Your Altar

mingbop

Well I don't have an altar, don't feel the need for one...I just have a medicine pouch from the navajo with my feathers in it --and a very peaceful bedroom ! lol

Cerulean

Something that I've always longed to do...

I've always longed to see if I can follow the course of a seasonal year with appropriate 'decoration'...and I took out time to see what I could do.

My theme is 'aoume' or Spring Plum and the coloration includes the dark blue and black to offset the natural tones of maple, leaf-green, and a lovely blush of plummy-rose-pink. There's Shinto and inherited bits from left to right...

But the most important, as you might have seen in another place, is the waving charm of the beckoning cat, Manaki Neko (spelling). I've said that this is the "High-Five" cat of good fortune to my nephews and we give each other high-five -hellos and goodbyes to this day. A wish for prosperity and an old-fashioned charm to all...

And to you all, a wish for prosperity and charms before the summer rolls in!

Cerulean

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 220
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 194
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 188

bleuivy

Your altar looks lovely, Cerulean. Thanks for posting pictures. :)

Every time I look at this thread, I feel compelled to work on my altar. Right now, it's just a hodge-podge of items that really doesn't have a theme or flow. It doesn't feel...I don't know...special or spiritual to me.

The problem is that I have very limited space. Oh well.

Cerulean

Thanks Blueivy...I have a secret...

It's a storage container from I rotate items seasonally.

And I use a lot of small things that can be stored easily when not on the alter...lots of this came from relatives or the kitchen storage cabinet. I've been cleaning out and getting rid of different items, but have kept some family things.

Best wishes in your storage and layouts of things!

Cerulean

Milfoil

bleuivy said:
Your altar looks lovely, Cerulean. Thanks for posting pictures. :)

Yes it does :)

bleuivy said:
Every time I look at this thread, I feel compelled to work on my altar. Right now, it's just a hodge-podge of items that really doesn't have a theme or flow. It doesn't feel...I don't know...special or spiritual to me.

The problem is that I have very limited space. Oh well.

Mine is very small indeed and only has a few things in/on it but its all I need to focus. I guess it all depends on the associations you have with the objects and how you see them fitting into your practice.

Milfoil

mingbop said:
Well I don't have an altar, don't feel the need for one...I just have a medicine pouch from the navajo with my feathers in it --and a very peaceful bedroom ! lol

I once thought about making something similar to hang around my neck but to place little slips of paper in with names on as a prayer bag, each day I can add a person or remove one when things are ok - like an aide-memoir but close to me all the time.

Perhaps I should do it - just can't think of what to make it out of so that it would be big enough to use but small enough to be inconspicuous and not too bulky.

bleuivy

Milfoil said:
Mine is very small indeed and only has a few things in/on it but its all I need to focus. I guess it all depends on the associations you have with the objects and how you see them fitting into your practice.

Hi Milfoil,

I think that might be why I'm not connected as much to my altar as I'd like to be. It's too cluttered despite how small the space is, and also, it's on a shelf right above my computer, so it's in a place I usually associate with "work." I'm trying to get more in touch with it, though, and when I have it the way I like it, I'll post a picture. :)

sharpchick

Here's a photo of my garden altar, which faces east. You can't tell it in the photo, but directly over the altar is a clearing in the pine trees, which are 30' to 40' tall. When the moon is full, there is about a 20 minute period of time when a shaft of moonlight cascades down on the altar.

Attachments

• East altar resized.JPG
    East altar resized.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 187

Milfoil

Your outdoor altar looks wonderful Sharpchick. I'd love to see it when you have it set out for ritual use but I understand if that is something private that you would rather not share.

My garden isn't big enough really for something that size and also our neighbours being very strong church-goers would probably have a stroke if they saw me constructing an altar or a pentogram near their fence!! (I confess that the thought is quite amusing though) ;)

sharpchick

I am toying with painting the Caddo solar cross on the fence. It is rather plain though, so I may just leave well enough alone.

Attachments

• Caddo solar cross.jpg
    Caddo solar cross.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 164