Problems with being an empath

Indigo Rose

angelegg said:
anyway, i'm babbling, but i just wanted to say how relieved i feel. i feel almost as relieved as i did when i found out the term "empath" before. it's nice to know that there are others out there who experience these exact events/feelings and there are names for them. sure, maybe it's just a nice, "magical" way of describing "depression" or a certain personality disorder, but... i dunno... part of me thinks there's something much more to it, especially since i've had-- and continually have-- such freaky psychic and unexplainable events happen all of the time.

Don't let the labels and psycho babel of modern Psychology/Psychiatry/Science rob you of your spirituality and natural psychic gifts. Science can't and I don't believe ever will be able to explain everything. There is a spiritual realm, and I believe there is a God. I realize that is something each person has to come to terms with on their own time and in their own way. However, at some point in each life there comes a realization that there is more to life than what we can scientifically ascertain. Our ancestors...pre-Science days...they 'knew' that the spiritual forces were real and guiding life on planet earth. How we ever divorced ourselves from this truth is really baffling to me!

Don't deny your experiences or your gifts; embrace them. Since I responded to this thread in June of 06, I've grown a lot. This comes from learning to accept who I am and work with what I've been given. I have stopped trying to squeeze myself into a mold cast by people who don't even acknowledge spirituality and psychic abilities. There will always be naysayers and those who just want to call things they don't understand or can't explain...'crazy'. It's amazing to me how many people in history were thought to be 'crazy' for things they 'saw' and foreknew...only to find out they were right all along. :bugeyed:

Indigo Rose

angelegg said:
i dunno... this may all chalk up to be coincidence, but, once again, i FELT something-- something unexplainable. sure, coulda just been hormones and stress-- who knows? i told people different reasons why i was upset that day-- but i didn't tell anyone the real reason until now b/c i knew no one would understand. i mean, my husband knows i'm pretty "psychic" at times, but i didn't think even he'd understand the empathic tendencies i have of picking up other peoples' energies. so i thought throwing it out here would help get me some feedback (hopefully) and any advice for how to deal with these sorta instances.

so i guess my question is, do you guys think it's all coincidence? do you think all of these things just happened to coincide and i was getting all hormonal, or do you think this was an empathic experience? to me, it felt confusing and powerful like a random empathic surge would feel like. i guess if i learned more about what happened that day, maybe it could help me piece together why i was so upset. who knows.

anyway, any thoughts and comments are appreciated. thanks.

(((angelegg)))Honey this is no coincidence!! You are an empath and you are going through an awakening. This has happened to many of us here on AT who are empaths: dreams...physical sensations...emotional disturbances...actual precognitive visions....this is normal for the empath. Many people will not understand, because it's never happened to them. It can sometimes make you feel like your going 'crazy'. You are not! I've found the more I take in my feelings...acknowledge them...and allow things to unfold...the less distressed I get about them. At first I would become physically ill after these events...sometimes still get under the weather...but as I've learned how to deal with my feelings, I've gotten better at handling the messages or promptings I get.

Angel we are here for you. If there is any place you will find kindred souls in this journey, it's here on AT. :love:

The Feelings

The Reason

Indigo Rose

angelegg said:
thanks for reading this. and thanks once again, indigo, for sharing with me and helping me out. i appreciate it.

Hey Angel...you are welcome! :) I think the journal idea is a good one. I keep one and it really helps. Speaking of having hard times, I've noticed that my abilities have intensified because of having hard times. It seems the harder, the more I am forced to TRUST. For me that means belief in God, as I see these empathic experiences as gifts of Divine origin...given to assist us and demonstrate the reality of the Spirit.

Learning to let go is the hardest lesson. One I am still learning. However, so far I have noticed this: the more I let go...the more I grow.

:heart:

memries

I have found much support and interesting happenings and comments on this thread. I suppose I handle my empathy in a sort of Hermit way. Don't tell, just adjust yourself to circumstances, etc.

The maximum I can stay at a party or in a crowd is five hours then that's it. I get totally drained. I am ok if I can get off and have a few breaks but when travelling or on a plane, it is not good for me. Even in a house party at home and my own family I escape upstairs to my bedroom for a while. It is just all too much sometimes.

Shopping centers at Christmas.. oh my.. I know it is hard for everyone anyway. I go early and come home rapidly.

What I really hate is those benches in an airport where someone's back is to you and your auras are overlapping. I would rather stand. Line up's, awful, everyone so close.

It took me years to realise I was an Empath just thought I was odd. Once you can acknowledge it, life becomes better. I do protect myself but even then when there is some trauma it is hard.

PisceanRedhead

For a long time I've been able to read people in a sense that I get a vibe from them that gives me an idea of how they're feeling. Lately, however, I've been finding that I'm taking on some of the emotions, even minor physical ailments (ie: colds/flu or feeling like I've got a bruise with no phyiscal indicator of such), of people that I love. Sometimes I'll be sad out of the blue and crying my eyes out, only to stop 5 minutes later with a feeling of peace... not happy, not sad. Or I'll feel happy or silly on a whim... or I'll be frustrated or irritated when there's nothing in my immediate environment to cause it.

I have experienced certain things like those mentioned in one of Scorpiana's threads...
* extreme sensitivity to others feelings and moods
I don't know if I'd call it extreme... but I'm definitely sensitive to other people's energies.
* dislike of crowds because there is too much energy
* feeling "different" and isolated
* often drained dry by the problems of others
These are off and on for me. Sometimes there is more of an impact on me than others. Sometimes I want to be around a bunch of people, and other times you couldn't pay me to stay in a packed room for more than 15 minutes.
* often in troubled relationships out of need to help and "save" those they love
Now, I've been in a relationship that once it turned towards "potentially abusive" I high-tailed it outta there. But in general, I'm a believer in hope, faith, and love and will often find myself waiting and seeing when others have written the person/situation off as a lost cause. I have been disappointed at times, but more often that not, I have been incredibly happy that I stayed the course.
* affinity for animals and plants
Although my green thumb is lacking a bit... I do have a natural draw towards animals, and they to me (or so it seems).
* feeling that they are strong enough to take hits for others and absorb hurtful things for those they love.
I have always been fiercely loyal to those I love and have, in the past, made every attempt to deflect the anger/irritation/frustration intended for someone I'm close to away from them and onto myself.

So does what does this make me? Just me I guess... I don't know that I'm a "lightworker" persay... I do think I'm an empath however and am finding as I get older that the energies around me do tend to wear me out a bit more... things that help me are exercise and happy times around those I love. Now that the holidays are so close, there should be plenty of happy times in store... and plenty of calories... so perhaps I'd better stick to exercise! ;)

memries

You are describing what happens to me too Picean Redhead. It is very close.

I cannot say I have had an abusive relationship as I would take off too.