Natural Omens

DarkElectric

I have heard about the Owl omen many times, has anyone heard about the Crow omen? If you have a worry, and need a question answered, next time you go out look for the first crow you see. If it's on the right side the answer is yes. If it's on the left, the answer is no. The major problem I have with this is that crows tend to be rather social (at least they are here), and when I go out I see bunches of em' on BOTH sides of the road! I take this to mean the decision is up to me. And as far as seeing Klingon ships, Those are actually OK. it's if you see a VOGON ship that you have to worry! (Don't Panic! Just make sure you have your towel, and everything will be fine!) Oh, and PBS will be broadcasting one of the early Bill Moyers series, "The Power of Myth, with Joseph Campbell" on August 23 and 30. I will have my VCR primed and ready! My natural omens are usually oddly personal ones. When I see them, I know what they mean to me, but they probably won't mean the same thing to someone else. But omens they are. In have always believed that if we can read the "roadsigns" so to speak, we might have a bit of an easier time on the journey.

the hermit

Hit or Myth!

DarkElectric said:
And as far as seeing Klingon ships, Those are actually OK. it's if you see a VOGON ship that you have to worry! (Don't Panic! Just make sure you have your towel, and everything will be fine!)
OH NO!!! NOT A HYPER-BYPASS!!!
Where did I put the Babelfish???
And don't forget your toothbrush!!!

Thanks for all the fish!

DarkElectric said:
Oh, and PBS will be broadcasting one of the early Bill Moyers series, "The Power of Myth, with Joseph Campbell" on August 23 and 30. I will have my VCR primed and ready!
Anyone interested in myths, and who hasn't seen or read Joseph Campbell's work should REALLY watch this! REALLY! REALLY!!!
thanks for the heads-up DarkElectric!!!

MeeWah

I look at the sky & at cloud formations, a habit from childhood. Depending on what I see & the movement, it may forecast the coming weather or something on a personal level. On a few occasions, I saw a tornado coming before a warning was posted; a nor'easter; etc. I listen to the wind & feel its texture. A few days ago, I felt a hint of Autumn in a breeze that trailed damp fingers. It also told me that it was more than a cold ailing me, so I went to the doctor. The pattern of fallen leaves suggest pictures as do the light & shadow in puddles. Just before Summer, after a light rain & the Sun appeared, there was an intriguing fan of shimmering light rays, its apex on the horizon. It felt like a blessing.

I also watch the woodland animals, the birds & the ducks. All is well when the Mallard ducks come for dinner, 2 males & a female. When both sides of the front lawn are covered by black birds, it seems to coincide with real life intrusions.

Growing up, a dead bird close to the house was an omen of bad luck. That has sort of stuck with me. I think in China, the birth of mutated animals was seen as an omen, related to disasters--crop failure, flooding, disease.

MeeWah

DarkElectric: Thanks for the info on the Joseph Campbell program!! I shall make a note of it or I will forget.

midnightmerry

the hermit said:

Excellent post midnightmerry.
Have you read any of Joseph Campbell's wonderful work?
He'd be proud of you! :D

We have several Joseph Campbell books and I've skimed through them, but can't really say I've read them completely. I have seen the PBS show, though (see below).

midnightmerry

DarkElectric said:
I have heard about the Owl omen many times, has anyone heard about the Crow omen?

Oh, and PBS will be broadcasting one of the early Bill Moyers series, "The Power of Myth, with Joseph Campbell" on August 23 and 30.

Thanks for the crow omen information! And also, thanks so much for posting about the "The Power of Myth" being aired again. I saw it awhile back on PBS & would love to see it again.

midnightmerry

Thanks All, for sharing some of your personal omen experiences.

Again, I love this type of omen-work exactly because it is so personal. For me, this doesn't fall into the category of 'superstition' because it is completely different; I don't feel 'compelled' to do it, there are no fears associated with its performance or not, and its aim is different.

Violet Gargoyle

DarkElectric said:
I have heard about the Owl omen many times, has anyone heard about the Crow omen? If you have a worry, and need a question answered, next time you go out look for the first crow you see. If it's on the right side the answer is yes. If it's on the left, the answer is no. The major problem I have with this is that crows tend to be rather social (at least they are here), and when I go out I see bunches of em' on BOTH sides of the road!

I only remember the crow rhyme for how many line up in a row:
One for Sorrow,
Two for Joy,
Three for a Girl,
Four for a Boy,
Five for Silver,
Six for Gold,
Seven for a secret,
That's never been told.

My best friend has one with spiders. If she see three in her bathtub, then someone she knows is "knocked up" (pregnant).

I see spiders in my tub, then I know that there is a spider nest somewhere.

I get my signals crossed alot. The other day I dreamed that a white silk cord I where my pendant on got dyed black by spilt ink. Yesterday my daughter chewed a pen up until ink spewed all over her face.

I never made any connection to any event until it had already happened, and those kind of things always happen. There is no consistancy, so I can sense things, but am not allowed to get a system for it and get paranoid......

destinyawaitsme

One of my brother's friends took a picture of the sky when a tornado came. There was a formation that looked like a large hand coming out of the clouds. She always referred to it as "the hand of God" and she has it hanging in her house. Very creepy.

There are a few crows that hang around campus. They also give me the creeps. I don't know if it's just because some people say that crows are symbols of the dead. But I also get weird feelings when I see them.

About 2 or 3 months ago, I walked outside of my dorm and instantly, after smelling the air, seeing the damp concrete just from the moisture from the air. I heard this voice in my head that said,"perfect tornado weather." But tornadoes are rare here, since I'm in the mountains so i didn't panic. But that night I get a call from a friend from high school asking me if I had talked to my mom that day. Evidently a tornado had came to my hometown. (5 hours away from college). Our house had some damage, but luckily no one was hurt. But mom did get a big check to repair the roof that helped her take care of some of her debts and even help my brother out some since he was about to be kicked out of his apartment because he didn't have the money to pay rent for the month. She said she thought it was a gift from God. Which I thought was strange because Mom hasn't been religious since I was 2 and she is the queen of pessimism.

midnightmerry

destinyawaitsme said:
One of my brother's friends took a picture of the sky when a tornado came. There was a formation that looked like a large hand coming out of the clouds. She always referred to it as "the hand of God" and she has it hanging in her house. Very creepy.

Wow. I would love to see that photo!!