What Tarot books still need to be written?

linabeet

How many hundreds of tarot books are there out there? I know the collection on my floor is not slowing it's growth.

My thought today was, what is missing? So many different versions of tarot meanings, spreads, how to's, philosophies, histories, teaching reading writing and learning, magic, spirit, soul and body all have been postulated and repostulated in terms of Tarot. So what remains? Deeper smarter more diverse examinations of these things? Or something new?

Is there a book you want to see but doesn't exist? How far can we go?

lark

A fabulously wonderful, excellently written book in English about the Marseilles.

Cerulean

More specialty books on historical bios and meanings

Not just another book on generally synthesizing different schools into summaries of meanings--but books in clear and small volumes that focus on one time period to the next. Each title will start from one of the many historical periods and suggest why and how the tarot both as a game and design of the cards reflected that time. I've seen art book series do this quite effectively and so the overlap of schools, styles and cultural influences are more thoroughly discussed...and visual samples from the life and times of each period that illuminate the art being discussed or pertinent people or social issues also are noted in a conversational/visual sampling.

For instance, how the art of Pamela Colman Smith or Lady Frieda Harris showed appropriate aspects of their time and thinking. Each could be a volume in itself.

Cerulean

Best regards,

Cerulean

shaveling

lark said:
A fabulously wonderful, excellently written book in English about the Marseilles.
'Deed so. And it has to deal with the minors, not just the trumps.

lunakasha

lark said:

AMEN to that!

I wonder why no one has written one yet.....I am so jealous of people who are fluent in French. :(

:) Luna

Emeraldgirl

lark said:

Agreed. There doesn't really seem to be anything that deals with the Marseilles minors out there although Robert O'Neill's Tarot Symbolism is really good about the majors.

linabeet

Are there any good books in French about the Marseilles that could be translated?

shaveling

lunakasha said:
I wonder why no one has written one yet
Alas, I suspect that there aren't yet enough Anglophones working with the TdM to buy enough copies to make this worth all the work and expense. The same probably goes for translations. But maybe someday....

rachelcat

More History, Please

Cerulean said:
Each title will start from one of the many historical periods and suggest why and how the tarot both as a game and design of the cards reflected that time. I've seen art book series do this quite effectively and so the overlap of schools, styles and cultural influences are more thoroughly discussed...and visual samples from the life and times of each period that illuminate the art being discussed or pertinent people or social issues also are noted in a conversational/visual sampling.

Yes, a history book based on the art would be fascinating. And I vote for more history of the early esoteric tarot. A book that goes into the details of the various esoteric systems--astrological, kabbalistic correspondences, etc. And who influenced whom. I know this is not always clear, what with secret societies, etc. But then, what else are historians for but to find out the secrets of the past?

Pipistrelle

I agree with the suggestions already posted...especially the historical series put forward by Cerulean. That would be fascinating.

I don't pretend to know all the books out there and what they cover, so this suggestion may not even be needed, but I've been longing lately for a book which deals exclusively with reading non-scenic pips (not necessarily Marseille, but any deck with non-scenic pip cards).

Pip