Mary K. Greer's 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card (her new book)

HOLMES

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0738707848/ref=nosim/aeclectic/

I will be looking forward to this book like i did her court cards book.

Editorial Reviews

Book Description
Drawing on nearly forty years of tarot experience, Mary K. Greer has developed a new energizing approach-made up of twenty-one stimulating techniques-to interpret or deepen your understanding of each card. Just as the twenty-one letters of the alphabet can be combined to form billions of words, Greer's twenty-one methods can be used in any combination for gaining amazing new insights and perspectives. Emphasizing both traditional and personal methods of interpretation, Greer's techniques involve storytelling, sketching, symbols, metaphors, dialogues, acting, and other imaginative exercises. Designed to bring about interaction, transformation, and empowerment, this twenty-one-pronged approach to tarot can help readers expand standard interpretations and evolve new ways of connecting to the cards.

it is the same description as on the llewyln site

at first when i saw the description
i thought it would be a book on how to use the 21 cards as approaches to read any one card.
and perhaps these 21 approaches can be put into the one to 21 cards i don't know as i havne't read the book yet .

mary if you read this in your passing of the forum i am for one looking forward to your book and anything you have to say .

Alta

I think it sounds excellent. I have enjoyed all of her books. Thanks for the information HOLMES!

FearfulSymmetry

I look forward to this book too, I love Mary's books.

December Fairy

It looks like it will be a great book. It's now on my wish list.
Thanks for the link.

sharpchick

I'd be interested in the book, but even more interested in what language the editorial staff speaks.

"Just as the twenty-one letters of the alphabet can be combined to form billions of words. . ."

My English alphabet has twenty-six letters last count. :confused:

tarotbear

A B C D E F ...what...?

Wow! They don't call you sharpchick for nuttin' !!! {Actually, I was thinking the same thing - where are the rest of the 26 letters?} :confused:

TallTarotGuy

Hmmmm

Well, if you subtract the 5 vowels...

a - e - i - o - u

you get 21 letters. Still, last time I checked, vowels were considered letters. Hmmmmmm

TTG

sharpchick

TallTarotGuy said:
Well, if you subtract the 5 vowels...

a - e - i - o - u

you get 21 letters. Still, last time I checked, vowels were considered letters. Hmmmmmm

TTG

And then, there is that niggly little "and sometimes 'y'". . . ;)

Just a minor point, but I deal with minutiae and detail for a living. . .

Teheuti

HOLMES said:
At first when i saw the description
i thought it would be a book on how to use the 21 cards as approaches to read any one card.
and perhaps these 21 approaches can be put into the one to 21 cards i don't know as i havne't read the book yet .
Hi - I just saw this today. I'm so glad you're looking forward to the book.

Llewellyn's description is a little strange and I have no control over it. I only saw it about 10 days ago and was dismayed that they said, "Just as the twenty-one letters of the alphabet can be combined to form billions of words. . ." (you are sharp - sharpchick)! I'm not sure exactly what they meant by that.

Anyway, the idea is that I present 21 ways that can be used to read one tarot card or many. A couple of methods involve comparison and contrast among cards. I recommend that you draw one card and interpret it using each of the 21 methods - in order to see how deeply you can go into the meanings that a card can have for you at a particular time. But, I also say that you can draw a new card whenever you wish, and at times you'll be asked to draw additional cards for comparison and contrast.

Also, the book is both about reading for yourself and reading for (and with) others. Anyone's individual reading style will, most likely, be made up of a personalized selection of these methods. The book gives you the opportunity to see your style as a personal selection out of a range of possibilities and to add to your "bag of tricks" (techniques kept in the Magician's bag, so to speak).

I also present what I call a "Reading that is Interactive, Transformational and Empowering" (RITE). Basically it draws from any and even all of the techniques, as needed.

The "21 Ways" are the ones that I have found most valuable in my classes and workshops and which I have integrated into my own approach to the cards. They are the reason that I continue (after 38 years with tarot as a major life focus) to find the cards deeply fascinating, alive and dynamically revealing.

Glad to see you talking about this book and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

BTW, I was going to relate each "way" to a Trump, with the Fool standing for everything beyond. However, when I started to force some of the material into card metaphors I realized that would do a diservice to the work itself for the sake of being "cute." None-the-less, there is a Step 0 (at the beginning) and 00 (at the end) - that represents the psychic-intuitive flashes that happen in and among all the other ways. I made the decision NOT to make this a book on psychic development - that should be its own book - but, instead, to just occasionally suggest where and how it might occur and how to recognize it.

Mary

Alta

Thanks Mary. I have two of your books on the shelf right beside my computer, and no doubt will add this one. Looking forward to reading it.