Animal Messages

napaea

Opossum is one of my totem animals.
For years I couldn't really relate to opossum like i could the other animals (raven, crow...) and i didn't really feel the energy connect to me.
I read it was supposed to be about using your sense of drama to benefit yourself and circumstances. To basically show a false face to your enemies so they had no ammunition on you. None of this really helped me.

then i something central about the opossum hit me - he stands so still when he has to. he plays dead. one day this hit me, he is zen. to use possum energy, i have to stop in my tracks at times, and let the world unfold around me. i have to stop trying to work out my agenda, and sort of become the "nothingness" buddhism talks about. become one with surroundings around me, chill out.
now i really love opossum energy, where before i was so confused. i see it as my signal to become "wu wei", go with the flow.

on another note, i ended up being a Wyrm on the British animal totem thing!

Worm - The humble worm symbolized for ancient Britons the power of the dragon - 'wyrm' being the name for both worm and dragon. The particular gift of the wyrm in worm form is to bring the power of the dragon into 'ordinary reality,' and by doing so to keep the earth alive and healthy. And if you have ever hunted worms at night you will know that when mature they are prodigious quarry and full of strength and determination.

You are quite probably already a friend of the worm - very likely a gardener. If not, you should find a patch of land to cultivate. The worm will remind you that humbleness is paramount within nature, and that the smallest pebble can make the greatest ripple.

jade

my cats brought in a bat today. my hubby saved it from them and put it into a box to let it recover. it was sooo tiny :D i've never had the pleasure of seeing one before, IRL and i've been asking the goddess to let me see one when we sit outside at night. everyone else sees them flying by and i never do :( so she brought me one in the house!

dave opened the box and lifted the little bat out. he began to fly around the room and landed on my nightdress. wow, what a honor that was. we opened the screen door and let him go, fully recovered and ready to sleep!

i'm in awe of this beautiful experience.

bat energy is: rebirth

a time of letting go of old habits and of assuming the position in life that prepares you for rebirth, or in some cases initiation. bat signals rebirth of some part of yourself or the death of old patterns.

wow, this is very timely. today is the last day of my relaxed life and tomorrow i begin homeschooling again. also there are many other deeper meanings as well but very interesting that today was the day.

i had a reading by diana for my birthday and she spoke of this also. letting go and rebirth.

i will be meditating on this alot.

love
jade

zorya

what a cool experience jade!
we have lots of bats around here. i see them everynight. i am always so grateful to have them because the eat the mosquitos. lol. because of that, to me they also symbolize protection from those that would 'take' from you. but, i don't believe i've ever read that they symbolize that anywhere.

truthsayer

true, bats eat insects and help us out but after you wake up in the middle of the night a few times w/ one circling over your bed, YEEEEEECCCCCCHHHH! jade, i'm glad you felt honored by the bats presence. they didn't bother me either at one time. for some reason, the town we live in has an abundance of bats. it's almost impossible to keep them from living in the chimney and creeping into your house. when i used to wake w/ a bat circling my bed, i couldn't help but think about all those old vampire stories of vampires turning into bats. then there was the night, i found a nest of baby bats on the floor of the closed in back porch. i had vertigo at the time and couldn't walk a straight line so i had to call someone to help get them out. since then i've become nearly phobic of bats. thanks but if i want a totem animal for rebirth i'll choose something nicer like a snake! snakes don't bother me even though they used to get in the house all the time when i was growing up. as far as i know snakes don't fly around your bed or carry get rabies. i didn't know this until recently but our health dept encourages ppl who've been exposed closely to bats to get the rabies shots series. my aunt and her kids had to get them even tho they were only indirectly exposed. i don't know if there is a rabies epidemic where you live like there is here but it's something to think about.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<SHUDDER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> truth rubs her neck trying to get the feeling of bats crawling on her out of her mind!!!!!!

jade

i am just thrilled and tickled to have bats around. we are even building a bat house for them so they roost in our yard!

heehee, i'll send you a ring of garlic truth!

love
jade

truthsayer

thanks! i may need it, jade! what about enough garlic to cover the whole house? ;)

a bat house, huh? instead of a bathouse or pigeon house? now i've heard everything! LOL btw they love the smells from textile mills so if you put out some real cotten you may draw them. also old wood and old bricks. they like dark and dank. at least i can turn my negative experiences w/ them into something positive for you. good luck jade, resident batwoman!

jade

oooh i love the sound of that!

i used to have a bat totem animal that i borrowed from a friend.......and it would squeal during the night if i needed to wake up because of danger.

:D i loved that spirit bat.

love
jade

lunalafey

squirmy wormy

napaea said:

i ended up being a Wyrm on the British animal totem thing!

Worm - The humble worm symbolized for ancient Britons the power of the dragon - 'wyrm' being the name for both worm and dragon. The particular gift of the wyrm in worm form is to bring the power of the dragon into 'ordinary reality,' and by doing so to keep the earth alive and healthy. And if you have ever hunted worms at night you will know that when mature they are prodigious quarry and full of strength and determination.

This is really interesting info. Everyone unknowingly would call my daughter a wiggle worm, right from the get go. And me, into my dragons so much.

ChrisTheObscure

I had an encounter with two very large owls the night I met my last significant other...I was driving home in the country and they were just there, in the middle of the road...two white owls with black or grey specks. I had to stop the car because they wouldn't move. As soon as I stopped, one of them cried out and flew away, and I remember feeling very sad.

I know next to nothing of animal symbolism, but I believe in retrospect that it was a warning, perhaps, that my lover would also fly away. And that he did, last weekend.

jade

owl medicine is:

deception. owl's flight is silent, you may not see him coming. (or going)

owl medicine is symbolically associated with clairvoyance, astral proj. and magic, both black and white.

owl also symbolize wisdom, because they can see what so many others cannot! where others may be deceived, owl knows and see what is truly there and that is the sign of wisdom!

i offer hugs to you during this time of loss. {{{hugs}}}

love and light,
jade