How do people feel about altering cards?

sapienza

Just wondering how people feel about the issue of altering or changing cards. Now, I don't mean trimming, even though that is altering. I'm more thinking of making changes to the artwork. For example, I have the Robin Wood deck which I really like, but was never able to read with or really connect with. I figured out eventually that it was because there were too many blondes in the deck. No offense to blondes, but I just couldn't relate to it. So....after much umming and ahhing, I finally got a brown permanent marker and re-coloured a lot of the blondes to make them brunettes. I guess it sounds crazy but it seems to be working for me. I just did a few at first but now I've done quite a lot and the deck seems to be growing in it's appeal to me.

There is of course a part of me that feels really bad. Kind of like I've dishonoured the artists work somehow. But now I get so much more from the deck, I just feel like I've personalised it a bit.

How do others feel? Has anyone else made changes to any of their decks that have cards they didn't like or couldn't relate to?

Rosanne

Yes I have altered the V Card in the Osho Zen. I have no problem with altering an image- although it would take the value(money) away from the deck. They are images on Card to bring out a response from you so that you can read the card; so if they don't ellicit a good response- get another deck or do as you have done and alter the card. It seems to me to be that simple. I do not view the cards themselves as sacred. I would not alter an expensive deck (and most are to me) say the Menghello Vachetta.~Rosanne

Grizabella

I put some pants on a guy on one card in the World Spirit with a permanent marker, but that was the only time I absolutely couldn't live with a card as it was. I really don't care what color hair people have or things like that. I just use them as they are, usually. Nothing bothers me enough to alter the cards.

euripides

Interesting question! I'm an artist myself. How would I feel about it? If it was a one-off original, I'd be absolutely livid (though, once a piece is sold, in theory its up to the owner what they do with it, unless you reserve rights, I think), however with a printed, published piece, I think it would be great that people felt they could modify it to suit themselves.

The issue that I have with modifying cards I own is that whatever I do won't meld with the card surface, but will sit visibly on top of the printed layer and be distractingly obvious. I'd probably have to heavily modify the whole deck so that each one has a hand-manipulated surface.

I'm considering buying a second Rohrig so that I can crop the cards. I couldn't bear to do it to my only set.

I think it would be great if artists could include some alternative cards in a deck - like same-sex couples for lovers, alternative Page or Princess cards, that kind of thing. Court cards showing different ethnic backgrounds so you can find a significator to better suit you. (I'm kinda with you on the blondes thing, sapienza, though on the way to letting my grays show, I seem to have ended up with loads of blonde in my hair!) Oh yeah... women with gray hair. That would be nice....

I'll have to look out for an inexpensive deck on sale that I can try modifying. Kinda like the idea.

Euri

manhattan9thgate

Lyric said:
I put some pants on a guy on one card in the World Spirit with a permanent marker, but that was the only time I absolutely couldn't live with a card as it was. I really don't care what color hair people have or things like that. I just use them as they are, usually. Nothing bothers me enough to alter the cards.

I think I know the card you mean, was it the the Devil card?

holy s**t you put pants on on the guy? LMAO!!!

no offense meant, really, that just seems kinda funny :) (and I really like that deck)

actually I shouldn't laugh, there is one deck, can't remember the name where the entire suite is full of pretty boy bleached blondes......looks too "Abercrombie" for my tastes. I must admit after thinking about this that if the decks start looking too much like fashion ads with soap opera actor- models it does kinda turn me off...................pants? LOL

Grizabella

No, not the Devil. It was a pentacles card where the guy was sitting among a bunch of little kids. I haven't used the deck lately, but I think it was the ten of pentacles. The lady on the Devil card with her bare crotch pointed skyward is quite a looker, too, isn't she? But that didn't bother me because there weren't any little kids around.

greycats

I don't see anything wrong in principle with altering a deck if such alteration provides you with a deck you're more comfortable with. Of course if the deck were rare or published for its art or historically important, those considerations might outweigh comfort. Most of the decks we use on a daily basis, however, are none of the above nor do they have much economic value.

I would, as a matter of caution, have another copy of the deck available if it were one I cared about unless the changes were going to be exceedingly minimal. (Or at least I'd check to be sure it hadn't gone out of print). ;)

Sophie

I'd like to put a loin cloth on that banana in the Robin Wood Lovers :D

Otherwise, I tend to take decks as they come. I am not sufficiently talented to alter a card in a way that would satisfy me. But I don't see anything wrong with altering cards - they are yours to do as you please, as long as it's for private use. You have to be able to work with them (and yes! there are too many blondes in the Robin Wood - and only white people - both of which bother me.)

Mystic Leo

I'll go along with that Helvetica, I cant stand that card, loin cloth would be ideal!

At the same time, I dont mind whatever anyone else does with alterations
to their cards, though i just couldn't alter mine...I know if I did i would be very sorry after, and would probably end up putting them in the bin.

baba-prague

Although I joke about being horrified at the idea of people "trimming" our cards, in truth I don't see anything wrong with altering your own cards - if it makes them work better for you, then why not?

In general I rather like the whole customisation/alteration movement (I find some altered books interesting). We have a very old (1910-20) set of Papus cards in which someone has altered the images to fit with their own symbolic system - I find them fascinating.

By the way, I think Alex feels rather differently about this and thinks the designer's original intention should mostly be respected. I agree that some altered cards do end up looking a bit ugly - it depends so much on people's skill. But as I say, my own opinion is that anyone can do what they like with their own cards.