Ocean Oracle Study: Behavior Group #'s 22; 26; 36; 44; 48

Satori

44. Black-Lipped Pearl Oyster
Meaning: “Looking for the gift connected to the situation; beauty from irritation.”

shell oracle said:
So let me share a bit more about pearls. The animals who make shells are called mollusks. The name "mollusk" is from the Latin word for soft. That is what these animals are....very soft creatures with no internal skeletons. The shell serves as an external source of structure and support. Because their bodies are so tender, the internal lining of all shells is extremely smooth. In oysters, the material that lines the shell is called nacre.

If an irritant is introduced such as a grain of sand, the oyster immediately wraps it in nacre to smooth the edges of the sand so it doesn't damage its body. This produces a pearl. Mikimoto in Japan used this knowledge to produce cultured pearls...deliberately introducing irritants of chosen shapes which the oyster surrounded with nacre forming man-made pearls.

Based upon this process, the saying arose "from an irritation comes a pearl" It is all about seeing the gift in the situation. That original irritant can bring a gift to your life if you stay open to allowing that to occur.

Satori

36. Chambered Nautilus

36. Chambered Nautilus
Meaning: “Something of the past returning as part of a pattern: Mistakenly thinking the door is closed on a past event.”

shell oracle said:
The basic divination premise of the Chambered Nautilus is about patterns in our lives. Nautilus means something from the past that you tried to leave behind you appears again as part of a pattern. In relationships, you may notice that the faces change, but the emotions experienced are the same. You find yourself asking, "How did I end up here again?" The reason this happens is because the original source of the emotion still resides inside you. It never healed because you chose to close the door and walk away from it. To get your attention, since it has not healed, it is one-upped in the pattern (just as the Nautilus grows larger and larger chambers) until it is so in your face that you can't just turn away from it. When Nautilus appears, it is an opportunity to heal not only the present situation, but also all the ones that came before. If you look at the inside of the shell, it looks like the chambers are sealed off from each other. However, there is a tiny notch in each septum through which the animal sends a tube called a siphuncle. In this manner, all the chambers are connected. The nautilus fills the back chambers with water to make it sink in the ocean, and sends pressurized gas through the siphuncle to expel the water to make it rise. By altering the volume of gas and water it controls its buoyancy. (The principle of the submarine.)

Since all the chambers are actually connected, the Nautilus teaches that when you are reacting to the current situation, you are not just reacting to the current situation, you are reacting to all the other times you closed the door and walked away. This is why you may actually over-react to the current circumstances….they are triggering the rest that lie buried. My thought is that the pattern is designed to eventually allow you to confront and heal the original event. In Nautilus terms, it is providing buoyancy and assisting the event to "rise" in your awareness. Nautilus is in your life to allow for discovering the first, tiny central chamber from which all the others grew. Healing dissolves the need for future chambers. Then, you no longer have to attract that pattern into your life.

When you stated that you now viewed your experiences with irritating people as helping each other with the lesson of love, I think you have healed your pattern !!!!

Since Ocean Oracle, Nautilus has taught me more. In the next book, I explain why I believe it is the shell connected to ascension. Nautilus is about a pattern, which traces back allowing for the discovery of the original chamber. Here is my theory: Besides leaving behind all the pain of the situation each time you close the door, you also have stored with it the gifts you have been given to heal the situation. My thought is that the moment you are confronted with a situation that requires healing, you are also given the gifts to work with to accomplish the healing. If you close the door on the situation, you also leave your gift locked away. So Nautilus is giving you the opportunity to reclaim the gifts as you heal the pattern.

Nautilus fossils date back over 300 million years ago, and their living relatives can still be found today...essentially the same animals just smaller in size due to competition. At one time, they had no competition and ruled the seas.

It is also worth noting that the pattern in which the animals grow their shell is in accordance with the sacred geometry of fibonacci numbers, sometimes called the Golden Section. One of my books says "Perhaps more than any other shell the nautilus's beauty goes beyond that of a beautiful bauble; it is a reminder of the order in the universe." I also read that fibonacci numbers, along with Chambered Nautilus, Orion's belt and master numbers (such as seeing 444, or 1111 or 2222 etc.) are some of the methods our soul contracted for each of us according to our own sequence to trigger our awakening in our DNA.

This leads me to speculate... If you will allow some free association...
I can't help but notice that the Nautilus rises by using pressurized gas. If the Nautilus' rising comes from using pressure to expel the water, maybe we are drawn to Nautilus in pressure-filled situations. This expels water (which is emotion) because we can't turn away from the pattern anymore. This is a gift from Nautilus. The pressure forces us to confront the pattern that we had avoided until now. It was impacting our lives anyway, that is why we repeated the pattern. By forcing a confrontation with our emotions, we are given the opportunity to heal, and to retrieve our gifts.

Maybe the final obvious chamber that is in our face will allow us to connect to the ones we have closed the door on long ago, and allow the source of our original ancient gifts to arise. Nautilus is offering a healing and awakening of the gifts we have hidden in our core. Maybe our buried gifts float up to our awareness. Maybe this will connect us to our own essence...our sacred geometry. That should be valuable in the ascension process.

Satori

22. King Helmut/Helmut Conch

Meaning: “An ally; A champion (on your behalf).”

shell oracle said:
20 years ago, when I first began shell reading, it was due to a comment from someone who saw my shell collection. He mentioned he had heard of a shell reader. It was as if fireworks exploded inside me. I had never heard of such a thing …but I felt an immediate desire to go for a reading. I was extremely shy, but I called this person for days trying to obtain the contact information for the reader. When his attempts to get me the information proved futile, in a desire to salvage something from this, he suggested I use my own shells. Having never thought about this, but having studied them all my life, my reply was to say “but everyone will know that Cone shells are deadly, and tusks have no heart, and Tiger Cowries connect with faith, etc. naming about 6 shells and what they meant. I honestly believed that this was common knowledge. He assured me that not everyone would know this. I hung up the phone, and wandered over to my collection wondering how to proceed. It was surprisingly easy. By the end of the week, I knew what every shell in my collection meant. I had over 200 at the time, but all I did was apply what I knew about the animal who created the shell, or its interaction with man throughout history, or its name. Based upon this criteria, you could find a unique meaning to assign to each shell, and that became its contribution to the language of the seashells.

When naming shells, they receive a common name and a scientific name. The scientific name is in Latin based upon genus and species and is identical all over the world. The common name varies with the location. Whoever first finds a shell can give it any common name they want. Often it is based upon their appearance. Helmet shells were so named because their shell’s appearance resembles helmets worn by ancient warriors. For this reason, in divination I always thought Helmet Conchs represented someone willing to fight for you. Years later, I received a book authored by an Australian malacologist named Neville Coleman. A malacologist studies the mollusks, the animals who create and inhabit shells. In his book, Shells Alive! Neville writes about this episode in great detail. I will try to do it justice by summarizing the events for you.

During his normal “recording functions underwater”, he came across three Helmet Conchs in a triangular formation each about “5 metres away” from the other two. Two were positioned properly to get around, but one was buried in the sand on its side. When I read this, I realized that Helmet Conchs have no operculum, or door, covering the opening to their shell, so not only was this conch stuck, it was exposed to any predator in the vicinity. Even if it somehow avoided that fate, being stuck prevents it from obtaining food, and it would waste away from malnutrition. Neville admits that it is only in hindsight that he tells this story because he barely noticed these conchs. It never occurred to him to turn this animal over because his mind was full of the recent observations from his swim, and he had to return to change film. The only thought he gave them when observing their position was to assume (as it turned out, correctly) that other divers gathered them on a boat and tossed them overboard after being informed that they belonged to a protected species. A few hours later, with fresh air tanks and new film he made his way back and he “nearly froze at what the torchlight revealed.” The two conchs who were correctly positioned had made their way closer to the one in trouble. Being a trained malacologist, he sat back and observed the action. The two conchs did approach the one buried in the sand. “They had furrowed out a depression around the immobile shell, having dug away the sand as efficiently as if they were a pair of miniature bulldozers.” He says: “I just didn’t believe what might be happening, but I took the pictures anyway.” As he watched in awe, after loosening the sand around the conch that was stuck, the two mobile conchs came around behind it, climbed up on the shell and toppled it over. Neville was nearly in tears as he witnessed two “dumb, unfeeling invertebrates without vision or any known form of communication, with pea-sized ‘brains’ and no reasoning mechanism that we are aware of combine their actions to assist another of their species in trouble.”

I recognized that these conchs had to know a comrade was in trouble, care enough to cooperate in figuring out a plan of action, then carry it out… and they did! This rescue mission demonstrated both intelligence and compassion. My first thought was how remarkably in synch this behavior was with the divination meaning of someone willing to fight for you. In quite dramatic contrast, after I read Neville’s account of the Helmet Conchs, the headline story in my newspaper that night was about a woman in New York who was mugged. Despite her screams for help, everyone ignored her because they didn’t want to get involved. I couldn’t help but think that a Helmet Conch would come to her rescue, so who is the more evolved species?

Neville also wrote of his spiritual challenge with what he witnessed. As he put it,”I hated what my brain would eventually do to that scene. I cursed every bit of cold calculating behavioral biology I’d ever learned…I hated beyond hate, science, myself, and the world in general because I knew in my heart that this, like a thousand other encounters in the animal world must fade into objectiveness.” He explains that science has exacting principles, “of which feelings play no part. One cannot evaluate animal behavior in terms of human experiences and emotions.”

As a scientist, I have faced a similar challenge to Neville’s when learning to translate seashells. I had to leave cold science and venture into the realm of feelings and intuition. I believe that animals are not some lower life forms that only operate upon instinct. Who says that we are ascribing human traits upon these animals? Maybe they so obviously possess traits that we aspire to, that the only way we allow ourselves to be comfortable with their capacity for unconditional love is to label this as instinct. Otherwise, if they possess this spiritual trait we desire, logic dictates that they are the more evolved beings. But, what if a dog does have a choice whether to run into a burning building, or to dive into freezing waters to rescue a family member? These acts of love could be the genuine article, and writing them off as instinct does us all a disservice. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if the animals were mirroring our own default settings…the loving beings we really are.

When I first posed the question, “Who is the more evolved species?” comparing the Helemt Conch to the people who ignored the mugging victim, I was leaning toward the conch. I have since come to believe that energetically we are all light beings. One of us comes to Earth and zips on a “human suit”, another a “dog suit”, another a “tree suit”, but underneath we are all the same light beings. At this energetic level, no being is above or below another on the evolutionary scale…we are all one. Instead of looking upon this demonstration of animal compassion as “less than” because it is only instinct, why not see the gift they offer us, teaching us who we are…even in the behavior of a snail?

I think Neville may share these thoughts because he ends his account with these words: “Regardless of how, or why, I saw two ‘lowly invertebrates’ spend several hours saving the life of another ‘lowly invertebrate’ and nobody on this planet is going to convince me otherwise.”

After such a powerful demonstration of their willingness to fight for their comrade, there is one more lesson Helmet Conch teaches. When I do readings, I always ask people to tell me what shells get their attention. It could be because they find them to be beautiful, or because they are bothered by them. It doesn’t matter…whatever it takes to get their attention counts. I mention this, because very often the Helmet Conch bothers people. When this shell is not liked, it means someone you thought you could count on, someone you thought was willing to fight for you, let you down. The pain of this shatters the capacity to trust.
When you can no longer trust those you love, you don’t trust anyone. This limits your ability to delegate tasks because you don’t want to give anyone the opportunity to let you down. Therefore, you don’t ask for help; you do everything yourself.
In addition, if anyone asks you to do anything, you will make an extra effort to fulfill obligations. You know the pain of being let down by others and you would not want to inflict that pain on anyone else. When Helmet Conch is disliked, it is teaching us about our capacity to trust. It reveals the toll it takes without our awareness when we have lost that precious ability.
I just realized that an important part of the rescue mission is the fact that it took two Helmet Conchs to save their comrade. This could not have been accomplished alone. They had to rely on each other...trust in a literal matter of life and death!

Satori

48. Coronate Prickly-Winkle

Coronate Prickly-Winkle
Meaning: "Extremely tolerant of harsh conditions;avoiding confrontation;not standing up for oneself."

shell oracle said:
"Some species of winkles live in very harsh environments. They endure extreme heat, high salinity, dehydration, or drowning rains. Tolerating these horrible conditions may be preferable to competing for food with other species living in more favorable environments."

Satori

elf said:
44. Black-Lipped Pearl Oyster
Meaning: “Looking for the gift connected to the situation; beauty from irritation.”

This is just an fyi:
The crystal/stones called Boji Stones are actually formed around a bit of shell in the center. I was thinking that there is a sort of connection between sea pearls and Bojis...the pearl of the land.

Interestingly, Boji stones are paired. There is a male and a female.
The male is bumpy while the female is smoother. They are used as pairs or as individual stones.

Satori

Chambered Nautilus

I was thinking that there is perhaps a multidimensional aspect to this shell.
So that we have more than one chambered nautilus that may be needing healing in our lives.

I'm wondering too if chambered nautilus could be like the past life shell. Holding associations from other lifetimes...I wonder how this would come up in a reading??

Skydancer

What stands out most to me, in your discussions (musings?!) here is --- that a pearl is something beautiful that comes from an irritant.

I mean, they take oysters, open them just a tad, put in a "seed" and then let them go live at the bottom of the bay until they gather them up sometime later and check to see how big the pearls have grown.

Weird, strange, sad in a way; we want the beautiful end product and so we irritate the living 'ell out of a calm benevolent being to get it. And - we kill them to retrieve the pearl. But it's okay really, not like it's a waste or anything; we eat the little being so we get nutrition and a pretty little bauble.

Okay - it's gonna be a cynical week I see.

*S*
And then there's this:

Meaning: “An ally; A champion (on your behalf).”

Shelley's recounting of the photographer's experience brings tears to my eyes. Why is it that humans think they are the only intellegent species on this planet? How did we ever get to be so freakin' arrogant.

shell oracle

Chambered Nautilus

Elf states "I'm wondering too if chambered nautilus could be like the past life shell. Holding associations from other lifetimes...I wonder how this would come up in a reading?? "

Elf, for past life patterns, I use the Nautiloid. We are jumping ahead just a bit, this is information in the second book but I hope it is OK to discuss this here. I wondered if anyone would need to know this, and your musings prompted me to share this. My thought is that Nautiloid is the fossil of the Chambered Nautilus. Where Chambered Nautilus relates to patterns and gifts from this life, their fossils may take us to connections in past lives. They hold access to the akashic records chronicling our entire history and are reservoirs for the personalized gifts we brought to this life to aid our ascension.

By the way, would someone please tell me how you make such nice copies of previous quotes? I tried using the quote button, but all it did was write the word QUOTE.

Skydancer

Shelley -- about quotes!~!

In case someone hasn't PMed you already.

YOu do this:

[ quote ] what ever you have copied and pasted, anything goes here[/quote]

Now, I left a space before and after the word 'quote' in that first bracket to show you or it would have looked like this:

what ever you have copied and pasted, anything goes here

~hth (hope that helps)

*S* :)

shell oracle

26. Giant Lima Clam aka Delicate File Clam

26. Giant Lima Clam
Meaning: Desiring privacy over personal matters; discomfort over exposure of personal information

For the lesson of the Delicate File Clam, we begin by examining the mollusk’s anatomy and behavior. The File Clam is a very poor swimmer unable to rely upon this skill to evade predatory fish. Fortunately, compensatory measures are at its disposal. Its body is equipped with a fringe of delicate tentacles peeking out from the edge of its shell. These tentacles break off easily and are quite sticky. They are the first bit of clam that enters the fish’s mouth, and by wrapping around each other and sticking together, they effectively seal the unsuspecting fish’s mouth shut. This buys the clam a bit of extra time to make its escape, but it has one more adaptation to employ. The File Clam produces prodigious amounts of byssus threads, the same stringy filaments that mussels use to anchor themselves to wharves and rocks. However, the File Clam manufactures such vast quantities of these threads that it is capable of building a nest. While the fish struggles to unglue its mouth, the clam is able to bury itself in a quickly constructed nest.

What does this mean in shell divination terms? The combined name and behavior of the Delicate File Clam suggests discomfort caused by the revelation of personal information… information so delicate, great effort would be made to keep someone’s mouth shut rather than allow its disclosure. The clam’s nesting behavior indicates that exposing this information would create such discomfort you would have to hide away from the world in your “nest.” What information could possibly be so damaging? The answer is anything we deem to be a personal flaw…anything that makes us different. We believe that in order to be liked, we have to be like everyone else. We are imprisoned by our thoughts regarding anything about us that makes us different. Our concerns of loss of acceptance dictate an artificial life lived in fear.

Thinking about our flaws, and the lesson from the File Clam, I recalled a story circulating on the Internet a few years ago. It is called the Cracked Pot. It involves a water barer with two pots. To paraphrase, one pot is perfect; the other contains a large crack. Everyday, the water barer walks to the stream and fills both pots with water. Upon his return, the perfect pot is full, but the cracked pot only retained half its liquid contents. After a few years of this, the cracked pot said to the water barer “I am so ashamed.” When asked why, the pot explained that every day the water barer works hard taking the two pots to the stream, but without fail, when they return, the cracked pot has lost half its water. The water barer responded by asking the cracked pot to observe the ground when they visit the stream the next day. The cracked pot complied, and when they returned the next day the water barer asked the pot how it felt. It commented that the flowers were beautiful, but alas, it was still only half full. The water barer than asked if the pot noticed that the flowers were only on one side of the path…the cracked pot’s side. That is because the water barer was aware of the crack and planted seeds on that side of the path. He told the cracked pot that every day on the walk back from the stream, the cracked pot had watered the seeds. The water barer was grateful the cracked pot was built precisely as it was. Thanks to this, they had beautiful bouquets for the Master’s table.

If I may take the liberty to project, what if the cracked pot had been able to prevent any water from leaking out and revealing its crack? It would have taken every ounce of energy it possessed, and would have created such a state of exhaustion that the pot would have been unable to do anything but rest until repeating its superhuman effort the next day. There would have been no decorative flowers adding color to the world. Like the pot, we try to hide our cracks. Some take drugs or alcohol, some overeat, some fill their life with distractions to prevent others or themselves from noticing the cracks, our self-described flaws, the things that make us different. If we stop to consider, whatever method we use to hide the crack is far more unhealthy than the crack could ever be. Moreover, as the cracked pot discovered, how do we know that the cracks we possess and judge as flaws are not the very thing that allows us to make our contribution to the planet?

Every transformation or invention comes from someone willing to be outside the box. If the Wright Brothers had listened to conventional wisdom, “If man were meant to fly, God would have given us wings” where would aviation be today? They listened to their hearts and knew flight was possible. They may have wished they could ignore their gut feelings and be accepted by others, but they chose instead to expose their cracks to the public. It is a sad commentary that following their hearts quite possibly required greater courage than confronting the actual danger of flying in the first airplane.

In gratitude, I would like to suggest that we celebrate and appreciate our cracks. Instead of hiding what we deem to be our flaws, striving to be like everyone else, allow those different outlooks and thoughts to flourish. After all, they are the truth of who we are. If we are light beings, our cracks may be the source God gave us to allow our light to shine out upon the world.