what is the spirit of christmas?

Tara2007

It was a normal Christmas Holiday for my family, in 1995...my son was 3 and my daughter 8, and they were excited and looking forward to the festivities. We had a lot of fun decking the halls, baking, going to restaurants...my kids always wore their finest and behaved so naturally well, not stiff and formal, but were and are so good natured that I couldn't have had a better gift truth be known.

And we were always close to my parents, "nonny and pop-pop" as my kids called them, so it was also normal for us to be around when my parents were hanging up the outside lights...my dad on the ladder and my mom standing below giving instructions of course!

It was one week before Christmas, and my dad had begun putting up decorations earlier that day, but had to stop a few times because he wasn't feeling well. That was a first for him, he was never sick. Finally, he went back in the house to lay down. Later, when we had left, my mother went to check on him and he was burning up with a fever. During the night he got progressively worse...dizzy spells...vomiting....and so in the morning my mother insisted that my dad, "Vince", be seen by his doctor. When they got there, the doctor took one look at my dad and said it was pneumonia and sent him to the hospital right away. But it was not said to be that serious, it was more because of my dad's age, 79, that he would do best with professional care.

Through that week, both my kids also came down with a stomach virus, so I had my hands full, but still the reports from the hospital were optimistic. My dad would probably be home by Christmas Eve.

On Friday, the 22nd, my dad's breathing became very difficult, so he was put in an oxygen tent. It was then that we learned that the antibiotics now being given to him by a tube going into his chest, were not effectively combating the virus. Everything seemed to change so fast, and by the wee hours on the 24th, my dad was put on a respirator. Still, his doctor expected "Vince to recover."

When I got to the hospital on Christmas Eve, I knew that my father was never going to come home again. Tubes everywhere it seemed, by dad's face was this awful ashy blue and he looked as if he were barely alive. I could hear the sound of the breath being forced into him and I could not imagine him being able to draw that same breath on his own. He seemed to have sunken into himself...looked like had dropped a large amount of weight in just a few days....and all I could do was sit there and talk to him about nonsense. How helpless it all felt.

On Christmas Day, I was taking the last dish out of the oven at about 5PM, and had just turned to my husband and told him that all was ready, and everyone could sit down to dinner. It was just then that phone rang and as you may guess it was the hospital, saying that my father was dead.

Memories of that evening are a blur of clanging dishes, my mother-in-law red faced and crying, my mother looking lost and frightened, my son hugging my legs as I stood trying to explain to my daughter how Jesus could allow a person to die on Christmas. An angel in the form of my sister-in-law shoved a glass of champagne in front of me and said "drink this". After that we left for the hospital and the dealt with the horror of a loved one's passing on such a Holiday.

For myself, I must say that I was never an absolute Christian, but do love the spirit of brotherhood and giving to others. For many years I felt angry and resentful during the Christmas holiday, but this year has brought me to a new place of understanding and I have for the first time in nearly 11 years, decked the halls and made merry. It has been great.

So, for me, I would say that the true spirit of Christmas is healing. Even the deepest of wounds can be reduced to nothing more than a small scar that just becomes part of you and you feel good about things nonetheless.

I suppose you could say that for me, "It's A Wonderful Life" would be the right expression. It can be, if we allow it.

The best of The Season to everyone on AT!

HOLMES

dear heart.

your father spirit is with your family every christmas since,,and this christmas as well..

as is all our dearly departed who have left us in body but never in spirit..
at times we are reminded of this ,or that,, or something they used to say..
half of the time it is because they want us to remember and the other half is because our hearts want us to remember what our minds have put aside in modern times.

yet everyt time we remember ,, the love we felt , and still feel is remembered and renewed.. for there is no time on the other side..

and when we meet again,, they look forward to hearing the stories ,, they see what we are doing,, but still they love to hear it from us, as we can only tell it.

aye christmas is very healing indeed for the world,

Phoenix Rising

The Spirit of Christmas to me now..is just a stressful period..of famillies stressing out, and alot of money spent and food eaten. It's the best period for Retailers, and shoppers getting caught up in the hype.

I guess I write this, as I am feeling stressed at the moment, so don't mind me. To some it is a wonderful period of famillies gathering for a lovely feast.

If I believed that it was Christ's true birthday..not to forget that Constantine had changed it to fit in with the Solstice it maybe a bit more significant for me, but it's not.

But nonetheless..I hope you all have a joyful and prosperous Christmas!

HOLMES

that has been something eh?

myself i dont' believe that christ is the saviour in the sense he has overcome sin, though in a way he has.. through his forgiveness and in doing so overcame karma, judgement and so forth, which includes notion of sin.

i dont believe that christ is the lord of all,, because he said
love your god and your brother,,
not love me as your god for i am in your lord.
at least that is how i take his two commandants.
yet i know that in loving the creator within me, my brother , and aye jesus,,
i am seeing him as a lord,, the lord we can all become.

so i wondered what exactly am i celebrating on christmas anyways ?

i dont know what pagan holiday or it was intended before it was adopted as the offical birthdate of jesus., i think that it should matter what it was for originally..(anyone know)?

so for a while in my life i was stuck on this, WE DONT' EVEN KNOW WHEN HE WAS BORN ???????.
then i realize in celebrating the birthday of this child.. whenver it was..
we are celebrating the birthday of all children in a way.(about here is when i was told to get t bed and wreck my flow of thought)

i realize then that i am celebrating the coming of an awakening of a person who showed us the way to the creator
i got a lot more to say but i was told to get to sleep, by someone down the hall,, so i better get to bed,, and not keep people awake who hear my typing :).

mingbop

or, Holmes, take it back to what is was before christ.... a rock to cling to in the deepest, darkest, coldest part of the year....light in the darkness...laughter & love and the sure & certain knowledge that the world turns and the sun will come again.
I think it would be so much nicer if we could get back to that way of seeing it.

WolfSpirit

HOLMES said:
i dont know what pagan holiday or it was intended before it was adopted as the offical birthdate of jesus., i think that it should matter what it was for originally..(anyone know)?

I think Winter Solstice...
what mingbop says...the darkest days of the year, but then the Wheel is turning and it will soon be lighter and warmer again.
Our biological clock is not set for a lot of stress this time of year. We should just enjoy and not try to make everything perfect.
For me, Christmas is just enjoying the hearth and home. And the people I love, and I hope they are not infected by the Christmas virus (as in: stressing out) too much ;)

Milfoil

Yes, midwinter, the cycle of life and the turning of the year with the promise of the new year and a new beginning. The red berries and evergreen leaves are the symbols of that never ending life. These were adopted by the early Christian church as a convenient similarity with the birth of Christ and the red berries as his blood shed on the cross. Never made that much sense to me to be refering to his death at the same time as his birth but hey!

Celebrating the warmth and comfort of good food a good fire, good friends, family and the end of the year fits more with my way of thinking and thanksgiving.

The winter solstice is the key, measurable moment when the timings of the new year for sewing, harvest etc can be calculated. In a rural environment this information would have been incredibly important so you can imagine how such celebrations would have lit up the dark evenings and brightened the spirits.

Michael

mingbop said:
or, Holmes, take it back to what is was before christ.... a rock to cling to in the deepest, darkest, coldest part of the year....light in the darkness...laughter & love and the sure & certain knowledge that the world turns and the sun will come again.
I think it would be so much nicer if we could get back to that way of seeing it.

I couldn't agree more :)

Miren

mingbop said:

True, I think such a festival is very encouraging. But even taking it to something preVictorian (since the Victorians pretty much invented Christmas as we know it) would be good. Or perhaps spending the day in ways that honor the teachings, the hopefulness, the love, the brother/sisterhood which come from the person it claims to celebrate. I think I got a taste for that for the first time when I went to a Christmas mass last year. It was beautiful, not about the whole baby thing but about Jesus' overall teachings.

HOLMES

wow

nice messages there mingbop, wolfspirit, and tarroci,

I remember when i was about 20ish,, i said to a group of people, that I know why they chose december 25 (at the time i didn't look at the tradition before it), it was because it is winter and a long time of darkness,, so it was there to help us through it.
or something to that effect.
so reading your messages brought a smile to my face.

i was thinking about how ignorant i was to think the whole world celebrates christmas and if they didn't .. THEY SHOULD.
but then as i grew older ,, i learned it was because of their beliefs,, their life experience and that old adage "walk a mile in their moccasins"

and yet thinking about some of the scrooge movies where the ghost of christmas present says to scrooge "it is christmas here to you know" as you see the poor, the sick celebrating christmas.
and in the one by george c scott.. you see a poor man angry because he can't feed his family.
heart breaking it is sure..

so for those who have nothing, have hardships, it is chirstmas just as it is for those have lots, and have it easy briefly for that one christmas.
yet the bad christmas are remembered in the times of good christmas like we remember when sometimes when we pass by husky when we had to go there on christmas day because my bro was in the jail, and we laugh thinking about how cold it was.
some christmas we hardly remember for those going through a sad time..
like when we lost those people and their caskets arrived on christmas eve in the reserve.
i was at home though still trying to make a christmas memories for the little ones.. and that becomes our strength .. letting that be our our shiny memory that we give the kids a christmas during that time.

so it is still christmas for those who dont' believe, or celebrate it/keep it,
as the ideals of christmas are not for one day,, but for every day.
the idea of "it isnt' christmas yet," when you offer a merry christmas, an early present, a hug, or want to sing joyously is hard for those hve to go