Altered states and developing deeper intuition

Balsamo

During the early 90's, I lived in North London - Hackney.

There was a place with Flotation tanks South of the River - we went there every several months over about 4 years. It was the BEST Jet Lag cure in the world, always left me feeling high and happy, loose and ready.

During that time, I wasn't using any oracles - we were fulfilling a series of promises, making plans and executing - basically, any oracle will tell you to keep on moving forward if you have a good plan.

Most of our social contacts at the time were in similar shoes; none of them now, in fact, reside in London.

The Flotation Tank experience wasn't part of building my intuition; it was helpful in maintaining my equalibrium.

But it was an excellent mental exercise, wonderfully refreshing; I wish I had access to a tank at regular intervals these days.

Balsamo

The best tool I've found for building intuition is meeting new people; watching the crowd; business and congress and just learning which way the ball is likely to bounce.

While maintaining a straight face.

raeanne

Hi Balsamo,
Thank you for sharing your experience. It's niced to hear that the tank helped with jet lag. A friend of mine does a lot of long distant traveling. I will let her know about this. I'm sure she will be delighted! Last time she came home from Hawaii she was almost a week recovering from jet lag. (Ok, I know that sounds like a long time to all you young pups but when you get to be a member of the over 50 crowd, well, the body just doesn't respond like it used to. He, he, he.)

Balsamo

In general, I travel well - but long flights REALLY take it out of me.

Enough sleep, and good food, and tricks like Flotation tanks, saunas, nice bits of woodland to walk or run in - and I manage.

Milfoil

I'd love to try a session in a floatation tank it sounds like it makes meditation easier by removing all stimuli (well 99%). I've got a few questions:

How long do you think it takes you to completely relax and stop all the mental chatter?

What sort of (if any) visual experiences have you had whilst in a floatation tank?

Balsamo

The sessions I've spent in tanks have been 45 minutes to an hour - plenty of time to relax.

No visual element; but odd spacial illusions, like tumbling end - over - end, and not really being to tell which way is up. Cool stuff. Disorienting.

Milfoil

Cool - I wonder if its possible to replicate this sort of thing in a domestic environment? (I hear these tanks are not the cheapest of things!!)

I have some wonderful experiences of colour, shapes, movement & even images sometimes whilst meditating. Its incredibly liberating and almost like stepping through the 'rabbit hole' sometimes.

Working with Biurnal beats together with other shamanic drumming/vibrational sounds such as Tibetan singing bowls etc I have also experienced much quicker realisation of this 'zone'.

I'd love a try in one of these depravation tanks but the nearest must probably be over 200 miles away!

mingbop

millie you should just come up here on a wet sunday. that takes sensory deprivation to new heights...

Balsamo

"Cool - I wonder if its possible to replicate this sort of thing in a domestic environment? (I hear these tanks are not the cheapest of things!!)"

Well, you need a space to float in that's large enough so that you don't bump the sides... and to be able to maintain the temperature.

Short of that, I'd recommend regular meditation - that's free.

Milfoil

mingbop said:
millie you should just come up here on a wet sunday. that takes sensory deprivation to new heights...

LMAO

I might take you up on that one day! ;)