Prepping for a professional reading

Horace

I've been reading a lot of threads about how the Reader is responsible for phrasing information from the Tarot in a professional and empathetic way. And I know there are posts about the Seeker helping the Reader.

Now that I understand the purpose of the Tarot better, I want to have a face to face professional reading with our local reader. I have my question written out according to the guidlines here. What can I do that will help me get the most out of my session? Do I tell her I know a little about the meanings, at least the keywords? If I were your client, how much feedback and when would you want it? I have a bad habit of interrupting, come from a big family. I plan on studying the reading with my own deck later, so what about a different deck, for new interpretations? And what about a tip? What attributes should the ideal Querent possess? ?Hh

Netzach

I would certainly tell the reader that you read yourself - but do so in such a way that she doesn't think you're trying to test her!

And ask her whether she minds you asking questions while she's doing the reading or whether she'd like you to wait until she's finished.

But why do you want to study the reading with your own deck later? This sounds as though you do want to check up on her. It's a bit of a waste of time to have a reading and then redo it yourself. Take notes on what she says, certainly, but if you think you can get more from the cards than she's going to tell you, why pay for a reading?

Lady Orchard

Personally I would tell her you read too. Imagine if something like the tower came up in a prominent position - she'd notice your face for sure!!

Plus you can have more of a dialogue with her and it would probably end up a much more fulfilling reading.

April

First off, I wish all the people I read for cared as much as you do! Thanks for giving me back a little faith.

I agree with Netzach, ask first. I encourage interruptions but some readers don't like it. I've kind of gone back and forth about whether I want to know if the person I'm reading for reads as well. I guess it's okay to tell her but don't tell her what the cards mean. I'm sure you wouldn't, but I've had that happen several times and it's really annoying. You should absolutely take notes.

I think it's fine to look at the reading later with your own deck, BUT avoid "new interpretations". It's probably a good way to get some study in.

tmgrl2

I have told readers right up front before we start....that I read Tarot ....but that I am coming for a reading...not TO read the cards....

They seem to appreciate that. One said to me he would prefer it if I let him read the cards...I said no problem..but as we went along, he drew me in..probably the raised eyebrows I had when certain cards turned up....

I did tip the readers.....Whatever would be appropriate for someone to do when they come to you for a reading...I believe it appropriate for you to do when you go FOR a reading.

Let us know how it turned out!!

terri

tarotbear

Because of who I am, when I go to get a reading from someone else professionally ~ I don't tell them anything other than 'Yes, I have had readings before,' or 'Oh, I know a few things about Tarot.' After all, I am there to get a reading and don't want them to think I am 'deliberately ' testing them or looking for a 'tarot read-off' or something! If they are psychic they will figure it out eventually, but the least they know about me personally before the cards are laid out, the better. I am not there to test the depths of their knowledge - I just want an good but impartial reading!

In your case, I would ask if they could write down what cards were used so you could have a record of the reading; that is acceptable and easy to do - you could add a few notes. Some readers will tape the reading if you ask them ahead of time.

But ~ why do you want to look for 'new interpretations'? That would seem like a wasted effort.

Could you see the reaction if I walked in to a reader and said something like: "Hi! I'm so-and-so , - been reading cards for at least 12 years and have one Tarot book on the shelves and a second one in the works! BTW - would you mind if I write this reading down so I can check it out later for a different interpretation? Thanks!"

Yeah, right. :smoker:

Knightward

The most important thing is to be open minded and not locked in your verison of what the cards mean.

When I read for people, sometimes people stay totally quiet the entire time, and sometimes they give me more information after I hit on something - either is acceptable to me, but I think I am rather easy going in that respect.

Personally if someone came to me and asked for a reading, I feel they should trust my Judgement. My Judgement may be wrong - but if thats what I am seeing, then that is what I am seeing. I do not alter what I am seeing to make their life a more perfect place.

-Fenier

Apollonia

Hi, Horace!

I always ask my clients if they read for themselves or for others, but if your reader doesn't ask, I would assume it doesn't matter to her. These days, I would think most experienced professional readers will have had a great many clients who read on some level or another, and reading for a reader wouldn't phase her in the slightest.

I don't mind getting ongoing feedback as the reading progresses (in fact, I prefer it), but I know others don't like to have the sitter comment on the reading until the end, so definitely ask.

Some of my clients tip me, some don't. It's delightful when it happens, but not something I solicit or look for. But I would say that if you tip once, if you go back you should keep on tipping. Be consistent once you start.

And since you've asked, for me the ideal querent is one who listens to what I am saying; who doesn't immediately contradict me, but takes my words in and considers them; and who interacts freely, rather than sitting there stone-faced and with arms crossed, for fear that I'm reading their body language instead of the cards! Those people are exhausting. Oh, and the guy I had last week who plopped himself down and said, "My psychic moved away. She was tested at 96% accuracy. I want to see if you can read me." (By the way, if anyone reading this ever locates that drive-up psychic testing facility whose slogan is apparently "Good ratings for bad psychics," please let me know.)

But you'll do great, I know, because you have the wisdom and clarity to prepare. That's really my ideal querent!

Blessings,
A

tarotbear

Apollonia said:
(By the way, if anyone reading this ever locates that drive-up psychic testing facility whose slogan is apparently "Good ratings for bad psychics," please let me know.)

I'll bet Major Tom could create one for you! Are you at least a 'Scalawag of Tarot'? LOL!!!