Wicca Pack - ATHAME (commander of power)

MareSaturni

Well people, time for a new card. Please, keep posting in the old threads if you still have any insights to share...they are in no way closed!
For those who don't know, our index is here.

ATHAME

This card has a complex imagery....it shows a hand holding an athame, and it's coming out from the water (?). Behind it, there's something that looks like a sun...but there's a big circle, with red edge and grey-ish spiral thing (for me it looks like wind...go figure...) inside, covering the centre of this sun. The athame seems to be the one casting this circle.
The background is a night sky filled with stars and a moon.

The keywords are empowerment, direction, boudaries.

So...any insights?

Tarotphelia

The resemblance to the tarot's Ace of Swords is probably not too accidental, as they might just represent the same thing. For me it is force, and the direction of force . The usual association with force is rather overbearing , even brutal. But, this does not have to be the case. Force can be positive and fulfilling . The hand in the card might be coming out of the water, or maybe a spiral of cloud-like streams , which makes me think of force emerging and being directed between realms . It could be flames at the edge of the circle, one of the protective visualizations.

There is probably the elemental association again - Air , and the direction East , season Spring , according to this link again:

http://www.fabrisia.com/elements.htm

Although I had a sneaking suspicion it was supposed to be North & Winter . It probably depends on which style of witchcraft one is studying.

FantasyWorld

The Athame is an extension of yourself.....it is your Will, your Power. It's more of a command than say the Wand which is more like asking. The Athame is IT WILL BE DONE. Coming up out of the water like that reminds me a little of Excalibur.

MareSaturni

Dark Inquisitor said:
Force can be positive and fulfilling . The hand in the card might be coming out of the water, or maybe a spiral of cloud-like streams , which makes me think of force emerging and being directed between realms . It could be flames at the edge of the circle, one of the protective visualizations.

Very true. This card be surely associated to the Ace/Swords in tarot, then represent the full power of the intellect and the visualization, rising even above feelings (that could be represented by the water or by the cloud-like streams since feelings can cloud over our vision cometimes). Sometimes, when you need to focus on something, to command your power, you need to use your mind only - if you let feeling get in the way, you might lose your focus.
It doesn't mean it's bad, just a mind exercise. The Athame is daring you to hold it and direct your energy, your power to the goal you wish to be achieved, without fear nor doubts.

FantasyWorld said:
The Athame is an extension of yourself.....it is your Will, your Power. It's more of a command than say the Wand which is more like asking.
Interesting...never saw this dfference. I guess the Wand shall be our next card.

catlin

The Athame is a kind of a little sword so the comparison with Excalibut is not too far fetched.

The Athame is also a kind of test because in some Witch tradition the witch had to forge his/her athame all by himself/herself.

Remember the cults/religions in which blacksmiths were considered as magicians becaue they dominate the elements in the forging process.

MareSaturni

catlin said:
The Athame is a kind of a little sword so the comparison with Excalibut is not too far fetched.

The Athame is also a kind of test because in some Witch tradition the witch had to forge his/her athame all by himself/herself.

Remember the cults/religions in which blacksmiths were considered as magicians becaue they dominate the elements in the forging process.

Very interesting...the Athame as a challenge!
A test to see if you are ready to accomplish what you wish...too see if it's a real wish, not a moment thing. Maybe to see if are ready to face any barriers that you find ahead - if you'll not give up so easily.