Recommend great books on runes, PLEASE !!!

sunstallion

Hi everyone:

I know some of you may have recommend books on runes somewhere in here. I went through the list of threads but still cannot find anyone said anything about a book. It took me hours and hours to read through all the threads. I am tired of going through the very long list of threads again.

If any of you are runes experts, please recommend a few great books.

Thanks

Sophie

A simple search on this forum a few weeks ago came up with two books, which I now bought, and am enjoying:

- The Well of Wyrd, by Edred Thorsson - short, to the point, but very subtle too, and respectful of the world in which the runes were born and used;

- Nordic Runes, Paul Rhys Mountfort - a bigger book, with plenty of mythology as well as common interpretations, keywords, etc.

I find they complement each other very well.

Both books explain methods of runecasting and discuss how to approach our runes, giving background and uses. Mountfort also discusses Rune magic a fair bit, tracing its origin to Odin himself, as an intrinsic part of the use of runes.

I am a beginner, like you, but so far I've found they are good books to work with. Don't forget, also, to consult Umbrae and Kiama's threads on the Elder Futhark - they are well worth it!

Umbrae

Nordic Runes, Paul Rhys Mountfort is a must have.

Teutonic Magic Kveldulf Gundarsson is the #2 book.

Thorsson did a series of books which are all essentially the same information shuffled up differntly to create a different book - editors do that.

Rune Rede by Ruarik Grimnisson is ever popular these days and is readily available - don't buy it. check it out from the library so you can return it when finished.

Fulgour

You do mean the book?

Umbrae said:
...check it out from the library so you can return it when finished.
I agree :) especially in case it's overdue by then!

Mors ultima linea rerum est
(Death is everything's final limit)
~Horace

Umbrae

yeah yeah yeah mr. SmartyPants...but Horace WHO? (LOL) :smoker:

Fulgour

Runey Toons

zazen said:
Quintus Horatius Flaccus?
Hi :) Zazen! Umbrae and I were having a little fun
with his current quotation (see above his avatar).

The gag goes like this, since his quote reads~
Mors ultima linea rerum est
(Death is everything's final limit)
~do you return the book to the library
when it's finished or you're "finished" ;)

~Fulgour, friend of Umbrae,
Rune brothers, mighty Kin.

sunstallion

To Umbrae

Hey Umbrae,

The book "Teutonic Magic" Kveldulf Gundarsson that you recommended is out of print. There are used ones on amazon.com, but it costs at least $38. I am not going to pay $38 for a used book.

Do you know any other books that you recommend ?