Israel Regardie, The Tree of Life

BrightEye

I figure this one is a classic. Would this be a good one to get for someone who wants to get into magic, the Thoth and Crowley (apart from C's own books)?

There seem to be different editions of this book, is that right? and if so, which one should I get? Thanks.

Aeon418

BrightEye said:
I figure this one is a classic. Would this be a good one to get for someone who wants to get into magic, the Thoth and Crowley (apart from C's own books)?
Yeah, I think "The Tree of Life" is a very good introduction to the philosophy and theory behind Magick. It's not a practical manual though, so I would suggest you study it in conjunction with a more practical oriented book like Lon Milo DuQuette's "The Magick of Thelema".
BrightEye said:
There seem to be different editions of this book, is that right? and if so, which one should I get? Thanks.
I think there are two different versions in print at the moment. The one printed by Weiser is just Regardie's original text. The version printed by Llewellyn (I own this one) has been annotated by Chic and Sandra Cicero. They have added lots of extra footnotes that explain many obscure references in the text.

Regardie dedicated the Tree of Life to Marsyas, i.e. Crowley. ;)

BrightEye

Thanks, Aeon. I'll be back in the bookshop today.

Fulgour

Well sure then I admit :( I made up the movie bit.
But if there were one it could be fun ~ all freaky!

BrightEye

Fulgour said:
Well sure then I admit :( I made up the movie bit.
But if there were one it could be fun ~ all freaky!
No idea what you're on about.

Simone

hehe look at Fulgour's first post on this thread and the title of it ;)

agedog1

Regardie was my teacher so I say go with him. Crowley had some real problems with drugs. I have read his books. Unfortunately, at times you can tell Crowley was "under the influence" as he wrote.

I'm prejudice.

Oops, DON't go with The Golden Dawn (complete works), that might intimidate your friend to the point your friend would not won't to continue his/her studies.

MikeTheAltarboy

I have the cicero edition of The Tree of Life, and like it very much. A very clear and balanced look at magic theory. It's probably a good *starting point* for Crowley.

BrightEye

agedog1 said:
Regardie was my teacher so I say go with him.
You knew him personally? That's amazing. What was he like? I believe he knew Crowley. Did he talk about him much? And Frieda Harris?

Sorry to go off on a tangent.