Altered states and developing deeper intuition

raeanne

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone uses any method of 'altered states' (sensory deprevation, light/sound machines. etc) in combination with divination or to help develop intuition? I have a light & sound machine and I really love it. It can connect to a biofeedback machine that I bought to go with it. I also use several different CD that help produce certain brainwave patterns. All of these have helped a lot in deepening my meditative level, creative visualization, and intuition. I've never tried a sensory deprevation tank. It sounds interesting but I don't know of any place locally that has one. So, I'm interested in hearing what, if anything, you all do to help develop your skills. Actually, I think I have two questions: 1. Do you use 'altered states' techniques and if so, which ones? 2. Do you do anything (other than practice your method of divination) to increase your intuition and if so, what? I would really like to hear about your experiences.

Crowqueen

When I was at university - I didn't know this at the time, it's only by reading the stories I wrote and comparing them to real events since - I evidently went into some kind of trance state by playing music, but it was loud, bouncy folk/world music rather than meditative "new age" music. Whilst in this kind of trance I drew comic stories - hundreds and hundreds of pages of them - which have subsequently come true (if of course you see them as allegorical, though specific details such as dates, physical characteristics and names of the characters, and so on, link the allegories to real life).

I always feel happiest and at my most confident when my emotions feed off happy, lively music; and through folk and world music I have seen many songs begin to reflect real life. I am most interested in political divination, so songs of knights and kings and princesses have fuelled this strange kind of synchronicity. Whether I am merely receiving divination of future events or creating them - of course folklore is full of tales of artists who are able to paint things and see them come to life, though they usually end up as morality tales when the artist gets too greedy for material possessions! - is dependent on whether you believe the future is fixed or mutable, but I have seen enough to understand that divination seems to work by showing you pictures of the future before it happens, and thus although it may the events, particularly in politics, seem incredible at the time, I do tend towards the pre-determination and "future echoes" concept rather than seeing myself as creating the future through my drawings in a trance state.

What is interesting that a lot of my comic strip artwork and narrative has been created over a cup of coffee in a cafe in the middle of a city or town (when I am working I tend to leave the house early enough to buy myself breakfast outside the house so I have time to "wake up" properly!) without going into any kind of trance state.

While drawing I normally like to have something on in the background, usually a good TV documentary or comedy. Looking back at some artwork I've done, there are one or two pieces where I can still remember what I was watching at the time. One piece I remembered was done while watching a documentary on the Lodz ghetto in wartime Poland; a few years later I actually ended up living in Lodz on the site of the former ghetto. The page was one of the prescient ones regarding recent politics in the UK.

And thinking back, the earliest drawing I ever did which still exists - a picture of a circus scribbled on the lid of my mother's tupperware sewing box at the age of three with a red biro (and I remember doing it so I know for definite it was a circus!) - seems to be an anticipation of a cartoon I cut from a newspaper several years ago, which suggests that the art of political divination in the United Kingdom is alive, well and pointing towards the same conclusions. (I also found psychics from the 1970s who have predicted the name of the next prime minister over here, although given that the person who time's arrow is pointing to was not known and hadn't even entered politics at that time, the name is wrong; however the named person has a very similar name, so I suspect the psychic, having received the information, applied it to the wrong person, since the actual person was not prominent or active and unknown to her. Concerning other political figures, her predictions were spot on, so I know she was "kosher"; the book itself was published in 1977 and the person concerned didn't enter parliament until 1983, so he could not have been known as a celebrity to her.)

Since at the age of three I didn't know anything much when I drew that picture other than it was definitely a circus (we found the box a while ago and although it had faded with time, I could still categorically remember doing it, I feel quite strongly that as long as you are open to the idea of divination being possible and are able to have enough of an open mind to harness it and expand your ideas of it, then it is possible without going into a trance state, though indeed it does help.

I have Asperger's Syndrome, a form of autism, though, which I think blurs the border enough between the "real life" and "fantasy" (as it would appear to my parents), so like the "idiot savant" of "Rain Man", I might have started from an acceptance of divinatory abilities than having to work at developing them by going into a trance state. I have developed a numerological technique based around the number 47 (a prime number which kept cropping up for some reason, and lately has been almost battering me over the head!), whereby if I have a divinatory thought and look around the immediate environment, then if the number appears either as itself or in some other permutation, say 227 (2+2=4, 7), or even say 53 (100-47=53; 53 is also a prime number; with time I subtract from 60, so the corresponding number is 13 rather than 53) then I can know that that thought was indeed a clairvoyant idea.

It works so far with trivial things, though making predictions about politics always involves a time lapse; it is also this time lapse which makes me seem mad to my colleagues but usually has them beating a path to my door when they realise I was right all along! I am awaiting the outcome of my predictions with baited breath as the ultimate "I told you so" will be of cosmic proportions...!!!

Crowqueen

And of course the key to successful divination from nature/external environment is spontaneity. If you have too much of a routine then you can't have the experiences you need to "shuffle" the universe!

Balsamo

I used Sensory Deprivation regularly for several years, but never in specific conjunction with reading, or with my creative life. The same can be said about various psychoactives.

There are times when altered states of conciousness are useful for mental "hygene", and times when they are great recreation. But to couple these things with the practice of a discipline is to hobble yourself, and your ability to use the discipline.

If you were only ever going to use the cards once in your life; at a moment of supreme transformation; then perhaps getting out of your skull would be useful.

But as a part of a regular activity - one that is to lead to personal growth and a better understanding of life? I'd be cautious about that.

raeanne

Balsamo said:
But as a part of a regular activity - one that is to lead to personal growth and a better understanding of life? I'd be cautious about that.

Hi Balsamo,
Either I'm not understanding what you mean or you have misunderstood me. Why would there need to be any caution for an activity that 'leads to personal growth and a better undertanding of life?' I'm not talking about drugs or any illegal activity. Could you please explain what you are offering a caution about? Thanks.

psychic sue

What works best for me is darkness. My clairvoiyance really seems to kick in then. I've got get around this though, in time, because if I am working as a medium I can't do it in the dark!

I also use a CD called "Vibrational Overtones" - it has chanting (AUM in particular is wonderful) and also instruments like Sitars and Didgeridoos. That also can take me almost out of my body.

Sue x

Milfoil

I am experimenting with Biurnal beats, drumming, chanting, tibetan singing bowl sounds etc as an aid to helping me recognise subtle differences of conciousness. There have been some interesting results but nothing as significant as meditation, plain and simple.

The age old techniques of prana/breathing meditations, stilling the mind, learning the difference between different concious states have, for me, been the most important.

I think what balsamo means when stating this:

balsamo said:
There are times when altered states of conciousness are useful for mental "hygene", and times when they are great recreation. But to couple these things with the practice of a discipline is to hobble yourself, and your ability to use the discipline.

is that its like depending on a drug regularly when there is no need; like feeling that we 'need' a drink to help us with the stress of the day when really there are other methods which give better, longer lasting ways of dealing with it.

Using such things as a tool to learn some initiall elements is fine, but relying on them for longterm growth may eventually be very limiting.

I, like Sue, find darkness and silence to be much more conductive (easier) to meditation. Sensory depravation is much like this, it forces us, eventually to cut out all the surface stuff and open up to other areas. At some point, however, we have to move on from that and learn to train the mind in more difficult circumstances (I haven't mastered it yet but I'm working on it).

Balsamo

Milfoil has done a better job explaining my intentions than I did; and this presumes that you mean "altered state" as opposed to simply "calm and reflective" - which is a useful state to cultivate for the cards, and many other tasks.

raeanne

Hi all,
I guess when I asked if anyone uses altered states 'in combination' with divination, I may have been misunderstood. I don't mean trying to read tarot while in the altered state which I think would probably be impossible, at least for the types of altered states that I am familiar with. What I was meaning was using an altered state technique as an aid to increase your skills as a reader or other divination method. I specifically purchased my Light/Sound machine to increase my abilities in creative visualization and intuition. By using the Light/Sound machine I have greatly increased my skills in these areas when I am not using the machine. To me it is like using a weight bench to increase your strength. I don't you would say that the weight bench 'hobbles' your athletic abilities or that relying on it for long term growth would be limiting. I'm not trying to be difficult, I really want to understand what you are saying.

Milfoil

raeanne said:
By using the Light/Sound machine I have greatly increased my skills in these areas when I am not using the machine. To me it is like using a weight bench to increase your strength. I don't you would say that the weight bench 'hobbles' your athletic abilities or that relying on it for long term growth would be limiting. I'm not trying to be difficult, I really want to understand what you are saying.

Its ok raeanne, I don't think you are being difficult at all. :)

As I have already said, I am also trying different 'tools' to see the effects on awareness and psychic ability. What I personally, don't want to do is to rely on these tools so much that when I want to develop further or in a slightly different way, I have to go back to square one and learn how to do it the old fashioned way. So I'm doing both!

Just like using weights to increase ones strength, it only works in a very defined way (certain muscle groups). Weight training needs to be used in conjunction with aerobic excersise, balance training, stretching, breathing excersises etc etc to become a fully rounded athlete.

So what I mean is that the altered state tool you are using is great, its given you confidence and helped you develop but its not the only way to develop.

I'm no expert, these are just my opinions so if you feel that this is right for you then go for it. Its certainly no critisism of your preferences. :)