Beginners must use props or prepare a state of Rest. It helps but I assure you that I have used a Mantra in the most stressful of situations. You acquire the tools as in any Life Skill. Start simply. Sit in your Garden as I now sit in mine and make up a Mantra as others have referred to. Watch a particular branch of a the Tree and dwell on what buds may grow from it and what bird may someday settle. Most important think of your lifespan and the tree"s and decide what may be important in each of your lives. Then when you have in your conscious life come to terms start your meditation and enjoy the peace.

Little Baron

Thanks Gareth. That was beautifully put. I like the way that appreciating what is going on around me would be a way to begin the exercise. It is very unpressurising. I will let you know how it works and record my experience here.

LB

Moonbow

For me the best time is in the morning. If it's a work day then I do it shortly after waking (and having a cuppa). If there is no work, I like to start my day slower and usually go to the conservatory or garden and meditate.

I prefer Reiki meditation to any other that I've tried, but it can vary, sometimes there is too much noise, even if it IS the birds singing or my son playing his guitar... it's better then to be aware of these things while meditating.

When totally alone I'm able to do the concentrate method but I don't like to concentrate on my breathing, usually it's a colour or a scene (I have a safe place where I go).

I'm trying Tarot meditation more at the moment but only have time for that in the evenings and lately I've been too tired by the time I get around to it.

I think you will find the right one, the one that suits you and your lifestyle best, it's always worth trying different methods too. Many people say they can't meditate because they cannot switch off thoughts. But you must remember that meditation is the doing of it and not necessarily the succeeding. Some days go better than others...... definately something that is worth doing every day though.

gareth.

I wish you success...

and goodnight and of course the contentment with ourselves we all seek. I hope to learn from you and so let me know about that garden by the road.

Little Baron

Moonbow* said:
But you must remember that meditation is the doing of it and not necessarily the succeeding. Some days go better than others...... definately something that is worth doing every day though.

Thanks Moonbow. That makes a lot of sense. I will try to not be disheartened by times that do not work so well .. but feel pleased that I did do something. I am sure there is still a lot to be gained by the experiences that are not as good as others - even just the discipline to take myself down there and have a go.

LB

Sophie-David

Moonbow* said:
I prefer Reiki meditation to any other that I've tried, but it can vary, sometimes there is too much noise, even if it IS the birds singing or my son playing his guitar... it's better then to be aware of these things while meditating.
Hi Moonbow*

I am just curious - would Reiki meditation be described as a concentrative, awareness or surrender type? I'm guessing "awareness"?

Moonbow* said:
I think you will find the right one, the one that suits you and your lifestyle best, it's always worth trying different methods too. Many people say they can't meditate because they cannot switch off thoughts. But you must remember that meditation is the doing of it and not necessarily the succeeding. Some days go better than others...... definately something that is worth doing every day though.
Yes MoonBow*, I heartily agree, both to trying different methods and to "just doing". If you are "just doing" then you are succeeding.

Having just started meditating regularly over a week ago, I think the number one barrier I had to cross was the intellectual conviction that I could not stop thinking. I had the illusion that the only way to stop the stream of consciousness was to be dead! Since I'm quite sure I'm not dead yet, this is clearly not the case! ;)

Namaste - David

Moonbow

Hi David

Yes Reiki meditation is awareness, which is why I think it works for me so well. I just never could get the hang of breathing meditation. It felt like too much 'work' to me. I've found at times even while doing the Reiki meditation that I have been able to adapt it to what I want to do, it depends on how quiet the house is (teens!).

A good friend told me about going to a safe place, a scene where I am completely safe and familiar with my surroundings, (it can be taken from a picture or painting, or even Tarot card). Sometimes during my Reiki mediation I go there and I have spoken to a few people (spirit guides). So, although in it's form as was taught to me is is awareness... I have changed it to suit my mood. I always start off the same though, connecting to Reiki, the principles etc.

You are right though, the 'doing' IS 'succeeding', but so many people give up on meditation because after a few tries, and not being able to shut out thoughts, they think they cannot meditate when infact they were doing just that.

I still haven't mastered completely getting rid of thoughts, I think of them as clouds, and as one comes into my mind I acknowledge it (but spend no time on it), while it passes by, then I'm on track again.

It's good to hear you are doing meditation, I think it's one of the best 'pick me ups' there is. Daily meditation seems to keep any problems in perpective, makes me feel lighter and able to cope with difficult situations - but without the stress. Very good before difficult meetings!

Imagemaker

I still haven't mastered completely getting rid of thoughts, I think of them as clouds, and as one comes into my mind I acknowledge it (but spend no time on it),

There is no "getting rid of thoughts" for anyone, even at the highest level master, even Thich Nhat Hanh says that. There is simply the notice-release witnessing of them.

And then you ARE meditating. Thoughts slow down, don't hook you so much any more, and yes, sometimes completely fade. But in the next session, they WILL be back.

And it doesn't matter, because the meditator knows how to release them (sometimes not instantly, sometimes not easily). It can become fascinating, not frustrating, just to see what arises :)

Sophie-David

Moonbow* said:
A good friend told me about going to a safe place, a scene where I am completely safe and familiar with my surroundings, (it can be taken from a picture or painting, or even Tarot card). Sometimes during my Reiki mediation I go there and I have spoken to a few people (spirit guides). So, although in it's form as was taught to me is is awareness... I have changed it to suit my mood. I always start off the same though, connecting to Reiki, the principles etc.
Hi Moonbow*

Its interesting to compare notes! This sounds very much like what I was doing last year in my meditational cycle on the Tarot. I would start with Centering Meditation (not knowing what it was called, but something I practiced instinctually), then once in unitive space I would return to the egoic realm in imaginal or visionary meditation. This was very important work at that time, but at the moment it seems that pure Centering Meditation is where I need to be.

Deep Blessings - David

Webwitch

LittleBuddha said:
When I get a thought, I acknowledge it and try to let it pass, but it is not so easy always.

I don't always use the "clear your mind" meditations.

LittleBuddha said:
Do you close your eyes or do you focus on something - a candle, a space, a statue, incense?

I use all of these techniques, including guided meditations.

LittleBuddha said:
What time is best to meditate?

I try to meditate at dawn when the energy is at its best, however, if I can't manage it at that time, then whenever I get some time I meditate. If I get to the end of the day without meditating, then I do it just before I get to bed.

Cheers,
Webwitch :)