jmd

Great news :)

Looking forward to seeing its release.

Fulgour

Kudos Lee

ISBN 0-7387-0950-6
Price $19.95
Available: August 2006

The Universal Marseille Tarot takes us directly to the origin of tarot.
The highly sought-after deck by Claude Burdel (1727-1799), originally
rich with divinatory suggestion, has been beautifully restored ~ giving
new energy to the images and amplifying their symbolic meaning. :)

Lee

Thanks, Fulgour!

To clarify, I believe that is the deck only (for which I wrote the LWB). The deck/book set will, I believe, be available later on in the year and is probably not on any retail outlet's radar screen yet.

-- Lee

Scion

Lee!

Thrilling news and long overdue... Can't wait to have it in my hands.

Scion

Cerulean

Very cool and hope to see it soon...

I think this will be one for the books (wishlist)!

Cerulean

Little Baron

That sounds great, Lee. Congratulations. A book like this has been very much in demand for a long time!

I don't know if you are allowed to speak about it before it's release, but was wondering what kind of style it was written in. Will it work with element and numerology? Or something else? I only ask this question because I have picked up books with Marseille or early Italian illustrations before, only to find that meanings corresponding to the RWS are used. As an example, I do not see the 'Three of Swords' as heartbreak (and the like) when I read with a Marseille deck. I see it as mental growth through partisiapation and the joining with other minds, ideas and texts to move forward. I would link the shadow side of the 'Three of Cups' to emotional heartbreak if I worked from the element/number method. However, with RWS imagery, which the Marseille does not have, troubles with love and emotion can be suggested. Lady Lorelei is a good example of an author who uses the illustrations of one deck (the Classic/Soprafino) but interprets the cards with the Waite system, which I feel is inappropriate.

Was just interested. This will definitely be a book that I will be picking up. Very glad that someone has decided to do this. I was hoping, at one point, that either jmd or Diana would take the bait.

LB

jmd

Lee's book does not preclude others to also write one (or two or three!)...

Looking forward to MANY on the Marseille ;)

MeeWah

((((((Lee)))))) That is really welcome news!!

I have Papus' 'The Bohemian Tarot' which seems to be based on a Marseilles deck but also on esoterica, most of which very heavy reading though intriguing. (Think it will take me the rest of this lifetime & into at least another to attempt to read through, let alone understand.)

Also Joseph Maxwell's 'The Tarot', but the cards do not appear to be discussed in any order that I can discern. A reliance on & reference to numerology with also no order to its discussion. Obscure references abound.
Still, it represents the only clearly Marseilles-oriented book I have found in English, so appreciated for any bit of insight.

Thus, very much looking forward to your publication!!

Little Baron

jmd said:
Looking forward to MANY on the Marseille ;)

Same here!

Lee, I think you are very good at seeing where there is a gap in the market. I always wondered why a commercial and universal gay tarot had not been created. Aside for a need for such, I also thought it would be quite a profitable project. In the same way, many have been crying out for an authors insight into the Marseille for a long time. I wish you luck with this project. You bring us what we need, as well as sharing your interests!

I often thought about sitting down with the cards and just writing. Researching numerology and symbols that are found. Working with the floral arrangements and trying to identify the plant life in them. But I always imagining that someone would do it better so I left well enough alone, lol.

Best, LB