Tarot Tells the Tale: Exploring Three Card Readings....

tmgrl2

.....Through Familiar Stories

What a charming book!!

Umbrae mentioned it some time back....I was able to get a "used" copy from Amazon.com....actually, the book was new...

I was going to write a mini-review in this thread, but I looked it up in our Tarot Media list first...and see that Solandia has given the Amazon.com link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0738702722/ref=nosim/002-9718200-4942464?n=283155

....which has some reviews well worth reading.....

So...I won't repeat what the reviews say....but one aspect that I am especially enjoying is the section with the three-card readings for fictional or non-living characters or people.

I look at the question. I look at the three-card spread. I do my own reading and then I read James Ricklef's reading....what fun!! In many cases so far, my take on the reading is pretty close to his...althouh for Cinderella's reading,

I thought that the Queen of Cups referred to her stepmother (Card One: The condition of your love life right now). A strong, emotional woman who was holding Cinderella back from achieving love.

The book is worth it alone to gather in the three-card spreads and to play with the three-card readings. There is also a wonderful opening overview that is excellent for beginners...and also for anyone who is more traveled along the Tarot Trail...since I feel Ricklef attempts to be more inclusive with his positions on various aspects of a reading....he does use reversals.

He leaves room for people to feel good about their own personal reading styles...but clearly emphasizes the process of reading within a context of a question, a spread and the cards and their positions.

I also valued his section on "ethics." Much of it won't be new, but I do like some of his statements:

Ricklef
My goal as a Tarot reader is to help my clients take responsibility for their own decisions and actions, and act according to their own conscience for the greater good of all concerned.

Again, much more in this book of 260+ pages....

terri

Sulis

It's an excellent book - it's seldom on the bookshelf.

His other book - 'Tarot get the whole story' is also a good read - not nearly as good as this one though.

Sentient

I too liked this book. I found Ricklef's take on things refreshing, and his approach to reversals modern and useful.

I think there is a lot to be gained by doing exactly what you did - reading through each story and determining your own interpretation before looking at his. I could tell that the cards pulled were "as they lay" and not contrived.

One small difficulty - the figures read for were not always well known, so one may have to do a little research to become familiar with the details of their lives. Other than that, a top notch book addressing a clear gap in tarot literature.

tmgrl2

I agree, Sulis....it's one book that I have received in the past year that I actually want to read cover to cover....

The summary on numbers and suits is concise, but good.

Sentient said:
I think there is a lot to be gained by doing exactly what you did - reading through each story and determining your own interpretation before looking at his. I could tell that the cards pulled were "as the lay" and not contrived.
He made a point, too, Sentient of saying that he read the cards he drew even though he had some difficulty with the cards drawn. In his section on ethics, he talks about "drawing" in the querent for cards that are difficult to read...so here we have the process again. And he, at times, says..."I'm having some difficulty reading this card."

Sentient said:
One small difficulty - the figures read for were not always well known, so one may have to do a little research to become familiar with the details of their lives. Other than that, a top notch book addressing a clear gap in tarot literature.

When I did a quick skim through the book, I felt the same thing!! Then, when I got to the cards, and did my own reading first....it made it even more interesting since I didn't know that much about the figure he selected.

I knew a little about Gertrude Stein....but still did my own reading. He encourages these kinds of "exercises" and gives liberal credit to Mary Greer as well....Certainly she is more prolific and her works are more in-depth depending upon the book. So I liked it that he did that.

I an only half way through the readings...I have read sections from all over the book, but am now half-way through on a full read.

I have only been reading and studying the Tarot for a little more than two years....oddly enough, I began journaling when I first started, and I printed out volumes of material from AT and various Internet sites. The more I journaled and studied, the more I felt I had WAY too much material.

Now, I got a new journal (for points at the TarotGarden.com...a lovely book with TdM figures on the cover and blank pages).

I intend to take the "core" material I have saved, on numerology, suits, card meanings, spreads...and journal these. I know I will be adding material from Ricklef's book as well.

terri

mythos

Because my focus is on painting tarot rather than reading, I have been reluctant to add this book to my list ... in spite of the Umb's recommendation - which usually means that I rush out and buy immediately - have greatest respect for the man - but having read the posts here, I am now sure that it would actually contribute to my painting quest as well. Tarot is tarot ... reading, tales, painting ... off to add it to my list (or at least - remove the question marks next to it, on my list:)

mythos:)

tmgrl2

mythos...I was able to buy the book used for a much lower price at Amazon.com...although it was "new" when I got it.

It does read well.....

terri

mythos

Thanks Terri ... I'll go check out Amazon, which seduces me into buying sooooooooooooo many books already :laugh:. I always buy them second hand, and yet most appear to be absolutely new.

hugs
mythos:)