Dreaming in colour

scorpiana

hmm. that's odd- i had assumed that everyon dreamt in color. i can't ever recall having a black and white dream. in fact, color is usually one of the main components of recalling my dreams- a bright red bird or a deep blue sea will stand out in my memory.

Niti

I dream in color as well. I don't remember having dreams that were completely black and white, although I recall having had some with sepia tones, probably going along with some strange theme of the dream itself. Most of them are in color though.

Tavia

Always in colour

I always dream in colour and didn't understand that all the research done on dreams thus far have been on ppl who only or mostly dream in black & white.

Thus I couldn't identify with the fact that most ppl could not see the colour of clothes worn by ppl in the dream, or the colour of the scenery, or the colour of the sky (should there be scenery and sky in the dream).

I also did not realise that dreaming in colour is a rarity - for which I am truly grateful.

mysticmonkey

I Googled this yesterday (sorry don't have the link right now) and apparantly the idea comes from a survey done around the 1950s where an unusually high proportion of people reported having dreamt in black and white. The website suggested that this might be linked to the black and white movies but I'm pretty sure that they had moved into colour by then. Maybe it was connected to tv which started off in black and white around that time?

The survey was repeated in the 70s and a much lower percentage of people reported having b/w dreams.

celticnoodle

I always dream in color. In fact, last night, I had a dream in vivid colors. I remember seeing a litter of newborn kittens and was amazed at how 'colorful' they were in my dream, (I actually remember saying this to whoever in my dream). I also remember seeing a group of young girls about to make First Holy Communion and all dressed in their beautiful white dresses. I remember thinking how clean and white the dresses were! So, yes, I always dream in color, however, I don't ever recall paying so close attention to the colors in my dreams before---they really were the focus point of my dreams last night.

memries

I have always dreamed in color and in fact never remember a black and white dream. Also I have read dogs do not dream which is sheer nonsense as everyone with an animal knows. They waggle their feet and sometimes even give a muffled bark when asleep. About cats I do not know.

I always figured that when they say everyone dreams in black and white they are incorrect.

WolfyJames

I always dream in color on my side but my mother dreams in black and white. Whenever she dreams in color, which rarely happens, it's usully an important and meaningful dream. If it's the case for her, might be the case as well for those who dream in black and white.

Liralen

catbaloo said:
I Googled this yesterday (sorry don't have the link right now) and apparantly the idea comes from a survey done around the 1950s where an unusually high proportion of people reported having dreamt in black and white. The website suggested that this might be linked to the black and white movies but I'm pretty sure that they had moved into colour by then. Maybe it was connected to tv which started off in black and white around that time?

The survey was repeated in the 70s and a much lower percentage of people reported having b/w dreams.

That's very interesting, catbaloo! Oh my, how much we seem to be influenced by television.

huredriel

When I last posted I was pretty sure it was colour but it wasn't something I really thought about ......... this thread has obviously had an effect on me because I definitely remember searching for animal print and pink heart bikinis last night :D

ziplizard

Whenever I remember my dreams, they are ALWAYS in color. My memories are closely tied to colors. I tend to remember a place by a single color before my mind fills in the details so I don't think it's odd that my dreams are strongly tied to colors.

I do find it odd that I hardly ever remember sounds in my dream (unless my alarm is going off :p), while everything else is realistic in them. I may 'know' someone told me something, but I don't remember hearing them telling me that.