"The Sacred Tarot Unveiled" book review

tarotbear

The Sacred Tarot Unveiled by Allyson Walsh = Allyson Universal Ministry Press

I should start by telling you I bought this book over two years ago and finally sat down to read it. I will admit I've read a lot of books in my time and when I buy I new tarot book I'm interested in seeing what 'new' something the author has to teach me. I think I bought this book for the two fold-out charts that are in it. the first one is a pyramid shape with the Majors on it following the Fool's Journey around it. The second chart is an explanation of the houses in an astrology layout.
I was interested in what made the tarot 'sacred' - meaning 'entitled to the highest respect or reverence' (Webster's); I believe the author's intent was 'dedicated or appropriated to religious use' (also Websters'). What this means is that for all the Majors she gives you at least three Bible quotes. She does not do this for any of the Minors. Fine - give me some Bible quotes- big deal. What do they have to DO with each other? This is the explanations I expected and did not receive. {If I sprinkled an auto parts catalog with Bible quotes - would that make the auto parts 'sacred'?}. I am still waiting foir something to be 'unveiled' for I do not feel the book teaches me anything. In fact, there is a section in the minors where the author states directly - you can figure this out for yourself - in the MIDDLE of an explanation!

The interesting thing is the 18-card Celtic cross reading with the two extra sceptures. The author lays out #7 to #10 as usual bottom to top, then lays down #11 & 12 next to #7, # 13 & 14 next to #8, #15 & 16 next to #9, and #17 & 18 next to # 10. She feels that a single card is not enough information to read off of. You can also read the extra cards as a timing sequence.

Like I said, I bought this book two years ago and just got down to reading it...

MeeWah

Tarotbear: Allyson Walsh's book was a welcome change from the other books I'd attempted. This is one of the first Tarot books I bought after attempting to read Arthur Waite's book on his deck (very dry) also a book by Eden Gray. I did not read this through as I prefer not to with any Tarot book (so as not to be overly influenced in meanings); however, what I have read of it I found inspiring.
Also, I had been using non-Tarot cards for readings for years & Tarot was calling me. I had nearly given up on finding a book that would give some basics in an understandable fashion as well as some of the more in-depth material. The book was a "sign"--it sat amongst many other Tarot books & caught my eye.
I like the material in it: the charts (which you mentioned), the workbook-type sections, the discussion of numerology & the inclusion of reversed meanings which she explains later in the book.
I think Walsh's use of "sacred" refers to the type of knowledge Tarot involves. It is by its nature, an esoteric system of knowledge first. Such knowledge is available to those willing to invest the time, effort & dedication in acquiring the knowledge & understanding.
I think the use of "unveiled" refers to accessing knowledge that is "hidden" from view or not readily apparent.
Both terms bring The High Priestess to mind. It is after I'd started using the book as inspiration that The High Priestess appeared to me.
As for the quotes--they are from other sources besides Scripture although most are biblical. I find them as interesting & thoughtful prefaces to each card; references to the essence of the card.
For instance, the first quote for 0-The Fool is:
"If anyone among you thinks that he is wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise. For the wisdom of this world is folly with God."
- I Corinthians 3:18-19
Among other things, The Fool is about innocence or innocent wisdom, child-like faith & potential as opposed to being foolish or unwise.
A quote for 1-The Magician:
"Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. The kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven."
- Matthew 6:9-10
The Magician is about the use of one's will. A key phrase for this card is "I Will".
The single quote for 2-The High Priestess:
"Wisdom is the prinicipal thing, therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting, get understanding."
- Proverbs 4-7
That makes perfect sense. All the knowledge in the world will not serve as wisdom if there is not an appropriate understanding of how & when to use it.
Not every Tarot book is going to serve the needs of all its readers, but this book is one that pointed me in the right direction.

jmd

The Sacred Tarot Unveiled by Allyson Walsh = Allyson Universal Ministry Press

Thanks so much for these reviews and comments. I do not have this book, and am now certainly drawn to obtaining it...

Tarotbear, presumably, if a car parts catalogue had biblical or other sacred quotes, they would be ones which would somehow assist the reader in understanding the function of the parts to which the quote is attached...

In that sense, they may be very useful to someone who may be struggling to further 'unveil' the meaning of a car part. With regards to the car parts, I must admit I would find the quote quite unusual and bewildering... and would probably question the intent of the author: another fundamentalist?

With regards to Tarot, however, quotes from such a text should really illuminate the card in question, as MeeWah as shown above!

I agree with Tarotbear, on the other hand, that at times one wonders what certain authors are really trying to say... only to be told that one can figure it oneself... in a location one would expect clarifications!

I took a couple of years for each of certain books (approx.) to attempt to enter the world of the authors and why they said things as they did. For example, Mouni Sadhu Tarot, Papus Tarot of the Bohemians, and Regardie Golden Dawn (amongst others). As there are so many different 'systems', some of which just do not suit our personal temperaments or ontological views, some texts one just has to put aside... for the present!

Quoting relevent material from the Bible does seem to really annoy people who associate the text with the mediaeval Roman Catholic Church and its anti-Christ like crusades.

I'm really grateful for your posts, Tarotbear and MeeWah, and hope I can locate the text in one of Melbourne's bookshops readily... I'll have to otherwise order it online.

Hope others post discussions of books they've worked with!

mythos

It is fascinating reading two such different views on this book. I picked it up a while ago on ebay for a minimal price, and pulled it off the shelf yesterday as 'next read', when I finish The History of the Occult Tarot by Decker and Dummett. I have been made curious.

mythos:)

mythos

Started reading the book ... but I am having trouble persisting. Her history is fiction. She seems to confuse symbol with sign. Numbers? Confusing! What I do like is that, regardless of her ... how shall I put it ... unique .... view, her integrity shines through. No matter what mess she makes, she obviously is commited and firm in what she believes. It is refreshing and is a nice change from those books that seem to be have written with an eye to the market.

mythos:)