Altered states and developing deeper intuition

Ffortiwn

In recent weeks I've been thinking about exploring the use of a tank for a therapeutic modality. I had thought about including esoteric practices as a support mechanism but hadn't considered divination yet. When done prior to or after, I can imagine what an interesting way that would be to galvanize or extend the experience!

Right now the biggest issue for me is the expense of buying a tank or the time/effort it would take to learn how to make one. Has anyone looked into this and found an affordable supplier?

Edit: Re-read first post and stripped my own post of the idea of doing tarot in the tank, since no one is actually proposing it.

Milfoil

bradford said:
If somebody would bother to look at the subject of the huge surge in populatity of the Tarot and the Yijing that took off in the fifties and sixties, they would find none other than the venerable Albert Hofmann at the very center of that cultural revolution.

So what was the comment about Albert Hofmann all about then?

You seem to be quite heated about all this as though someone has deliberately set out to hide some kind of fundamental truth. Perhaps you could help us to learn? I don't profess to know a great deal about this subject but you clearly know a great deal - would you like to share that knowledge?

bradford

I Have been talking about Altered States relative to divination.
That's what the thread is named.
Maybe she could change the subject title to
"Altered Moods and developing deeper intuition with socially acceptable, non-threatening methods"
Then I'd stay away.

Ffortiwn

Titles aside, now that the topic of this thread has been clarified for those who have posted in it, can we resume discussion? Either way, I'll happily monitor two threads, or three, to keep tabs on all aspects of this discussion.

Alta

bradford said:
Maybe she could change the subject title to
"Altered Moods and developing deeper intuition with socially acceptable, non-threatening methods"
Then I'd stay away.
The title is somewhat general, but the initial post made the thread starter's intention clear.

raeanne

bradford said:

Bradford
No, that is not the name of this thread! The title is: "Altered states and developing deeper intuition". I have stated that I have no problems with discussing any of the many forms of altered states. I personally feel that it is difficult for people to share personal experience of an illegal nature in a public forum. Since there are many other ways of producing altered states, I felt it would be more prudent to focus on those methods. I do feel that this thread is being hijacked. I started it as a place where people could share their experiences and how it has helped them with their divination skills. If you have a specific experience you want to share then please do so. If you want to discuss the pros/cons of altered states or some other topic, please start your own thread.

Crowqueen

To get it back on track - has anyone had a nap but "woke up" realising they had actually just been in a deep, deep meditation state? That seems to be at least as "altered" a state as anything artificially induced.

It's happened to me more and more recently and I wondered if it was anything to do with starting to explore and harness mental powers?

MeeWah

Meditation

Personally, the practice of meditation promotes the general awareness & the intuitive through an altered state of consciousness--though those qualities were not the original nor are they the present purpose for meditating on a daily basis--but that of achieving internal balance & harmony.

Meditation can effectively block out the extraneous distractions & stray thoughts, but as with any endeavour, it takes practice & time to develop a singular focus; to achieve 'the silence'. (Such as may be achieved with the use of a light/sound machine.) The fringe benefits include the internal harmony, the improved focus, self-awareness & other.

What I have also noticed is that the meditative state can also be acccessed as if automatically or involuntarily via any focussed activity where the mind is free from the distractive. In practical applications, most frequently manifested &/or recognized as a 'reading mode'.

raeanne

forteanajones said:
In recent weeks I've been thinking about exploring the use of a tank for a therapeutic modality. I had thought about including esoteric practices as a support mechanism but hadn't considered divination yet. When done prior to or after, I can imagine what an interesting way that would be to galvanize or extend the experience!

Right now the biggest issue for me is the expense of buying a tank or the time/effort it would take to learn how to make one. Has anyone looked into this and found an affordable supplier?

Edit: Re-read first post and stripped my own post of the idea of doing tarot in the tank, since no one is actually proposing it.

Hi Forteanajones,
Could you explain what you mean by "therapeutic modality"? I'm only guessing that you mean a "method of treatment" but that could be a limited definition on my part and opens up a whole range of 'treatment for what' type questions. I would like to know, in general terms, what you want to accomplish by using the tank. I certainly accept the goal of "recreation" as being valid. Have you had the experince before? If so, what was it like? These are the kinds of things I would like this thread to be about. To be honest, I don't know very much about sensory deprivation tanks. I have read a little bit and I also remember the episode of the Simpson where Lisa and Homer each have an experience in a tank. From what I have read it sounds like an interesting experience. Let me know if you have been in a tank and what your experience was like and if you think it is beneficial for developing divination skills. Many, many years ago (back before my second marriage which was in 1980) I tried to put a bunch of epsom salt in a bath tub but it didn't work well at all. I have a tendancy to get panic attacks if I feel trapped (not claustrophobia since small place don't bother me if I know I can get out if I need to) so I not sure if I would do well in a tank but I'm still curious and would love to hear more about your plans.