Minchiate - Charity

firecatpickles

This card is about Divine love as the Love card about congress, or Eros. I would like to extend the idea of Charity as brotherly love, or Philios, for personal reasons. [Can someone please point me in the right "theosophic" {if this is the correct term} direction here?]

For clarity's sake, here is Milton's Enlightenment Era position on the several types of Love:

Paradise Lost is an epic of erotic and spiritual love, with many kinds of love described: male-female; male-male; angel to angel; man to God; father to son; God to his Creation; poet and his muse.”

TheCharitys.jpg

Dwaas

I believe charity is one of the most deep ways of giving love. It is for me about sharing. No matter how much or less we have. Sharing with perhaps even strange people we don't know and have no personal history with. It is about welcoming the stranger, working as a welfare worker far away under relative primitive circumstances, about having busy lifes and make time for someone who needs our attention.
kilts_knave thanks for your link! Makes me want to read Milton again.
When I look at the different Charity cards it looks like she is rich dressed but without jewelry, holding a fire or a plant. A fire that should burn in all of us, to remind us of the love of charity we have to share, and it could be the plant with seeds of that love. I'm not sure what it is in the Etruria Minchiate. Have a look for yourself.
Blessings

Attachments

• Charity.jpg
    Charity.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 371

firecatpickles

Is the Etruria holding a purse in her left hand?

KK

fluffy

I think she is holding a flame. In a "symbols" book that I have it says that Charity was often represented holding either a candle representing "divine benevolence" or a flaming heart signifying "compassion for others and love for God".

Fluffy
x

firecatpickles

This card came up as a true love card recently --not just physical, Eros, or platonic, Philia, but all of the above. It would be interesting to discover what the original meaning of "Caritas" was before being appropriated by the Christians.

What do you think?

K:spade:K

DoctorArcanus

fluffy said:
I think she is holding a flame. In a "symbols" book that I have it says that Charity was often represented holding either a candle representing "divine benevolence" or a flaming heart signifying "compassion for others and love for God".

The flame is a symbol of love and passion. In this case it indeed represents the love of God.

Characters holding a flame also appear in other ancient decks, for instance:

* III Lenpio - Sola Busca deck: it is not clear who this character represents and what is the meaning of the flame.
* 43 Venus - Mantegna: According to Edgar Wind, the three graces represent chastity, beauty and love.

The two images are from the Trionfi.com site:
http://trionfi.com/0/j/d/solabusca/p/03.jpg
http://geocities.com/mantegna_t/43.html

Marco

Attachments

• flame.jpg
    flame.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 379

venicebard

Just some thoughts

kilts_knave said:
This card is about Divine love as the Love card about congress, or Eros. I would like to extend the idea of Charity as brotherly love, or Philia, for personal reasons. [Can someone please point me in the right "theosophic" {if this is the correct term} direction here?]
I don’t know if this helps, but there is a ‘bardic’ split of one fundamental tree-letter into two separate runes, mirrored in Greek, and I find the symbols involved quite instructive. The letter G-gort-ivy (gimel) represents desire and the number ten (X LaRoue deFortune). In runic it branched into j and y sounds called, respectively, ‘gift’ (our word give, more or less) and ‘harvest’ (our word year): desire to bestow versus desire to acquire, the second (one hopes) arising from the first. ‘Gift’—like Greek chi, the initial of Christ—is an X-shape. From a g used in North Africa in which the X has a ‘lid’ (horizontal closing the top), it is apparent that this character—which could not have horizontals when carved across grain—represents the cauldron of plenty (which according to Brito-Sarmatian tradition rejects the unworthy, like the Grail), on its stand.

‘Harvest’ is two interlocked crescents that look like a G more or less and picture the interlocked arms of the harvest dance, I take it. This is the acquisitive desire, on which the other depends for execution (wisdom, for instance, cannot be imparted until gained), which is how it originates out of the other. In Greek, it is gamma, profile of a man’s legs surmounted by his erection (forgive the crudeness), for in North Africa (Libyan and tifinag) it is a vertical line with a dot on either side of the base (the male organ).

Semitic gimel as ‘camel’ carries both gift and acquisition (the former in the original story of ‘wise men out of the east’, no doubt) and meanders like ivy. The split of G-ivy (wanderer, desirer) was probably meant to show the interdependence of the two but has degenerated into striving to appear generous, which is not the same as true generosity.

As to flame in hand, in the image in the middle it looks like it represents nature, which brings us to:
DoctorArcanus said:
* III Lenpio - Sola Busca deck: it is not clear who this character represents and what is the meaning of the flame.
* 43 Venus - Mantegna: According to Edgard Wind, the three graces represent chastity, beauty and love.

Marco
Marco, in the Lenpio also the ‘flame’ seems to picture nature’s growth (vegetation).

The other image is quite striking. The flame there is vegetation also, but its threefold nature and the three branches, since these are held by the middle and right of the three, means these are: the Holy Spirit (thinker, or part of greater self that deals with things of finite duration) and Father (knower, the part that deals with things eternal), which do not undergo the Fall, the third one (on the left) being the Son (doer, who acts in the durationless present), who does (undergo the Fall) and who has therefore lost touch consciously with the Trinity itself, that is, with the greater threefold self of which it is merely part (as in “Father, why hast thou forsaken me?”). This is not blasphemy but Gnosticism. Since the images for the body (in the water) and three parts of the self (the Graces) are all female (I gather), it evidently refers to alchemy and the transformation of (one’s) nature, Cupid representing the false attraction of the outward (leftward, receptive) as a false (i.e. premature) male, the real male being the three (or four) male counterparts of these four, being matured somewhere ‘in parallel’.

DoctorArcanus

venicebard said:
Marco, in the Lenpio also the ‘flame’ seems to picture nature’s growth (vegetation).

I agree. In general, the representation of fire in early engravings does not seem to be satisfying from the point of view of realism. Maybe Lenpio is holding some grass: this image, as most of the Sola Busca images, is mysterious to me. :)

venicebard said:
The other image is quite striking. The flame there is vegetation also, but its threefold nature and the three branches, since these are held by the middle and right of the three, means these are: the Holy Spirit (thinker, or part of greater self that deals with things of finite duration) and Father (knower, the part that deals with things eternal), which do not undergo the Fall, the third one (on the left) being the Son (doer, who acts in the durationless present), who does (undergo the Fall) and who has therefore lost touch consciously with the Trinity itself, that is, with the greater threefold self of which it is merely part (as in “Father, why hast thou forsaken me?”). This is not blasphemy but Gnosticism. Since the images for the body (in the water) and three parts of the self (the Graces) are all female (I gather), it evidently refers to alchemy and the transformation of (one’s) nature, Cupid representing the false attraction of the outward (leftward, receptive) as a false (i.e. premature) male, the real male being the three (or four) male counterparts of these four, being matured somewhere ‘in parallel’.

Your interpretation of the Graces is deep and creative: amazing!

The source of the interpretation I posted is "Pagan Mysteries in the Renaissance" by Edgar Wind. It contains a rich analysis of the evolution of this iconographic theme, expecially in the context of Florentine Neoplatonism (Ficino and Pico).

Marco

venicebard

DoctorArcanus said:
In general, the representation of fire in early engravings does not seem to be satisfying from the point of view of realism. Maybe Lenpio is holding some grass: this image, as most of the Sola Busca images, is mysterious to me. :)
Well you know the Corn Spirit is linked to fire, as both strive upwards. The complete spirit of vegetation—spring itself—seems to be vapors of mercury springing up and out (like foliage) to fill the upper half of the closed vessel. But the mercury that thus becomes spring must first be heated, and heat itself is the Corn Spirit striving upwards out of the seed. (It also equates with oxygen, hence VIII LaJustice, and with the Egyptian hieroglyph ‘wick of twisted flax’.)

Thanx for the name of the book: I need to get that one.

venicebard

addendum

I forgot to specify that leo, the hottest month, is where the heat is applied to the vessel. Since bardic 'technology' makes this IIII L'Empereur (who rules the elements), it is a simple matter to express increase as a leaping up or doubling to VIII LaJustice or aries, the top of the vessel and beginning of spring's springing upward, as this is the direction heat seeks within the vessel or seed, whilst leo is where it enters the vessel (being where the heat is applied).