Book list.

truthsayer

my votes would be
1. tarot for yourself; greer
2. tarot and the journey of the hero by hajo(and the one he did on the thoth deck is also excellent)
3. learning the tarot by joan bunning
4. choice centered tarot by gail fairfield
5. 78 degrees of wisdom

my next suggestion would be if we buy any of the books compiled on this list then we must promise to buy these books from sites like amazon that support aeclectic forums.

Jewel

I concurr with the books listed above but would also like to recommend a little known treasure I found ... The Truth About Tarot by Gerald Suster. It is short, sweet, to the point, and very clearly written ... my only criticism of it are the last 4 or 5 pages.

In order:
1. Tarot for Yourself
2. Tarot Constellations
3. The Truth About Tarot
4. 78 Degrees of Wisdom
5. And a book I have by Paul Foster Case which I cannot remember its name at the moment (will post later).
6. Qabalistic Tarot

Love & Light,

colinmcq

Tarot Theory and Practice by Ly de Angeles

Tarot Theory and Practice by Ly de Angeles i would recomend this book best book I have ever read could not put it down from start to finish very in depth though very insightfull fantastic book. can get it from Amazon or llewelyn.com. amazing book just new out. or in uk from waterstones for £16.50

Glass Owl

I don't really have that many Tarot books but here are some from my collection that have helped me.

Tarot For Yourself by Mark K. Greer

Tarot Shadow Work by Christine Jette

Tarot Tells The Tale by James Ricklef

Tarot Get The Whole Story by James Ricklef

What's In The Cards For You by Mark McElroy

The Heart of Tarot by Sandra A. Thomson, Robert E. Mueller, and Signe E. Echols

callistoluna

Depending upon what you're after really..there are a LOT of brilliant books out there. Some of my personal favorites are

Tarot for Yourself (MK Greer) -a great book full of activities to familiarise yourself with Tarot. One of the first I ever got and it is inspiring.

Tarot Reversals (MK Greer) - great reference book for meanings etc. I have two copies now because my first one is so dog earred!

Tarot and the Tree of Life (Isabel Kliegman)- a bit of Qabalah (the way us chickens spell it!) and a great read centred on the minor arcana. I like the way she writes. I may not agree with everything in the book but I like her spunk as it comes through very clearly in her book....can't wait for the major arcana one which I think is currently in the works.....

Tarot Tells the Tale (James Ricklef) - also a fantastic read based on historical/fictional characters and reading for their situations. Goes into reversed cards, posing questions and concentrates on the 3 card spread.

Understanding the Tarot Court (MK Greer and Tom Little) - excellent to use for getting to know your court cards.

I hope this helps!

sapienza

To start off, I'd recommend:

'Tarot: History, Symbolism and Divination' by Robert Place
'Mystical Origins of the Tarot' by Paul Huson
'A Renaissance Tarot' by Brian Williams

...and if you are interested in working specifically with Crowley's Thoth deck then 'Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot' and 'The Chicken Qabalah', both by Lon Milo DuQuette, are a great place to start before taking on Crowley's 'Book of Thoth'.