Hold On - You asked the cards WHAT?!

Rogan

Okay... Let me open by saying - Im not starting this thread so it can turn into a flame war... Nor am I aiming at deliberately insulting any member of aeclectic tarot...

But Im a little confused (albeit, a little surprised/shocked) at some of the subjects that I read about in the these threads...

Ive been practicing Tarot for a while now, and obviously connect deeply with it - I respect the art and the use of Tarot for guidance and insight...

But I am constantly amazed at some of the things I read here...

For example:
"I asked the cards if I should crate my puppy..." ...???... as well as other things Ive stumbled across - questions such as "I asked the cards if I should by that dress..." or "when should I get my ear pierced"...

Okay... so maybe Im exageratting - But can others see what I mean?
Inane, every day things suddenly become subjects for Tarot - What happened to people just making decisions?

I understand that Tarot plays a large role for a lot here at Aeclectic Tarot - But to be honest, sometimes I worry about the "live by tarot, die by tarot" attitude that I think I notice here sometimes...

Don't you think it can become a little obsessive when you can't do something as simple as ordering a pizza without consulting the cards first?

Yes, Tarot is a tool of divination, and it can provide amazing things for you to reflect on... But when does it become too much?

Because doing so leads to other problems - People then get confused, as we've seen in the forums here too... "What does the reversed magician mean in regards to me crating my puppy?" "I drew the three of swords, should I join that gym?" - It gets hard to relate the cards to questions that people should be able to answer without them, don't you think...

Any thoughts on this are welcome - Im very interested to see what others think...

And remember - Please don't think Im doing this to point fingers, or to belittle, or to make fun of - Because Im not - I totally respect any personal choice others make about their Tarot habits...

Im just a little confused about the die-hard attitude some people appear to have...

What do you think?

Grigori

Rogan said:
For example:
"I asked the cards if I should crate my puppy..." ...???...

hahaha Well I'm hoping to get a puppy anyday now. I decided to crate it with no assistance from the tarot (I asked a book on the breed and what is generally best for them, though if there was a good doggy tarot maybe I would have asked it... :D) but I did ask tarot a few other questions, particularly about the breeder and the parents of the dog. So I guess I fit into the silly questioner category :D

I also did a reading when I joined a gym to check out the possible advatages of one trainer over another and to see who would better suit me and motivate me.

Maybe they seem silly questions. To me they were both investments of a lot of money in something that will be with me for many years to come and I wanted to get right. They didn't feel silly to me at all.

I don't think it ever hurts to get an impartial second opinion, not matter how big or small the question. Of course what you do with that second opinion is a whole other ball game. I don't think I've ever made a decision blindly because the "tarot-told-me-so". I've made a couple decisions that I struggled with with some help from the tarot though. Big and small. I can however leave my deck at home and still choose something from the menu :D

I feel OK with myself. My tarot deck has a sense of humor and likes being asked questions :D Besides if my deck can't work out what to eat for dinner, why would I trust it with something really important? ;)

arachnophobia

Rogan said:
Okay... Let me open by saying - Im not starting this thread so it can turn into a flame war... Nor am I aiming at deliberately insulting any member of aeclectic tarot...

But Im a little confused (albeit, a little surprised/shocked) at some of the subjects that I read about in the these threads...

Ive been practicing Tarot for a while now, and obviously connect deeply with it - I respect the art and the use of Tarot for guidance and insight...

But I am constantly amazed at some of the things I read here...

For example:
"I asked the cards if I should crate my puppy..." ...???... as well as other things Ive stumbled across - questions such as "I asked the cards if I should by that dress..." or "when should I get my ear pierced"...

Okay... so maybe Im exageratting - But can others see what I mean?
Inane, every day things suddenly become subjects for Tarot - What happened to people just making decisions?

I understand that Tarot plays a large role for a lot here at Aeclectic Tarot - But to be honest, sometimes I worry about the "live by tarot, die by tarot" attitude that I think I notice here sometimes...

Don't you think it can become a little obsessive when you can't do something as simple as ordering a pizza without consulting the cards first?

Yes, Tarot is a tool of divination, and it can provide amazing things for you to reflect on... But when does it become too much?

Because doing so leads to other problems - People then get confused, as we've seen in the forums here too... "What does the reversed magician mean in regards to me crating my puppy?" "I drew the three of swords, should I join that gym?" - It gets hard to relate the cards to questions that people should be able to answer without them, don't you think...

Any thoughts on this are welcome - Im very interested to see what others think...

And remember - Please don't think Im doing this to point fingers, or to belittle, or to make fun of - Because Im not - I totally respect any personal choice others make about their Tarot habits...

Im just a little confused about the die-hard attitude some people appear to have...

What do you think?

True; on the whole, I agree entirely on the dangers of totally trivialising the Tarot, Rogan. On the other hand, one can also have a little fun (as on Tarot Doug's blog, "Adventures in Tarot", www.tarotdoug.blogspot.com, I think) choosing one's dinner menu by the Tarot, i.e. "the Wheel of Fortune may = a pizza"; and my personal favorite, King of Cups = seafood, with a crisp white wine! lol

star-lover

PMSL at ordering pizza after drawing wheel of fortune

Rogan

I understand that people see fun in it...

Which then opens a whole other can of worms - Do those who take tarot as seriously as I do find it a little... I dunno... Insulting? Sure, it's a free world and people are free to do as they please...

What do others think?

Again... I don't wanna sound harsh... I know it sounds harsh, I don't mean it to...

a_shikhs

Lol.. I totally agree with you Rogan..

Rogan said:

Ive had my friends asking me such stupid questions.. I just look at them and wonder, "How lame can they get.. " ;) Its really annoying answering such lame questions..

According to me, tarot is to be consulted only for spiritual growth and when you have a serious problem and want advice as to how to find a suitable situation for that problem..

I feel that by asking silly questions, you are dis-respecting tarot and playing with it. It is a serious divination tool and not a toy..

Ive stopped doing readings for a few friends because they have the world's silliest and the most stupid problems which i prefer to ignore.. :)

Jewel-ry

I understand what you are saying Rogan but what I would say is that for many, especially those who don't read tarot for others, they use those type of questions just for practise...to enable them to get experience in using the cards.

I remember when I first joined AT I began a thread on how to get practise and I had various answers not least of all (and one that always sticks in my mind) someone advised me to bring the cards into my everyday life and ask the cards all sorts of very trivial questions including 'which flavour juice I should drink'. It was fun to do and helped to get used to the cards. Its not trivialising at all. There is a time and place for everything.

I don't think its as simple as a 'live by tarot, die by tarot' attitude. I ask all sorts of questions but trust me, I am a very independent person and rarely trust the tarot to make ANY decisions for me and when I have to get serious, I can.

:)

Rogan

Also - Don't get me wrong - I don't want to call them "silly" questions, "stupid" questions....

I just figure there are questions out there that you can easily answer on a day to day basis without the cards even coming into your head as an option...

skinofthesoul

my two cents

Hello there,

well, I think some of the questions you can answer for yourself can be, as has been said, good practising questions for exactly that reason. Personally, I'd say it all depends on the way you ask much more than on the question itself. Let's assume I am respectful but also new to tarot, I have this wonderful deck which I put in a special box and take great care of. And I want to get to know the cards not only from what other people have written in books, so what is my approach? Right, I shuffle them often and look at them and play with them and ask them questions, all sorts of questions, because I want to learn all sorts of things. But I ask respectfully, see? Whereas, if a friend, on hearing about my new passion, said "hey cool, what do your cards say I should have for dinner, then?" I would most certainly feel offended, even if I'd asked a similar question myself. (By the way I'd probably phrase that question "what do I feel like having for dinner", if ever I asked it. And on some days I might really not know what I feel like.)

Well, do you all see this difference or do you think it's the same thing? I wonder. But as you said, Rogan, other people might always feel and think differently, and to my astonishment some people always WILL do so. So there's no point being offended by that, really. Still, it's interesting to learn about it.

Anna~

Rogan

Okay - In regards to learning/practice, then - I think asking such questions can make things harder though... And this has been the topic of many a thread here at Aeclecting - Suddenly having to work out with the out what Justice reversed means about your new puppy, or what the 5 of pentacles has to say about the new car you're picking up tomorrow...

I think it's a lot harder to "relate" tarot to these subjects, as opposed to issues, or a specific question about your journey/path in life...

Interesting comments...