21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card

Grizabella

Does anyone have the book 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card by Mary Greer? If you do, what do you think of it? Is it really helpful?

Rhiannon

Just got it for my b-day, but I'm in the middle of reading 1 fiction, 1 memoir and 2 witchcraft books! Oy! So, I just haven't had too much time to delve into it.

I'll return & post once I've actually picked it up. :)

TemperanceAngel

Hi Lyric
I have not read the book, but I did a workshop with Mary Greer before it was released. We did not do 21 ways, maybe fitted fitted in about 11. It was interesting and opened up new ways to look at cards in readings, or different ways on how to read them.
I can imagine that the book would be excellent reading, like the workshop!!

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=53619&highlight=21

Here's another thread about the book :)

Bonnie

Helpful Book

I have this book, and found it to be easy to read, and easy to understand. It is meant to open up the process for all readers, something that I feel that it accomplishes. Not everything in this book will resonate with everyone, but then my approach to all things is to take away what serves me well, and leave the rest behind.

This is an excellent resource book - not just a one time read.

aranarose

I just got this book a couple of weeks ago and am just now getting around to starting it. I've gotten through the first activity, choosing your card and saying it's name....

It starts out very, very basic, but I think that's something we all need to do every once in awhile. I like Ms. Greer's Tarot For Yourself, have been slowly working through that for about a year or so.

You can go as in depth and advanced as you want with this book, each "way" to read the card has multiple levels of difficulty and depth. From what I've read of it so far it's a great book for beginners and experienced readers alike.

sunstallion

very time consuming

I looked at this book at Barnes and Noble, but didnt buy it. I can only tell you that it is very very very extremely time consuming. It looks like a good book to me though, but requires a lot of time.

I just cant devote that much time to practice tarot. Mary Greer divides 21 ways into 21 steps, but there are more than one exercise in each step. If you have to work with all 78 cards, 78 x at least 21, that takes a lot of time.

shadowdancer

I too have started to read this book. I think it does open a few more avenues of exploration, particularly with getting the querant to have a more active part in the reading. Overall though, I do find her books sometimes a little too heavy to take on in anything other than small chunks.

Always well written and very insightful though. Definitely something for all of us regardless of level and experience.

Davina

crazy raven

sunstallion said:
I looked at this book at Barnes and Noble, but didnt buy it. I can only tell you that it is very very very extremely time consuming. It looks like a good book to me though, but requires a lot of time.

I just cant devote that much time to practice tarot. Mary Greer divides 21 ways into 21 steps, but there are more than one exercise in each step. If you have to work with all 78 cards, 78 x at least 21, that takes a lot of time.

I have to agree with sunstallion, I looked at this book at a Chapter's store. It's loaded with great exercises and interesting ways to look at the cards but it is just too time consuming.

crazy raven

aquanesha

crazy raven said:
I have to agree with sunstallion, I looked at this book at a Chapter's store. It's loaded with great exercises and interesting ways to look at the cards but it is just too time consuming.

crazy raven

I was wondering as I would believe that usually we aren't just reading for ourselves. I'm sure most of us read for others.

But, if practicing how to interpret a card in different ways is too time consuming, then shouldn't we not offer our services to others.

It's like say you need an operation, you aren't gonna want some surgeon who thought practicing the operation was too time consuming to operate on you. You're gonna want the one who took the time to learn and practice to operate on you.

Just a thought.

shadowdancer

My my two pennyworth I think it is worth getting and reading.

It is always down to the individual to decide which techniques they feel happy with, and which they feel are not for them.
I did get a lot out of the book, and yes, it has added more tools I can use for readings. That can't be a bad thing.

I will admit a handful of techniques I did not 'click' with and won't be using them. However, somebody else might find they are the ones they can use to great benefit.

We are all different for sure, and that is the great thing about this world of tarot - the same basic tool is used to good effect in so many difffernt ways by each and every one of us.

With regards the exercises being time consuming, in fairness at first glance it does look as though there is months and months of work involved.
However, when you read the book there is no need or requirement to do each and every exercise before progressing. I hope that helps those who are interested but feel put off by the sheer volume of exercises included. Even if you take just one technique and add it to your own, I think it is worth it.

There are 21 shown, but I can't think of anyone who would actually use all 21 as a matter of course. Heck a one card reading would take all day....lol

Davina