Pendulums

wavebreaker

I recently bought a pendulum. Now I've heard that pendulums are very easily to manipulate and are very susceptible to "wishful thinking": if you ask it whether you will get something that you want really bad, it will always tell you "yes".
Based on this, I would think that maybe it's better not to use the pendulum for yourself, because it wouldn't be very objective.

What are your thoughts and/or experiences on this?

Laurel

I've never worked with a pendulum. However, earlier this month, a long lost friend tracked me down. He was a very experienced tarot reader and ceremonial magician who'd recently got a pendulum and put it to "test" by trying to locate me. The information he'd gotten had turned out 100% wrong, after the first couple yes/no broad questions and in the end, he found me via the phone book.

A long time ago, I saw a woman at a psychic fair use a pendulum with remarkable skill and accuracy. This particular person was also a very skilled dowser or "water witch", the only one I've ever met that I know of. She'd started with dowsing and then gotten a pendulum.

Laurel

Sorceress_Jade

Well, if you think about it your Tarot readings are just as susceptable to your personal whims. I own a pendulum and an excellent (but OLD) book on the subject.

Often the pendulums are lumped in with dowsing and called dowsing, even tho that word was originally used for water.

I say find yourself a source of information on the pendulum (even if it's via the internet, as we all know that's cheaper) and get started with it.

There are excersizes that are good to de before you try to do any sort of reading. I don't use mine often, but mostly because I'm deep into Tarot at the moment, however I find it soothing and I take it with me on trips and treat it to 'baths' in all sorts of places.

When I 'dowse' I close my eyes to concentrate on the question and concentrate on keeping my hand still and think of it remaining still, and then open them to see the rotation. As of yet, the rotations are small, not wide archs, but seldom have they been to small for me to decipher the direction.

zorya

i made a pendulum from a amethyst crystal. it works remarkably well, for finding lost items.

wavebreaker

zorya: How do you do that, finding lost items with your pendulum?

zorya

in a nutshell; i do my little ritual asking for assistance from my spirit guides and the four directions/elements. then i let the pendulum point the way. i can feel a tug in the right direction. for example if it swings north south, i might feel it tug more on the south swing. if the item is nowhere near, it will just swing in a circle. the funny thing is, that if i try to skip the ritual, it won't work. there has been many a time, where i've looked and looked for an item to no avail, but as soon as i use the pendulum. i find it. i'm starting to learn to ask for "assistance" from the start. lol.

wavebreaker

Sorceress_Jade said:
Well, if you think about it your Tarot readings are just as susceptable to your personal whims.
I suppose so, but for some reason I feel as if a pendulum would be easier to manipulate, unconsciously that is. But then maybe that's just me. ;)

I say find yourself a source of information on the pendulum (even if it's via the internet, as we all know that's cheaper) and get started with it.
I'll see what I can find on the internet. If I find anything interesting, I'll post it here.

Jimilyn

I have three pendulums and all three work well for me. I agree with Sorceress Jade that Tarot (or any other form of divination) can also be manipulated. The key is focus and to detach from a specific outcome. You need to establish that you want the truth and not just an echo of what you'd like the answer to be. Some people can do this more easily than others, it seems. I even have friends who can come out of a meeting and have heard an entirely different set of remarks than I heard at the same meeting...difference in perspective, what we want to hear.

My pendulums work very well for me. So do my decks. But I don't necessarily have to have either of those tools. I can use muscle testing or just straight intuition without a tool. It's generally a matter of preference, I think.

Jimilyn

catlin

I also have several pendulums either in brass or in precious stones and they also work well.

Last time I had brought my amethyst pendulum to our tarot circle and one of the women wanted to try it out but the pendulum stood still. She did not manage to make it swing altough she tried very hard on it.

wavebreaker

Funny thing is, the first time I tried to use a pendulum (I used an amethyst pendant on a chain as the pendulum), it didn't work for me at all, it simply didn't move. I never tried it again after that, thinking that probably it wasn't for me, until last weekend, when someone gave me their pendulum and that one did work for me. I've bought my own pendulum now and that one works for me as well.

I guess I just need to practice a lot more now to get useful answers out of it.