To Merkstave or not to Merkstave?

calligirl

"Unlike Tarot the Runes decide when and how they want to communicate with you."

Boy, truer words were never spoken! Just be prepared!

caridwen

I throw runes and they often fall face down. This is somewhat confusing to me as well. In many books it says to ignore them but why are they there if they are to be ignored? Surely you take note of what falls? Ideas anyone:)

raeanne

Hi all,
Well, I know that 'my way' of using Runes is different from most of the people here. I don't lay them out in a spread the way you would do with tarot cards. I cast the Runes. I mix them in the bag with my hand and then grab a handful. Sometimes I grab only one or two and sometimes it is eight or ten. I grab what I grab. Then I cup them in my hands and let them drop onto the casting cloth. Some Runes land face up and some land face down. The Runes that are face up can land in any of the 360 degree of a circle. Merkstave, for me, has nothing to do with how the Rune lands. As I am doing a reading, sometimes there is that Rune that just doesn't fit. The energy seems to flow from one Rune to another until I get to this Rune and then things seem to hit a speed bump. When this happen I get the message that this Rune is 'merky' (as in cloudy, not clear). This Runes does not play well with others in this reading. The meaning isn't necessarily negative or the opposite. It can mean to keep this information to yourself; don't let everyone else see this. Sometimes the best thing you can do is to keep your cards hidden for now. Other times it can mean that you don't understand all the facts; things are merky to you. Historically, I think most cultures had some kind of concept of things being easy to see and thing being not so clear. Anyway, that's just a bit of my thoughts on the subject. Enjoy.

Milfoil

Hi Caridwen

MystiquemMoonlight posted this earlier:

MystiqueMoonlight said:
For me if a Rune falls face down it is an indication of it's inactivity in that reading. Unlike Tarot the Runes decide when and how they want to communicate with you.

I've come to the conclusion that a rune face down (depending where it falls) is either something which has not yet come into play or something which had an influence in the past but is now receding.

Milfoil

raeanne said:
When this happen I get the message that this Rune is 'merky' (as in cloudy, not clear). This Runes does not play well with others in this reading. The meaning isn't necessarily negative or the opposite. It can mean to keep this information to yourself; don't let everyone else see this. Sometimes the best thing you can do is to keep your cards hidden for now. Other times it can mean that you don't understand all the facts; things are merky to you. Historically, I think most cultures had some kind of concept of things being easy to see and thing being not so clear. Anyway, that's just a bit of my thoughts on the subject. Enjoy.

Thats a really interesting way of looking at it. Thanks.

caridwen

Milfoil said:
Hi Caridwen

MystiquemMoonlight posted this earlier:

I've come to the conclusion that a rune face down (depending where it falls) is either something which has not yet come into play or something which had an influence in the past but is now receding.

Thanks for that but it's where I got the question from. I was unsure of what 'inactivity' in a reading meant. Inactive as in how? Surely the very fact that it has come up in the rune reading at all means it has a part to play.

What you say as in how you read it makes little sense to me either as I dont' read runes like tarot and don't see them as coming into or losing influence like I would in a three card Tarot spread. I don't do rune spreads, I cast.

I'm going to play with my runes again with what you say in mind, ie something receding or coming into play and see where it leads.

It may also mean that that course is unseen even by the gods, that my fate or Wyrd is subject to change so this may happen or have a bearing but things are still in flux - do you see what I mean?:)

MystiqueMoonlight

When I say "depending where it falls" I too am talking about casting them. In some cases it can be easy to do a simple three Rune read, but yes casting them is the traditional method.

caridwen

MystiqueMoonlight said:
When I say "depending where it falls" I too am talking about casting them. In some cases it can be easy to do a simple three Rune read, but yes casting them is the traditional method.

thanks for pointing that out:)

sharmari

Runes that fall face down when casting

I realize that this issue is a few years old, so this may, or may not, fall on deaf ears, but for others that come after, I will post it just the same. It is my hope that this will give some a clear picture of how to read/ cast your own runes.

When casting runes, some people choose just to cast certain runes, while other cast them all. Either way, it is the same in reference to runes that fall face/ right side down. It does not mean that those runes will never apply to your life. It simply means that they do not apply to that particular reading.

I keep my ruins in a velvet bag with plenty of room to reach in and move them about. Then, I either gather some into my hand and cast them, or I turn the bag upside down, letting them fall where they may. I then remove all the runes that have fallen face/ right side down [being careful not to disturb the postion of the others]. Then I look at the runes as a whole to feel/ sense the remaining runes, and to get a sense of where to begin the reading. Where runes are grouped together, I read them as related to one another. If a rune falls far from the main cluster, then [depending upon the rune, and it's direction] decide whether this is something that is either out of reach at the moment, or something that will come in time. That may sound like the same thing, but it is not, because some things can remain out of reach indefinitely throughout our lives. Depending upon the different paths we choose throughout our lives.

Now, personally, never read/ apply any rune as merkstave [reversed], but, as with anything in life, this is something you must choose for yourself. The direction that the runes face gives me a sense of direction in the reading. Simply follow the path of your read.

Everyone must learn to sense/ read their own runes, and will eventually sense/ feel the right path for themselves. I think you will find that, for the most part, that no two people will read their runes in the same manner. The more you cast them, the more you will understand how listen to them.

Buying or making your own set of runes. This is also a personal thing. When I first decided to begin my path with the runes, I also decided that I would make my own, or have none. I searched for small smooth stones of basically the same size, and then drew a rune on each stone, where I felt it belonged. I did not find all my stones in one place, as it is not always easy to find 24 runes of the same size, and with a flat side to draws runes on. Some I found in my own garden in Syton, while others I actually found on a beach in Skegness, in Lincolnshire, England on vacation/ holiday. It does not matter where you find them. You can buy the stones, if you like. The choice is, as always, yours as an individual.

I hope this helps those whom have come after to get a clearer picture of the runes and how to cast/ read them. I am happy to answer any questions you may have; however, when it is all said and done, you must choose your own path for method you use for divination. All my best & Blessed Be.

Satori

I have a few sets of runes now, and when I cast them now I do the same as what I see most folks here doing. I grab a handful, and let them fall. Those that are face up are read actively.

The others I see as things in my life now that I don't need to attend to for the purposes of the reading. Sort of like, yeah that is there, but for now for this question, let it be. Let it sit, let it percolate. Look at these other things, learn from these other more prominent things.

I think we as humans like what is unseen and hidden. }) So when we see reversed anything, we are more interested in that than in what the message is about!!! Like rubbernecking an accident. Can't take your eyes away from what isn't important to you personally, and then look out, you are swerving to avoid that tree.

Don't know if this actually adds to the conversation.

Nice first post Sharmari. Many thanks!!! ;)