which one?

saber5

i've started to collect tarot only a few weeks ago. i know that i need to buy one of the kaplan encyclopedia's but i'm afraid that ebay has taken a good chunk of my tarot money. if you had to chose one between the three books, which would you chose and why?

thanks

i think this forum is the coolest i've been to ever.

Rosanne

Hi Saber5, welcome to the Forum. I have the four volumes now and They are for different aspects of Tarot. In my opinion Volume 1 was just ok and an OK resource. Volume 11 Is about the cards from the 15th to 19th Century and great for my interest in Tarot History. Volume 111 is about Tarot in the Twentieth Century plus a biggie for me, a comprehensive essay on Pamela Colman Smith the Artist of the Rider Waite Cards. I love this volume. The latest out is Volume 1V. I think it is the best produced in quality and is about Tarot of the 20th century both published and unpublished decks and has a Tarot book bibliography that is great. There is a statement on the back of the last volume that says "Each of the four volumes of the EOT is complete in itself and none of the material is duplicated". I think the latest is great but if I was to purchase only one I would go for Volume 111. Hope this helps :D ~Rosanne

saber5

thanks lots

thank you very much for the advice. i hope to have all of them but i don't think that will happen any time soon.

jmd

The essay in volume three is indeed worth it.

However, for myself, it is volume two that gets the most practical use.