The Complete New Tarot - Docters van Leeuwen

Pagan X

Here is a little more information:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~balemans/mindgallery/TarotDecks.htm#hersteldeorde

"The Tarot in de Herstelde Orde (Tarot in the Restored Order) is a Dutch deck by Onno and Rob Docters van Leeuwen. They claim that the tarot originally consisted of 80 cards instead of 78 cards. In this deck, they also "restored" the deck to what they claim is the original order (for example, Death and Temperance have been switched).
The deck consists of 80 cards, 24 major arcana and 56 minor arcana. The extra major arcana are Jupiter or De waarheid (Truth) and Juno or Intuïtie (Intuition). All cards, including the minor arcana, contain images, most of which are based on the images of the Rider-Waite Tarot. The four suits of the minor arcana are staven (wands), bekers (cups), zwaarden (swords) and pentakels (pentacles); the court cards are schildknaap (page), ridder (knight), koningin (queen) and koning (king)."

Cerulean

Waiting for the book!

1. Restored order:
This tiny bit of information is earlier than the links mentioned before--those links are much clearer than this:

http://home.pacific.net.sg/~mun_hon/tarot/apr97/original.htm

This mentions an article and the upcoming book way back in the 1990s...it took until 2004 to get an English translation, it seems. I'll wait for the book...sounds interesting.

2. Deck available
The deck is availible through tarotgarden.com (you can see pictures there as well)...

I saw one card on Holly Volley's tarot site in her Ship of Fools page, but other than that, I think people are safe waiting for the book first...although if you are a collector of Waite style decks with a twist, this seems to have clearer and larger images and pretty colors.

It reminds me of Arcus Arcanum and Connolly Tarot, but somewhat softer and friendlier if you like the idea of one or two Greco-Roman deities in your tarot.. The faces look somewhat more stern and less ambigious.

Tarotgarden description:

De Tarot in de Herstelde Orde

Designer(s), Artist(s): Onno and Rob Docters van Leeuwen
Country of Publication: Netherlands
Number of Cards: 80
Publication Year: 1995, 1997
Publication Status: In Print
Composition / Packaging: 80 cards in cardboard box.
Reference: Manteia issue #16, p. 52
Price: $45

3. A similar topic but not restored order:

If people have time and understand different ordering systems for majors, they might like to read this link below. I don't understand a third of what they are discussing:

http://www.psyche.com/psyche/tarot/RevivedTarot/

Cerulean

Book order finally filled.

"Used" copy on Amazon.com -- I ordered it for considerably less than full price.

Amazon.com does list the book finally. This was my first tarot deck purchase for 2004, so I was very curious about the thick book.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1402700873/ref=nosim/aeclectic/

I look forward to browsing through it. I got the deck on Tarotgarden.com and for me, I thought it was an interesting Waite variation. I'll report back.

I generally like the Roberto D'Angelis variation for everyday and to match my other delicately colored decks

Lee

Hi Mari, I agree the scans are reminiscent of the Connolly, in the way the figures are drawn and colored. I like the art on the Connolly, so after giving it much thought, I'm going to order this deck. I'll be interested to hear your opinions of the book. I'm not going to order the book unless you think it's worthwhile.

-- Lee

Cerulean

Ah, Mr. Lee B....

The book is not essential, in my preliminary view.

However if you are puzzled and full of questions, I'll try my best to look up snippets. I know you are a very thorough reviewer, so I bet the questions will be what many others are wondering. So list them to me via email or pm or through this discussion thread and I'll try my best as time allows.

By the way, on preliminary note, if we collected all your essays and included your new tarot in a set, I'd say that's probably more worthwhile to most tarot students in terms of facts. This book takes awhile to digest though, so I may be doing it a disservice.

But they have a unique version of tarot history. Because I have a fondness for some courtly love and King Arthur concepts that span Italian and French literature, this is giving me some context to how some contemporary European authors outside of France and Italy might reconfigure their tarot views and design something to fit their concepts.

Historically, with a closer alignment to French and Italian designs, and fact-finding, Michael Dummet/Ronald Decker is probably a more reliable English source. Even Paul Husan's revised book and some of Stuart Kaplan's old booklets (for the Pierpont Morgan Visconti) to me is a stronger and better buy...

I will be glad to revise my opinion if I find out anything more in answering questions or those who worked with this deck have other suggestions in terms of this deck and book. At the moment, I'm more delighted with my odd modern choices of the Ananda Tarot, Taviglione's style of decks and some unique French-Italian influenced styles of decks...

Best wishes

rota

I checked it out, in its English translation, of course. It's a wonderful read, but I was never able to quite see how they could blithely say that the tarot has "always" had 80 cards... it's as though they assume this information is common knowledge.
Yet, they pull out several versions of the 'Jupiter' and 'Junon' cards with Renaissance-era artwork as a sort of proof of their assertion. This information is certainly news to me. Looking back over the available threads on this subject in Aeclectic shows very little info.

My favorite part of the book involves the assigning of various combinations of T, A, R and O to the various cards as part of their organizational scheme, and the connection of musical tones to the cards. It's a bit like 'The DaVinci Code' for tarot.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing others' reaction to this huge, yet readable tome. Flip thru it in your local bookstore.

VisionQuest

I was looking for Tarot books at B&N today, and came across this book.

I had never heard of there "always" being 80 cards before, lol, so I was quite surprised by this. Also, the passage I read about it implied that any other deck is 'incomplete' if it doesn't have the 80 cards.

I know this probably shouldn't turn me off of a book, but it kind of did.
I felt like I was being scolded for using my 78 card decks lol.

:D :) :D