What would be a good book for a beginner?

Phantom Goddess

I adore Power Tarot and Tarot: Plain and Simple.

Sulis

The Complete Tarot Reader by Teresa Michelsen http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...f=pd_bbs_1/103-9013880-9628635?_encoding=UTF8
You won't find any card definitions in here, she teaches you how to read, how to get the meanings from the cards yourself. She doesn't give you a load of keywords to learn parrot fashion, she offers you different ways of getting meanings from the cards and then invites you to take what you want and leave what you don't want.
Court cards, reversals elemental dignities, numerology - it's all covered.

I reckon this is one of the best 'how to read tarot' books that I've read.

Umbrae

A Blank notebook, a pencil, and a shapener...

Of course I also think that 'One Hundred Years of Solitude' should not be missed...

minimonster777

I've always liked Power Tarot by Trish MacGregor and Phyllis Vega. I love how they analyze each card in many different ways, such as a romantic interpretation, a health interpretation, a finance interpretation..plus the 100+ spreads in the spreads index at the back are a lot of fun!

Raene

I have Mary Greer: Tarot for Yourself and am getting a lot out of it. The workbook format really helps make the suggested activities meaningful.

tarotbear

My favorite beginner's book is "It's All in the Cards;Tarot Reading Made Easy" ISBN 1-4027-0986-2

ben1984

I agree with tarotbear. I also have that book and I have just started reading and I have found it very helpful.