tarot tells the tale - boy what a good book!

Owl Song

I seriously need to stop browsing this forum. It's costing me money.

I have been wanting to work more with 3 card spreads. When I read that the book aids you in becoming more fluent with them, I was sorely tempted to purchase it.

When I read that Umbrae endorses this book--I was sold. ;)

I just ordered a copy for $2.59 from Amazon Marketplace. It came to $6.08 with shipping. Can't beat that.

Deana

I am the lone dissenter. I didn't like the book.

I liked the idea. Enough to buy the book. I liked the writing. Enough to buy another book by the author.

But this book didn't do it for me. I actually disliked his readings. I laid out the cards and did my own readings and then I read his. His were so different from my own that I couldn't believe we were looking at the same cards. I also felt that already knowing the outcomes affected the readings; he definitely said things in his readings that he would certainly not have said if he hadn't been sure of the outcome. I'm sure he was trying to be impartial, but maybe it's not possible if you already know too much about the outcome.

The true value of the book is that it's different. Goodness knows we need some innovative Tarot books.

shadowdancer

Deana I do see where you are coming from, but I think that is the same for any reading. 6 of us could have the same set of cards in front of us, and all read them differently. That is why I did not actually use his same readings and cards to judge against. It would be like criticing a fellow readers interpretations which is always going to be contentious. BUT... I do take your point that knowing the outcome is always going to pose the question of objectivity.

I have actually done 30 of these '3 -card' readings on past celebrities, historical figures etc... but have also included a few soap-opera characters based on their current story lines. With those readings, I have no idea what the outcome is, as I have no idea of how the script writers are planning over a period of time. I think for them, it is interesting to then compare a few months down the line.

As an exercise, using the methods and techniques from the book, I am having a whole bundle of fun.

For those in the UK, I have done readings for people like Rodney Trotter, Pauline Fowler, Martin Fowler, Stacey Miller, Dr Who, Nick Jordon to name a few. They were great to do, and the fun part was writing the letter as if they had written it, using their type of language etc.

It has opened my eyes, and given me another skill.

Davina

Disa

This sounds great. I haven't read it, but it sounds to me that you guys are saying it explains more how the cards relate to each other in a spread. Is this correct? I have so many books that just tell the meaning of a card as an individual, I would love to have one that shows how they relate to each other.

Bean Feasa

I really enjoyed this book. So different and fresh.

Did you notice he has a new one out? Tarot: Get the Whole Story. It seems to be about creating spreads, and also gives details of spreads he's created. Has anyone got it/read it yet?

Deana

I have read his second book. I actually preferred it to Tarot Tells the Tale.

Disa

ordered them both, you guys ARE costing me money ;)

Bean Feasa

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to have it too!

shadowdancer

okay.... you have got me intrigued. :)

I love the Tarot Tells the Tale (not sure if I made that clear :D :D )

For those who have read both books, what will Tarot Get The Whole Story do for me or offer me to keep my excitement levels up?

I am still working through some drama characters etc and loving it. Will the "Get The Whole Story" do the same? Is it something other than just a book offering spreads?

VIews would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Davina

AliatheKnife

i order it too...
^^||
i really should stay away from this forum