tarot tells the tale - boy what a good book!

shadowdancer

just finished reading it. I was totally bowled over by how enlightening it was. Shows how even after years of reading a fresh approach and view point can open up yet more doors of awareness.

I have always avoided 3 card spreads - pah, what good are they (was my rather arrogant viewpoint) How much detail will there be in 3 cards?? Why only use 3 when you can use 10.

Well, I am suitably humbled, and suitably educated.

This book is excellent. Even the Celtic Cross enlightened me in a way I had not really considered. Ithink it made me realise we are all guilty of 'seeing' but not necessarily 'noticing'

The end result is I now have over 40 3 card spreads indexed from various sources, and now have a separate box of tarot cards to use purely for such readings. These include a couple of the author's choices, plus the New Vision and Sharman Casselli decks.

Suffice to say I now am mentally drawing up a shortlist of celebrities, characters from sport, fiction etc to have a trial run with before letting loose with the readings on genuine clients.

For those of you who are looking around for some good books to help you re-invent yourself, give this a go. For those who have read it, what did you think?

Davina

Umbrae

One of the few books I recommend. James Ricklef is a brilliant writer.

Superficially the book appears to be about three card spreads, and their power – but ultimately the book is about ‘how to read’, how to unfold the story, and learning to do so by beginning with three cards.

Little Baron

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll keep an eye out for it.

LB

tmgrl2

What I loved, also, about this book, is the opportunity to practice doing the reading about the fictitious or deceased person before you read the author's take on it...great fun!!

terri

Sulis

It's an excellent book - one that I always recommend too.

This is one of those books that never gets put back onto the bookshelf :)

Another book with an interesting (and good) way to look at 3 card spread is Robert Place's 'The Tarot: History, Symbolism and Divination' - I think James Ricklef mentions it in his book.

shadowdancer

well, I cannot explain how excited I am now, and cannot wait for the postman to deliver my mini Universal deck.

Once arrived and bonded with I will then be looking to practise the techniques using people from fiction, fairy tale, sport and TV soap dramas.

My list is quite varied, but it will be interesting to see how it works. My main concern is the fact I know the outcome, so I must be as objective as possible doing this. Won't be easy but the pay off in future use will be worth it.

I have tried not to go for the easy characters either. Pauline Fowler from Eastenders is going to be a tricky one!

For those of you who have read the book you will know where I am coming from. Those of you who haven't a clue about my rantings, just ignore me totally.... :D

Knight of Wands

Love this book :) :)

Sheri

I got this book a few months ago! It is great!!! I loved the humor in the readings for the "famous" people! The book gave me insight into properly phrasing questions, how powerful 3 card spreads can be, and how I could format the documentation of my own readings better.

I highly recommend it to anyone! :thumbsup:

valeria :D

shadowdancer

Well Valeria I second that!

I have come up with a list of 15 'people' (fictional, tv characters etc and a couple of current celebrities) to practise with.

I had a go at reading for the first two today who have had roller coaster emotions of late.

Using the techniques and style of doing the 3 card reading I was blown away at how much more information was forthcoming. I probably got more out of those 3 simple cards than I would have done following a rigid 5, 7, or any other type of spread.

I have never used 3 card spreads before, always pooh-poohing them thinking they would be worthless. Talk about having a massive re-think. Goes to show we are always going to be learning regarding the use of tarot, regardless of how many years we have been at it! I have learned a lot in just these 2 practise runs, and can't wait to do a few more. Even after I closed the word document down, other ideas popped into my head which I had to write down immediately. I think it is teaching me to not just notice the cards, but really live the story a bit more if that makes sense.

Definitely this book was worth its weight in gold, and will never appear on a trade list :D

Davina

connegrl

Wow! I have to say this is an excellent book on how to read. As a beginner, I don't want to try reading more than 5 cards. TMI. But, since I only read for myself, I often feel that I've hit a brick wall. This has really opened things up for me. Its getting easier and easier to phrase questions and come up with questions. I have my own arsenal of 3 card spreads now and I feel confident that I can create my own when the situation calls for it. Once school starts back up and I have time to myself, I'm going to start doing readings for all my favorite Sopranos characters. Ohhhh....Deadwood too.

This is a must have!

Jen