MerryDay Tarot Book - your opinions?

avalonian

I already had the deck but recently purchased the set (deck and book) as it was better value and it then sort of works out cheaper (I can talk myself into anything if I try hard enough!). Now that I have the book I haven't regretted the purchase for a moment, it's excellent and gives a real insight into the deck (the numerology bit at the beginning is fascinating), and I'm now no longer worried about using the deck as I have a spare.

WolfSpirit

I think I can talk myself into getting an extra copy of the deck too, lol.
I trimmed the deck I have (off with those big black borders) and I don't regret it, it looks nice and I quite like to have a small deck, but as is often when I trim the borders off - I don't regret the trimming, but I would still love a copy with the borders intact as well !
So I will probably get myself the book+deck deal as well.

thorhammer

avalonian said:
I already had the deck but recently purchased the set (deck and book) as it was better value and it then sort of works out cheaper (I can talk myself into anything if I try hard enough!). Now that I have the book I haven't regretted the purchase for a moment, it's excellent and gives a real insight into the deck (the numerology bit at the beginning is fascinating), and I'm now no longer worried about using the deck as I have a spare.
avalonian, this is exactly how I felt when I got it! I got the second copy of the deck too . . . for the same reason . . . and haven't opened that one yet. The deck does indeed wear badly, but I think part of that is the impression of age and antiquity given by the black and white backs.

But on topic. The book is wonderful. I've skimmed the Numerology section, but it's something that will never permeate my brain and so I'll have to have that one to hand if I want to use numbers in readings with this deck. But the section that has all the cross-referenced symbols is just fantastic!!! I wish every deck had this! It brings out the links between cards, it makes me notice things that I wouldn't have otherwise, and also it's taught me about symbols that I didn't know about before. I had been so curious about the many and varied symbols scattered throughout the artwork, and it frustrated me that I had no idea what some of them were (the alchemical ones especially escaped me). But now I have so much more depth to work with in this deck.

The book is huge, people. It's printed on A4 paper, not usual book size, and, yes, it's 151 pages. Trust me, it's more than you'll want, and when you get the book, you'll look at it, thinking, "How am I ever going to read this???" It's worth it.

\m/ Kat

Pook

I fell in love with this deck a long while ago and had to have it. Then I realized that I really wanted the book, adn cant find it anywhere except the authors website. I too have been hesiataing, so if someone gets one and they have an opinion, I'd like to hear it too.

Kissa

thorhammer said:
The book is wonderful. I've skimmed the Numerology section, but it's something that will never permeate my brain and so I'll have to have that one to hand if I want to use numbers in readings with this deck. But the section that has all the cross-referenced symbols is just fantastic!!! I wish every deck had this! It brings out the links between cards, it makes me notice things that I wouldn't have otherwise, and also it's taught me about symbols that I didn't know about before. I had been so curious about the many and varied symbols scattered throughout the artwork, and it frustrated me that I had no idea what some of them were (the alchemical ones especially escaped me). But now I have so much more depth to work with in this deck.

The book is huge, people. It's printed on A4 paper, not usual book size, and, yes, it's 151 pages. Trust me, it's more than you'll want, and when you get the book, you'll look at it, thinking, "How am I ever going to read this???" It's worth it.

I guess this answers my questions about the MerryDay book LOL

The link provided by Lee to Diane Wilkes review (Tarot Passages) is also worth reading.

Ok, I officially NEED ;-) this book :)

Michelina57

merryday book update

Greetings all... just checked with Amazon.com and while the shipping is still about $3.00 US, copies run from about $150.00 to $175.00 used! Wow! Guess I'll keep playing with my deck for a while and add it to my ever growing wishlist!

faunabay

Michelina57 said:
Greetings all... just checked with Amazon.com and while the shipping is still about $3.00 US, copies run from about $150.00 to $175.00 used! Wow! Guess I'll keep playing with my deck for a while and add it to my ever growing wishlist!
Don't buy anything MerryDay from amazom!!! You can get the decks on ebay now and again for around $30-$35. And Dark Star Philosophies.....I think it's that anyway...it's Dark Star something. LOL They have both the deck and book at regular prices.

Silver Crow

I would love to get my hands on a copy of this book if anyone in the US has one for sale or trade.