Nines

Little Baron

Just looking at the four 'nines'.

Could they have anything to do with loneliness?

The woman in the garden is all alone, aside from the hooded bird, which might suggest cutting herself off.

The person in the bed has only nightmares as company, and nobody to comfort her.

The guy infront of the table is satisfied but has nobody to share his fortune with.

The bandaged bloke in the 'wands' card defends what he has, all by himself.

I know that there are other lone figures in the deck, but they just got me thinking that maybe solitude had something to do with the series.

Any ideas. Tell me I am an idiot.

LB

Knight of Wands

Well, the 9's are connected to the Hermit...

Little Baron

Thanks Knight of Wands.

I told you I am an idiot. I wasn't even thinking about that. It has been a busy day, lol.

LB (The idiot)

Knight of Wands

LOL, You're definatly not an idiot LB.

Perhaps the 9's suggest spending time alone with the element, finding it out for yourself. 9's also suggest completion, perhaps to truly complete the element, we must, like The Hermit, discover it for ourselves.

tmgrl2

I do see the loneliness, LB...but I also think of the Nines...as being somewhat bittersweet, as the journey from one to 10, has moved into the final stages of completion...and, for me, that is a bittersweet time...

Sort of like the prom or graduation for students leaving high school or college....

Some worries, some loneliness, achievement and stock-taking time, but also almost finished...success.

terri

Little Baron

Thanks Terri.

I see a '9' as a bit like preperation; getting stuff in order for that big '10'. And that can be a lonely time, like you say, because maybe you have to do 'this' alone.

LB

firecatpickles

Yes, to all mentioned heretofore.

It is lonely at the top, LB. The woman in her garden is completely satisfied, but she is alone. Even the miserable creature in the Five of Pents has someone with h/er.

The Nine here can also be achieved through three three's (3*3 = 9) which, according to Book "T," means lies and deception. Could this card be a warning of not only the loneliness at the top, but also avoiding achievement through ill-gotten means?

Growing up lower middle class perhaps I am a bit suspicious of people with money and thus cynical.

But, well, there it is.

K:spade:K

michmm

kilts_knave said:
It is lonely at the top, LB. The woman in her garden is completely satisfied, but she is alone. Even the miserable creature in the Five of Pents has someone with h/er.

yup, very astute! atleast in 5 of pentacles, she/he is not alone in their misery!!!!
which is worse... being alone in good times or in bad times???!!!

michmm

LittleBuddha said:
Just looking at the four 'nines'.

Could they have anything to do with loneliness?

The woman in the garden is all alone, aside from the hooded bird, which might suggest cutting herself off.

The person in the bed has only nightmares as company, and nobody to comfort her.

The guy infront of the table is satisfied but has nobody to share his fortune with.

The bandaged bloke in the 'wands' card defends what he has, all by himself.

I know that there are other lone figures in the deck, but they just got me thinking that maybe solitude had something to do with the series.

Any ideas. Tell me I am an idiot.

LB

No, Little Buddha, You are NOT an Idiot!!! You have very rightly pointed out a very very important point... i have always looked at 9 of pentacles as a lonely lady, husband away for long periods of time and she is devoid of company, despite her luxuries and money!@!#@$!@! poor thing...
but i did not really pay attention to the other nines.
you have brought out a very valid point!
thanks

Crowqueen

The Morgan-Greer - an RW-inspired deck - has the IX of Pentacles as a satisfied, almost greedy or selfish looking woman enjoying her garden and falcon alone, a bit like the heroine of "Mary, Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow". Perhaps a rich widow trying to ensnare someone with her dowry, so she can enjoy the genuine contentment of the X?