Planets-In-Aspect Series: Mars

dadsnook2000

For huredriel

In the very early 1900's Witte of Germany, and later Rienhold Ebertin, also of Germany, researched and studied "equal arcs" between planets. This concept had been done before, as I remember, by an Italian astrologer of the 1500's or 1600's name Bonitti or something like that. The idea is that any planet which is at a middle-point equidistant between any other two planets is significant.

This "significance" is interpreted as the middle planet directing or focusing in its own way the combined meaning of the other two planets. Lets look at your Mars at 08-52 Leo (rounded off). The distance to your Moon at 03-37 Cancer is 35-15 degrees/minutes. The distance from Mars to your Venus at 13-01 Virgo is 34-41 degrees. Comparing and dividing these distances, we find that Mars is within 0-17 degrees/minutes of being at the exact mid-point. When using mid-points we generally consider them if they are within one degree of orb.

The German astrologers found that not only is the conjunction and the opposition significant, but any aspect that is a multiple of 45 degrees is very important. The 45 degree based aspects relate very strongly to "events".

Now, lets take mid-point theory a little deeper! Your Mars is about 1 degree from the mid-point of Saturn and Neptune. This interpretation is not so good in terms of its more common meanings. Using my definition above, lets construct a meaning. Saturn is limitations, inhibitions, cautiousness, planning and conservatism. Neptune is illusion, socialness, self-deception, visionary ideas. Together they might suggest depression, melancholy, confusion, lack of expression due to fear or mis-understanding -- but this could also suggest undertanding how to use visions to construct strategies, how to bring something substantive to a concept, etc. Make Mars the force for expression of these meanings and we might get a range of concepts -- creative energy to lead an artistic team, anger when confused by someone deceitful, caution about expressing one's dreams, etc.

I have found in my research that "equal arcs" can relate pairs of planets having the same arc between them without having a planet at the mid-point. Since any double pair of planets having the same arc between the planets within a pair also has -- by mathematical definition -- a common mid-point, the transit of that mid-point by any of the planets in those pairs will activate the whole planetary structure. This is something that is not recognized by any book-authors.

Using "equal arcs" I will give you something special to find in your chart! Take the distance between your ASC and your MC and extend that arc/distance from the MC towards your Descendant angle area. Wherever this point is, this will symbolically represent where people can walk into your life and mess around with you. This is a secret back door into any chart. Your arc is 78 degrees between the ASC and MC. From the MC, 78 degrees moves us to a point at 26 Taurus. Fortunately, you do not have anything there. But, your Neptune is at the opposite point in your chart to this special angle. When a planet transits 26 Taurus, whoever represents for you this planet can enter into your experience and you will react in a Neptunian way -- be decieved, be inspired, be supportive, etc. Keep this in mind.

Dave.

star-lover

my mars on cusp of 9/10 house some snippets

mars at 2-59 cancer square sun in libra 3-58 - very impatient, moody and irritable, often very frustrated but ambitious and driven, always got several projects on the go but don't always finish them

mars sextile pluto at 6-51 virgo - resourceful and very good at getting what i want when i want it lol - inner reserves always there somehow when in a crises - a kind of survivor aspect this i find

mars trine (out of sign) to venus at 29-51 libra - socially confident, flirty, been told i have lots of sex appeal, warm and fun with people, like a good time

mars trine neptune in scorpio 7 -38 in 3rd house - not too sure about this one - acting and films appeal to me, escaping, though not good for being an assertive person, very vivid imagination, not very down to earth

re midpoints i find all this very interesting but havent looked into my own ones
if anyone wants a quick way to calculate them here's a link (i used this for some synastry work but not natal work)

http://www.noendpress.com/pvachier/midpoints/index.php

dadsnook2000

For star-lover

You have defined your Mars aspects nicely in terms of thier basic meanings and how you experience them. Thank you. Mid-points are quite fascinating for many because they are so "event" oriented. Many believe that they are the best predictive tool in common use. I use them with Solar Arc Progressions as well as in Natal charts but I like precession-corrected Solar Returns and progressed-daily Solar Returns for predictive work. Everyone develops their favoriate set of tools. Dave

The_Star

Mars square Pluto....

Mars square Pluto is a perpetual dance with death.... ending in death.

The reality (opinion) is NOT Mars square Pluto but, rather, PLUTO SQUARE MARS!
Pluto square Mars produces regeneration of the inverted and 'self infatuated' Mars energy and gradually re-aligns the dynamic Mars energy to embrace life affirming activity.
Mars square Pluto is a gradually exhausting enterprise that Mars cannot possibly win.
Consider The World Card ..... no Mars energy is present... it represents success and enjoyment.. not a battle.... but, rather, an effortless enjoyment that results from the death of the Mars driven ego that was perpetually struggling against the natural flow of life.

Examples:
Mars square Pluto - the child disobeys his/her mother and runs out into the street into traffic.

Pluto square Mars - The child's mother installs a fence to keep the child from running out into traffic.

In astrology 'squares' represent deep issues embedded in the subconscious. "Oppositions' are apparent, squares contain deeply veiled and psychologically uncomfortable contexts.

Head wounds are messages that the Mars energetic is in need of alignment to higher truths.

squeakmo9

I have mars in libra 16 retro in 2nd house. As far as I can tell it makes an opposition to Saturn (7 degrees) in the 8th Aries which makes me think that this may have something to do with a flux in my energy level. Sometimes I'm full of energy and at other times completely depleted. Problems with taking the initiative, prefer not to. With mars in libra, i tend to be diplomatic only because I hate confrontation. Then I see I have a sextile to my ASC, who knew? Just saw this now, maybe this gives some added energy and spirit to my Leo ASC 14 degrees. Can you tell that I'm not overly impressed with my mars, I feel like it really hasn't done much for me. big whoop.

The_Star

Mars....

squeakmo9 said:
I have mars in libra 16 retro in 2nd house. As far as I can tell it makes an opposition to Saturn (7 degrees) in the 8th Aries which makes me think that this may have something to do with a flux in my energy level. Sometimes I'm full of energy and at other times completely depleted. Problems with taking the initiative, prefer not to. With mars in libra, i tend to be diplomatic only because I hate confrontation. Then I see I have a sextile to my ASC, who knew? Just saw this now, maybe this gives some added energy and spirit to my Leo ASC 14 degrees. Can you tell that I'm not overly impressed with my mars, I feel like it really hasn't done much for me. big whoop.

You Mars 'problem' (opinion) is archetypal..... Mars in the second house seeks, works, collects and maintains material things (2nd house 'stuff'). Saturn in the 8th house (opposing Mars) will teach you how to 'manifest' (create - see also, The Magician) instead of remaining a 'slave' to materiality (survival issues).
The avoidance of conflict that you mention is quite notable!
Mars is a BIG problem unless it is in dynamic service to higher principles.
Avoidance of conflict is one of those principles. Perhaps you may consider updating your 'reason' for not engaging yourself in those possible conflicts!

dadsnook2000

For squeakmo9

I had noted earlier a simple mental reminder: Mars = Go, Saturn = Stop. This doesn't begin to address the whole range of symbolic expression but it isn't a bad place to start. Now, put Mars and Saturn in cadent houses where stability and maintenance are key words, place active Mars in non-violent Libra and stodgy Saturn in agressive Aries and you have two mis-placed cats eying each other without knowing how to fight it out.

I can see why your Mars "don't get no respect" to quote a famous comedian. But, place some of the blame on Saturn, too. I don't want to give you a hard time (I'm probably lying) but did you ever read that book, "You were born on a rotten day?" Just kidding. Every chart has lots of good stuff in it. You just have to work a little harder to spot it and to use it. You have a nice grouping of Sun, Moon, Mercury near your MC -- how do you use this pattern? Dave

isthmus nekoi

The_Star said:
Mars square Pluto is a perpetual dance with death.... ending in death.

The reality (opinion) is NOT Mars square Pluto but, rather, PLUTO SQUARE MARS!
Pluto square Mars produces regeneration of the inverted and 'self infatuated' Mars energy and gradually re-aligns the dynamic Mars energy to embrace life affirming activity.
Mars square Pluto is a gradually exhausting enterprise that Mars cannot possibly win.

That's rather dire, I can't say that I identify with that interpretation. But perhaps this is b/c my Mars is angular and the square has a wide orb. I personally find the opposite manifestation - that the square is very energizing. Like an inexaustible supply of strength. I do believe if you try to channel all that force into selfish needs, you are going to end up screwing yourself over - perhaps that's what you meant?

Can you offer any elaboration on the trine to Saturn and Jupiter or is this somewhat overshadowed or blended in with the Mars and Pluto stuff?

Sure. I think Saturn's influence is very evident in terms of impulse control. Mars square Pluto, sextile Uran to me signifies the potential for very strong impulses, little sign of controlling them. This is not to be mistaken with a more benign, creative "spontenaity". Having difficulties controlling impulses is strongly linked to susceptibility to a variety of behavioural and mental disorders. So I think Saturn's tempering force in the form of a stable trine is very beneficial to my Mars combo. It's integral to the interpretation - take Saturn out of my chart and I would probably be a very different, more violent or promiscuous and generally socially irresponsible person. Can you imagine the same placement, same aspects, but replace the Saturn trine with Neptune? Yikes.

As for Jupiter, I don't notice it as much (probably b/c it's "easy") and would have to say coupled with the triple Sag placement in my chart, it grants an overall lust for life, desire to explore which is then carried out through actions (Mars) etc.

Mars-Pluto themes may have seemed more evident b/c they match the lunar phase of my chart - balsamic e.g. continual shedding of skins, self realization through self destruction etc.

paradoxx

My Mars is ina wide trine to my jupiter and saturn (7 degrees, 10 gemini for mars and 1 and 3 in libra). Jupiter and Saturn in turn trine my moon at 4 aquarius.

I have noticed that my initial energy, my starting point (mars) is off center in my life, that it makes me hesitiate and redefine my points (libra) into the situation i am in so i can develop and prosper (Saturn+Jupiter) hopefully in an original way to my sometimes (but not always) senstive liking (moon aquarius). The initial energy may or may not get the job done, but wtih mars in gemini, therei splenty of energy to spare, as long as that is realized, i can get along.

The_Star

Saturn...

dadsnook2000 said:
I had noted earlier a simple mental reminder: Mars = Go, Saturn = Stop.

Saturn represents 'limitation'. It (Saturn) can be either pleasant or not. For instance,educational institutions are Saturnian... they teach you (like Saturn) and limit you by causing you to focus upon temporarily limited subject matter.
(e.g. I want to go to a party but I have a paper that I need to complete). Saturn often directs the 'go energetic' of Mars by focusing the path.