Creating your own Oracle

Liralen

They are called ESP-cards. Normally, they aren't used as an oracle at all but to determine if a person has telepathic abilities. One person pulls a card and thinks of the symbol and the other person, who can't see the symbol on the card, tries to pick up that thought telepathically.

But I bought them to use as an oracle, only I haven't found a way to do so yet.

There are five different symbols, a star, wavelines, a cross, a square and a circle. I was thinking that each symbol could represent an element, and the star maybe something like the Major Arcana Cards in tarot.

But that's not enough for me to do a reading, so if you have any ideas, I'd be glad if you could share them.

MareSaturni

Liralen said:
They are called ESP-cards. Normally, they aren't used as an oracle at all but to determine if a person has telepathic abilities. One person pulls a card and thinks of the symbol and the other person, who can't see the symbol on the card, tries to pick up that thought telepathically.

Interesting usage. I had never seen them for sale here, but you can print them from some site, right?
Do you remember, in the movie, the cards that showed up when she saw that that girl was dead? Maybe that would give us some tips on what one of the symbols mean.

Liralen said:
But that's not enough for me to do a reading, so if you have any ideas, I'd be glad if you could share them.

I don't have any ideas, but that doesn't mean we cannot create something totogethe :D :D :D
Or try to, at least.

I think this deck, like Lenormand's Petit Jeu, depends more on the combinations than on the individual cards.

Anyway, here are some useful links about the ESP-Cards i've found:
- Print the cards: http://www.mdani.demon.co.uk/para/zener.htm
- For a Computer-Generated Rhine test: http://www.salemtarot.com/cgi-bin/rhine.pl
- AT thread about this deck: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=20925

No site about these cards being used as an oracle. *le sigh*

~Yuko

Liralen

miss_yuko said:
I don't have any ideas, but that doesn't mean we cannot create something totogethe :D :D :D
Or try to, at least.

~Yuko

That would be great! I've always wanted to read with them, and I'm glad to meet someone who is interested in them, too.

By the way, I found mine in an online-shop for magicians, where they sell top hats for pulling out white rabbits and so on, maybe you can find a similar store where you live.

Or you could print them out, that would be easier, of course, and I have to say that my store-bought deck is not as solid as the deck in the movie. The cards are quite flimsy, actually.

zorya

if you use our search feature, you should find several previous threads about zener cards here. :)

MareSaturni

Liralen said:
That would be great! I've always wanted to read with them, and I'm glad to meet someone who is interested in them, too.

Great...i'll can start another thread, what do you think? Then people interested in it can also join us while we try to find a way to use these cards for divination.

What do you think?

By the way, i think i'll print the cards in those laminate papers used to print photography...it's flimsy, but more resistant than common paper!

~Yuko

Tarotphelia

At the request of esteemed member Fulgour, I have been working on a "psychic oracle." Of course, he refused to give me any idea of just what kind of psychic oracle it might be , so I was left to my own devices .

Thusfar , it will be somewhere between 20 - 30 engraved symbols on mixed color agate stones from Lake Superior . The symbols themselves are related to my own odd dream symbols, ignored mysteries , and real life incidents .

The question for me was: -- how to make an oracle that was different than other oracles ? Not just another version of Madame Endora , or other oracle decks & runes ? After a while , oracles can become very repetitious if you have a lot of them and eventually you go seeking something unique . While trying to make it different, then I realized nobody would understand it without explanation so I am forced to create some kind of guidebook.

The next question is : --- will it work ? I will have to do some testing and abuse of my friends to find out . In my mind, oracles should reveal something and not just rehash old concepts if possible.

I think the great benefit to me will be that this is one oracle I will not have to waste a lot of time learning ! It will be interesting to see how different it is when one is using one's personal oracle , so to speak.

I don't know when it will be finished , and the name and theme are secret until it is ready . I think that's best .

Milfoil

Some time ago I asked a similar question

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=38513

Though I never finished the 'set' its something that still lies close to my heart. I think the reason I never finished it was that I still needed to learn so much more about divination.

So far I have a collection of interesting bits & pieces but not sure how I should read them! LOL.

Elven

I love making Oracle sets!! and all the little bits that go with them :) Unfortunately, I am slow at this and it sort of ends up going in fits and starts, but its an experience in itself.

I have a picture of Chronatas Dreamstones and the box I made for them (the bag they come in is stars and moons) - the Oracle is beautiful!!! and they work so well!!!

I hope this link works, but these are Alpha Stones I make - I use them in conjunction with other types of Tarot and Oracle readings :)
http://www.tarotforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=7477

Attachments

• MVC-600F Elven Made Stars & Moon Box sml with Dream Stones by Chronata.JPG
    MVC-600F Elven Made Stars & Moon Box sml with Dream Stones by Chronata.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 89

Cerulean

The Button Box oracle...

...people like decorative buttons.

Or findings in bead shops...the decorative beads, glass or plastic...just pretty...

Sort squares of material and depending on your feel, you will be attracted to a specific color? Less expensive than gems...

I've some small stones, haven't done much...but I was thinking color can be used as an 'oracular' mood-indicator.

If you can find an old button box with fancy cast-off buttons...or you have collected ones from old things, before the thing became a rag...the simple motifs could work, as well.

http://members.aol.com/LL2Starks/

Or as Danube and Elven and Chronata are doing, craft things from modeling fimo or scupey clay as your own oracle bits...

What a fun thread!

Cerulean

Liralen

miss_yuko said:
Great...i'll can start another thread, what do you think? Then people interested in it can also join us while we try to find a way to use these cards for divination.

What do you think?

~Yuko

Sounds like a good idea to me. The more people, the more ideas.

I've looked through some of the threads on ESP-cards, but haven't found anything about using them as an oracle.