Deck Books?

purplelady

I usually get the set if I can, instead of just the deck. I don't usually use one deckbook with another deck though. But some of the books can be used for other decks because they contain spreads or spells. Motherpeace, A way to the Goddess, is a favorite of mine. Celtic Dragon book and Enchanted Tarot book come to mind also. And I'm sure there are many more! Legend:Arthurian is good for 78 different Arthurian tales. I have Tarot of the Spirit book and Wheel of Change book. Both are Huge and I haven't even begun to read either!

Fuzzmello

purplelady said:
I usually get the set if I can, instead of just the deck. I don't usually use one deckbook with another deck though.

I do. I'm finding lots of little insights doing this because very often they use different card titles based on their interpretation. I even like it when some of the Majors are moved to different positions. It feels like I'm exploring!

Fuzz

WolfSpirit

I often treat myself to the boxed set of deck + book, makes it look like a luxurious present :D
As a consequence I have a lot of books I haven't read completely yet (should stop buying now for a while I guess)

I do use the books for another deck if I'm not sure how to interpret a card and want another opinion. Sometimes a few words can get me in another direction.

Cerulean

I use the Renaissance Tarot and Minchiate books by Brian Williams for good reads more than the decks.
I have a few books in Italian that I pick words from---more of a reference than a good read.
The great exception is the Visconti Gold book that comes with the new set. I like this version of the cards more than my other Visconti sets and the book is a great companion.
Mari H.

truthsayer

i use the beginner's guide to tarot" by juliet shaman burke. it's the companion book to the giovanni caselli tarot deck. i really like the way she defines the cards and even shows copies of cards with certain symbols arrowed and explained. just a great set all around!

temperlyne

A bought the witches tarot and book set once and was so dissapointed by the deck that I got rid of it. But I still own the book because it combines tarot with kaballah in a way I understand without having had to study the kaballah and it has given me new looks on the cards.

juice

I've now read the book for a few decks. Each has provided insights. A couple have been overstuffed like the Ellen Cannon Reed books on tarot and kabala, and the Medicine Woman book.

The book I'm currently reading has a nice view of the artists insights and yet I keep wishing more of the details on the cards had been explained. The Voyager book has 1/8 size b&w images that help in finding the card your reading about but don't really let you study the picture from it. The images on the cards are so much more complex than the book describes. As usual I'm getting an appriciation for cards I didn't get before.

I love getting the book+deck sets. Symbolism I don't understand or just didn't see becomes so much clearer after reading the book. But, thanks to 1/2 Price, I own decks and books without their mates. No I have'nt read them all yet which is why I haven't bought any new, to me, ones in more than 2 months.