One Deck Wonders - REUNION!

inanna_tarot

Some of you may or may not know, that last year (OMG can you believe it was last october?! Time really does fly) A few of us started a practice called 'one deck wonder' - of keeping faithful to only one reading deck over a period of time. See previous threads here..
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=49243

and we had an 'update' here..
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=52089

Is any still keeping faithful? Maybe someone else wants to take up the challenge?

Sezo
x

Flavio

I remember very well the start of the exercise, I did a small version of your remarkable effort with only 78 days.

Congratulations are in order for those who still carry on this exercise

Satori

I fall on my knees before you Sezo. Congratulations.

In spite of my lasting four, count 'em four months with the IIT I learned some valuable lessons. Since then my primary reading deck has been the Old English. So for the majority of my paid readings I use Old English. I did use Tarot of the Secret Forest for a time right after stopping the One Deck exercise, and then received Old English from a dear AT friend and switched.

What came out of the experience for me?
Focus. The ability to work with a deck for a longer period and not just leave it behind when the new flavor of the month was released.

I have noticed that my tastes have changed. Now whether that is the result of the exercise or of the natural way of things, that my taste would have changed anyway, with or without ODW I dunno. But I don't tend to like busy decks as much anymore. I got my hands on a Scapini and felt like it was just too busy for me. I gave up my Templar Tarot and have been thinking of letting my Merryday go. The Merryday is lovely, sweet, fun, and powerful, but again, it isn't what I reach for anymore.

Another deck that I really like is the Alchemical. And I just had a chance to play with the Glastonbury and I loved it. Both seem to carry on with what I love about the IIT but offer a bit more detail. There is a simplicity to the images; with the Glastonbury the colors are so buoyant and joyful while the Alchemical has an austerity and strength.

So I have different tastes, I focus more on one deck at a time, and I like a cleaner more focused deck.

Little Baron

I remember .. I failed miserably.

But I am up for trying again. Really, I am. If I can give up smoking for 7 months, I am sure I can stick with the one deck, can't I? Can't I?????

LB

Little Baron

Is anyone going to start this up again?

I have just began a 78 week study. I started with the Thoth but will probably want a deck with 'less to it' for the remainder. The symbols are a bit much for me at the moment and a little more than I want to digest. Very interesting but I want a deck thats pictures are not quite so loaded.

LB

inanna_tarot

lol well I still cheated - got I just couldnt be sticking to one deck. I had the Druidcraft and the Thoth. Although I have used other decks since then, its not the same as getting either of those out and having a reading - knowing definately what they are saying, how the interact. Because I'm not concentrating so hard the readings just flow and everything fits so much better. I tend to use the Thoth almost exclusively for reading for myself.

I do use oracles though - and I sort of had a mini one oracle wonder of the Faeries and my readings with those have really improved.

Overall, I feel like a proper Tarot reader. I have a certain confidence with my cards. My DC nearly goes every where with me and that feels good to have the cards there. I know some gun enthusiasts say that the gun just becomes part of your hand, a total link between your gun, your arm and your mind - well thats how I feel about my tarot deck (with only a minimum risk of a papercut lol).
For me, tarot isnt something I read, its not something thats a hobby, its totally part of my brain now and how i interpret and breakdown the world into sezo understandable chunks.

:)

Umbrae

I recently finished with 8 months of principally using the Old English (with forays into the here and there as needs required – Highly Recommended especially for the pro or semi pro reader – there is so much to draw from, in nice pastels that help create a warm environment for the sitter).

Before that it was the better part of a year with the ITT (which I believe is the best RWS clone in existence).

Right now I’m split between spending a solid year with TdM (as opposed to using as a secondary deck that comes out a couple times a week) or the Balbi...8-12 months is a long time…

Ohhh and then there's this other one...

:smoker:

Lee

Umbrae said:
Before that it was the better part of a year with the ITT (which I believe is the best RWS clone in existence).
But... but... what about the Hoi Polloi?!? :bugeyed:

-- Lee

Umbrae

Lee said:
But... but... what about the Hoi Polloi?!? :bugeyed:

-- Lee
Funny you should mention that...

Emily

I started off with the Tarot of the Old Path with this study and it was a brand new deck to me, not bought for this study but it suited. I know others used two decks but I just needed to get to grips with at least one deck that I could really get into.

I used the Old Path for just over 6 months and although I did look at a couple of other decks, I didn't read with them - apart from a close call with the Golden Tarot.

I started to branch out a little when I bought the Nigel Jackson and the Northern Shadows - both decks that are in a similar theme to the Old Path.

I really enjoyed my time with the Old Path the only other deck I've been totally loyal to was the Morgan Greer but I never felt equal with this deck. I feel much more at home with the Old Path it fits me and using it for a long length of time has really opened my eyes to the different possibilities of using the cards, I'd never read intuitively but now I'm learning.

I don't think I fell head over heels in love with the Old Path (as I have with other decks) but its a deck that speaks to me and (for once :)) I can understand what its trying to say.

I think this kind of study is a huge benefit especially if you are flitting from deck to deck, like I was, even if you only do it for a few weeks or a month.

I don't think that I'll ever be without an Old Path again, its a firm reading and study favourite but I still enjoy the variety of other decks. :)