lenormand's book

matrix

Hallo!

Can somebody help me, where can I buy a Fortune telling book which author is Mlle Lenormand?

Thanks a lot for all help.

Matrix

stella01904

MM ~ Mlle. Lenormand wrote some autobiographical stuff in French but does not have a fortune telling book. Wehman's Book of Fortune Telling by Cards is purportedly by Mlle.'s daughter, as are numerous other Victorian oracle books. The "Lenormand" name was a good sales gimmick at the time, kind of like "gypsy". If you want a copy of Wehman's you can usually find it on CD on ebay. It is written for reading playing cards. There are no books in English on either Petit (36 card) Lenormand or the Astromythological Grand Lenormand (which, BTW, appeared several years after her death and was not made or used by her. It's still a great deck, though.:smoker:) One of Erna Droesbeke's books was once published in english but it is OOP and nigh impossible to get. I learned to read these decks at forums. If you want, you can pm me and I will send you a link to a forum where you can learn Lenormand.
BB, Stella

matrix

hallo Stella,

thank you for your answer. Yes it will be nice from you to send me a link.
I red some informatioms here in the forum, but sometime it is difficult me to make a question to the topic.

matrix

rachelcat

I stumbled across this today.

http://www.llewellyn.com/bookstore/book.php?pn=J798

It looks like at least one book on petit Lenormand cards is coming our way! It seems that this is not a mini deck, but a mini-kit = cards and a book.

"French Cartomancy Mini by Lo Scarabeo

Available: March 2006
Marie Anne Lenormand is famous for being Napolean Bonaparte's trusted card reader. Let the Sibilla of the Salons guide you toward self-understanding and insight through this historically-inspired oracle deck. The mini-kit version includes a detailed instruction manual for understanding and working with this unique oracle."

Cerulean

I found this today and it has 6 pages of suggested meanings

1.Horseman: Don't fear change; but don't forget the tradtion that led you to where you are...Upright is Pleasant surprises from a man, reversed is ambitious youth triumpths to the detriment of the querent...it goes on to card number 36, the Cross.

I've heard or seen in the Los Scarabeo thread that they plan to publish a Lenormand Tarot with booklet of instructions....I don't know if follows a similar format.

But I do like the small deck and booklet...I was buying the Three Musketeers today and thought Lenormand cartomancy cards reminded me of some other similar Sibilla decks...charming...things like the letter, dog, home in the country seem similar...there's playing cardlike suits indicated on the cards with French pips.

It may be a 52 card Lenormand-style deck or Sibilla with a booklet might be similar?

Cerulean

stella01904

rachelcat said:
MM ~ Nice! I didn't know they were coming out with that. They've been offering a Lenormand deck from Lo Scarabeo, pretty, but with no playing card insets. I like this one a lot better. It's every bit as pretty as my Piatnik and it looks familiar, I think it's a repro of an old deck.
BB, Stella

stella01904

Cerulean said:
1.Horseman: Don't fear change; but don't forget the tradtion that led you to where you are...Upright is Pleasant surprises from a man, reversed is ambitious youth triumpths to the detriment of the querent...it goes on to card number 36, the Cross.
MM ~ How confusing!

The Horseman, aka the Rider, aka the Cavalier, simply means news. Usually important news, since he appears to be a well-to-do gentleman and is coming to deliver the news himself instead of sending a hired man.

What kind of news? Look to the neighboring cards: Next to the Dog, news of a friend, next to the dark side of the Clouds, troubling news, etc.

You CAN use reversals in Lenormand, but most people don't.
I've heard or seen in the Los Scarabeo thread that they plan to publish a Lenormand Tarot with booklet of instructions....I don't know if follows a similar format.
I saw that at the Lo Scarabeo site. It's a thing that somebody cooked up, it's neither a true Lenormand nor a true Tarot, but it might be fun.
But I do like the small deck and booklet...I was buying the Three Musketeers today and thought Lenormand cartomancy cards reminded me of some other similar Sibilla decks...charming...things like the letter, dog, home in the country seem similar...there's playing cardlike suits indicated on the cards with French pips.
I agree, Lenormand, Sibilla, Biedermeier, and Kipperkarten are all related. :) A lot of us would like to find the "Ur" or proto deck, but I don't think it exists. More likely they began with emblem books. You might want to google those. ;)
It may be a 52 card Lenormand-style deck or Sibilla with a booklet might be similar?
The deck being offered at the Llewellyn site is a traditional 36 card Lenormand.
BB, Stella

Netzach

In her introduction to the Titania Fortune Cards, Titania says "These cards are a modern re-interpretation of those she [ie Mme Lenormand] used: we have remeained faithful to the symbol and much of the meaning she invested in each image, but have given them a more up to date feel to communicate the different way we now lead our lives." So you might find this set a useful jumping off point. Antique Lenormand cards sometimes come up for sale on Ebay but tend to be quite expensive if in good condition.

stella01904

MM ~ With all respect, I find Titania's Lenormand a bit garish - like 80's swimwear. :D
There are lots of Lenormand decks still in print, you don't have to buy antique. You shouldn't have to spend more than 6 or 7 dollars US.
BB, Stella

rachelcat

stella01904 said:
MM ~ With all respect, I find Titania's Lenormand a bit garish - like 80's swimwear. :D

I don't think Mlle Lenormand would like the neon cards!! But Titania's is one of the few books in English on how to use the cards. I was just rereading it for that reason. There are some card problems, too. An owl for the birds? An owl gives a whole different feeling than birds, I think. And that white mountain. All I can think of is iceberg! I guess if you get that next to the ship, it's Titanic, watch out!